Eden Roc vs Marriott Harbor Beach and other thoughts

mahdnc

We booked a Celebrity cruise which leaves Ft Lauderdale on Dec 29 and returns Jan 8. We are arriving FLL on Dec 26 and leave Jan 9 (3 days pre-cruise and 1 day post-cruise).

Originally we had planned on arriving one day before the cruise and then flying out of FLL on the same day the cruise returned. With that original plan in mind, I was thinking of booking the Marriott Harbor Beach using our MarriotRewards points--it would be "free", has a nice beach (from what I hear) and it is close to the airport and port.

With the extra days at port now in our plans, I am trying to determine if there are better pre-cruise alternatives for where to stay for my family (2 kids--will be 14 and 11 yrs old). For instance maybe the extra time before the cruise allows us to stay at nicer hotel/location. My strong preference is that the hotel be within the Marriott family so we can use our points AND that it be beachfront (or something equally entertaining) because of the kids. How does Eden Roc compare to Marriott Harbor Beach? Is it worth considering renting a car and going all the way to Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort for 3 days? I have read tripadvisor, Marriott's website, and these boards and nothing jumps out at me as to what to do.

I would really appreciate opinions, suggestion, ideas, etc.

You cannot use standard award points, you have to use the "stay anytime" point schedule which requires 30% more points (or something like that). This is true for Marriott Harbor Beach. Eden Roc however only requires the standard award schedule for that period. This is according to Marriott's website which allows you to book those hotels using awards.

we were there 2 cruises ago pre cruise 2 nights. we had such a good time it was hard to leave. we had a room where the view to the left was the ocean right below was their awesome pool and to the right was the port and a waterway with amazing yauchts. the beach is very well maintained and the hotel is really nice.

Keep checking the Marriott Harbor Beach. We used standard points this past Xmas with a check-in on the 23rd and departing the 24th. It was terrific. The Tennessee Titans were in the hotel as they were playing the Dolphins, Santa came around the pool in the a.m. and gave out candy-canes, they had breakfast with Santa available and also a tuck-in by Santa for those staying on Xmas eve. All was free except you paid for your own breakfast. He just came around and took pics. etc and gave out little toys for the kids.

We also got a great canvas zipper bag when delivered to our room from the manager, thanking us for staying, and had some other little snacks and goodies tucked away in it. I would highly recommend the MHB it was great to wake up and see the ocean and better yet, watching the cruise ships returning to port (but you have to get up early to see that!!!)

Have a great trip.

Glad to hear that you can use points. I'll just throw in that the one time I was at Marriott Harbor Beach, I'm standing at the front entrance and this slight looking fellow gets out of a car, (I thought to myself that I had seen pictures of this guy before) and the staff starts tripping over themselves to assist him. The manager comes running over......It was Bill Marriott. I subsequently read that this is his favorite hotel. He was kind enough to take a picture with me standing in front of the picture of him that's in the lobby of every Marriott.

One last call for comments. Would esp like to hear about Eden Roc and the Key Largo Marriott property. Marriott's website mentions some big time construction going on at Eden Roc right up to the end of this year (new tower going up) so we may not bother booking that hotel.

Book the Marriott Harbor Beach, its such a beautiful hotel. There is not a single thing wrong about that hotel. And as Howard said, it is Mr. Marriott's favorite hotel. That obviously tells us something about it! The hotel is also close to the airport and port.

Book the Marriott Harbor Beach, its such a beautiful hotel. There is not a single thing wrong about that hotel. And as Howard said, it is Mr. Marriott's favorite hotel. That obviously tells us something about it! The hotel is also close to the airport and port.

I am now thinking about booking that hotel for the single post cruise day that we have planned. Should be a good beach day for the kids and as you pointed out, it is conveniently close to the cruise port and FLL.

I am just not sure that I want to book Marriott Harbor Beach for the 3 pre-cruise nights as well.

I'm not familiar with the other choices, but I've stayed at Eden Roc and absolutely loved it! I got it on Priceline and only paid 60.00 and it was gorgeous. Right on the beach, lovely pool area, very nice grill/bar on the beach side. Big gorgeous rooms, staff was wonderful. I don't think you could go wrong with the hotel. I'll post a link to my pics where I took several of our room.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=acfud4j.5hv5492f&Uy=-6fz88h&Ux=1

Archived