Apr 26- May 1 First Fam Cruise on the Breakaway

This was our first major trip since COVID and our first family cruise! DH and I had been on the Breakaway about 5 years ago but this was a totally different experience with kids in tow(age 3 and 8).

Stateroom: 
Originally we were booked in an ocean view (5164) but got upgraded to a balcony (8164) a few days before sailing. I had booked the first room type for the bathtub but we made due without it. Our balcony room had an unfortunate location one level about the theater. The music from the theater was thumping almost until midnight so I went to guest services the second night to see if we could switch. They really worked hard to accommodate us but I found the offerings a bit strange. Instead of finding me another balcony room for 4, she offered side by side Mini Suites that were not adjoining. I realize two Mini Suites is an amazing upgrade but the logistics of it with two kids wasn't ideal. In the end we ended up with adjoining balcony rooms (12140 & 12142). Location was nice and quiet and also close to Splash Academy.

Dining and Specialty Dining:

Food was great! We were able to try out Taste, Savor, OSheehans, Manhattan Room, Cagneys, Noodle Bar and of course Garden Cafe. I wouldn't shy away from the sit down restos with kids, why limit yourself to the buffet? The same kids menu is available at all the restaurants and they provide a paper menu with crayons. Standouts for me were the Ahi Tuna appetizer, Veal Scallopini,  Indian food and Crispy Pork. Regardless of where we ate lunch or dinner we always ended up at the buffet for the soft serve ice cream.

Entertainment & Activities:

We were definitely not night owls this trip, but we attended an early showing of the comedy show and Burn the Floor. I also watched the late viewing of Six on my own and I really enjoyed it! DH and DS1 participated in the Thriller Dance and DS1 was also excited to dance during the Sailaway party. We watched the Eliminator game show and Battle of the Cake Masters and they were good to pass the time.

Some of the activities we liked were the ropes course (DS1 did the regular and DS2 the mini version), waterslides, ping pong and the sports court. 

Unfortunately the kids splash pad area was closed the whole cruise, I asked and they said for maintenance. The pool under the waterslides was well shaded and less busy than the activity pool. 

Ports:

Harvest Caye - We parked ourselves on the beach but also near the splash pad and this was the perfect location for us! Did a quick walkthrough of the Wildlife Experience before reboarding the ship.

Cozumel - Cabana beach was on my radar especially since entrance to Chankanaab was also included in the price. In the end we weren't willing to chance that they would be booked up (since we were arriving so late). We ended up at Playa Mia instead. The beach and facilities were ok, but nothing to write home about. 

Next time I would pay closer attention to the port times while picking a cruise. 

COVID related changes and observations: 

Definitely can tell that cruising isn't back in full force yet.  Aside from embarkation/disembarkation and the last morning at the buffet, the ship never felt busy. We made a few reservations for dinner and shows but I don't think they were needed really. For a really quiet experience check out the Waterfront, plenty of spots to relax with minimal people around.

I knew in advance that Splash Academy would not have their regular offerings but we still went several times during the the Feel Free Play hours. They had an assortment of video games, board games and some toys for toddlers and babies.

Aside from the pre cruise testing, my 3 yr old had to do additional testing on embarkation and the day before disembarkation. These tests were well organized and aside from the mandatory 15 mins wait didn't impede the vacation much. 

Staff was just as friendly as I remember from last time and on occasion really went the extra mile. On our first day I enquired about where I could get milk for my toddler, fully prepared to make the trek to the buffet or one of the restaurants. One worker told me not to worry and right away radio'd to get some delivered to our stateroom. FYI there are cartons of milk available in the kids corner of the buffet at all times. We would stock up and keep some in our fridge in the room. 

It was a nice reintroduction into the world of travelling! Now the struggle is to stop myself from immediately starting to plan another trip 😊.

• Like 6