Advice needed about West Bay on our own

FlyGal25

Looking at the excursions available in Grand Cayman on our upcoming cruise (Celebrity Equinox) I am not in love with their offerings. 

I have been exhaustively searching on what to do as many places did not survive covid. 😢

I think we have decided upon taking bus/taxi up to Turtle Center to do the safari package, then walk over to Macabuca for lunch and snorkeling. Catch bus/taxi back to cruise port. 

We dock at 7am, depart at 4pm. 

Turtle Center doesn't open until 8am

I have read that taxi's can be expensive. Thinking we will ask price upon arrival unless someone on here can tell me.

Also, are there lockers available around Macabuca so we can snorkel? I have tried looking online but not finding any information. If anyone can share that makes a huge difference as we can't snorkel without a locker.

Is it easy to catch a bus/taxi over by Macabuca back to cruise port? I would want to leave that area around 2pm at the latest as when we explore on our own I pad in a lot of time to get back.

Any help would be great. Thanks!  

17 hours ago, FlyGal25 said:

Looking at the excursions available in Grand Cayman on our upcoming cruise (Celebrity Equinox) I am not in love with their offerings. 

I have been exhaustively searching on what to do as many places did not survive covid. 😢

I think we have decided upon taking bus/taxi up to Turtle Center to do the safari package, then walk over to Macabuca for lunch and snorkeling. Catch bus/taxi back to cruise port. 

We dock at 7am, depart at 4pm. 

Turtle Center doesn't open until 8am

I have read that taxi's can be expensive. Thinking we will ask price upon arrival unless someone on here can tell me.

Also, are there lockers available around Macabuca so we can snorkel? I have tried looking online but not finding any information. If anyone can share that makes a huge difference as we can't snorkel without a locker.

Is it easy to catch a bus/taxi over by Macabuca back to cruise port? I would want to leave that area around 2pm at the latest as when we explore on our own I pad in a lot of time to get back.

Any help would be great. Thanks!  

Cayman is a tender port, so by the time you're off the ship, you won't have long to wait for the turtle center to open.  There will be taxis at the port, or you can book transport through the turtle center, or at least you used to be able to.  Taxis are easy, though.

Easy walk to Macabuca, I'd contact the dive shop there about lockers, I've never seen them, but I've never looked.

https://www.crackedconch.com.ky/sun-divers

For the return, have the restaurant call you a taxi.

Thank you!

I will definitely contact the dive shop. Hopefully they will have some. 

Any clue as to how much a taxi would cost from pier to West Bay? I am fine with $20-30 but over $40 it would be the bus for us. 

1 hour ago, FlyGal25 said:

Thank you!

I will definitely contact the dive shop. Hopefully they will have some. 

Any clue as to how much a taxi would cost from pier to West Bay? I am fine with $20-30 but over $40 it would be the bus for us. 

Taxi rates vary by number of passengers as well as by distance.  There's an app to calculate your fare.

https://www.explorecayman.com/getting-around-in-cayman/getting-a-taxi-in-cayman

• 2 weeks later...