"Shooting videos and/or taking pictures is not allowed or subject to fee." on an excursion?!?

lasnev

Booked an excursion in Copenhagen and then realized that it said "Shooting videos and/or taking pictures is not allowed or subject to fee."

What does this actually mean? I can't imagine them stopping you from taking photos on a city tour...

Thanks!

My opinion:  It seems to be the standard wording added to excursions where there are any restrictions on photography.   E.g. Dragon Caves in Mallorca doesn't allow flash photography (when in the cave) which was described as 'photography not allowed' on the excursion details, but of course photos were allowed just not with a flash.  Perhaps there is a church or something on the tour where photos are not allowed.

• Like 1

They had a rule in the Vatican when we went into the Sistine Chapel, that photography was not allowed as a business (that paid for the restoration) had the rights to the imagery inside. Other than that I haven't seen anything prohibiting photos or videos.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 4:52 AM, lasnev said:

Booked an excursion in Copenhagen and then realized that it said "Shooting videos and/or taking pictures is not allowed or subject to fee."

What does this actually mean? I can't imagine them stopping you from taking photos on a city tour...

Thanks!

I have seen that also on excursions where you visit a place where you need an extra ticket for taking photographs. The excursion includes the entrances tickets but not the extra fees for photographs. 

This was in La Goulette IIRC.

• Like 1

I've also experienced this on tours where they have professional photographers taking photos who then sell them at the end of the tour (usually for a hefty fee). By telling tourists that they're prohibited from taking personal photos, they are forcing tourists to purchase their overpriced photos if they want to take some paper memories home.

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChC said:

Yeah that is an interesting topic.

I also remember on some excursion, somewhere in historical sites and museums (maybe Egypt and Russia?), that one needs to pay a fee if one is using video cameras or professional cameras. But that was in the time when mobile phone with great camera lens are in mass market.  

You are right with both, Russia and Egypt, about having to pay for a photography license in several sites.

Also there are some museums all around the world which forbid taking photos.