Buying " gift cards" before the cruise

I am thinking of ways to avoid being shocked at the end of the cruise with a large bill.

I was on Carnival site and noticed you can Fun Ship Dollars( ship credit) in $100 and lesser denominations.

I was thinking of buying some when I have extra cash...I have 10 weeks.. so.. if every payday, I bought $100 or so, then I will have almost prepaid my trip.

Now... my question.. if I buy these via credit card, will I get my credit card company exchange rate ( I am canadian) which I am sure is better than what I hear Carnival charges?

Comments and help anyone????

I have been pre buying these the last few months a little at at time to help keep my sail and sign down. Not sure about the exchange rate.

Have you done this before? Im hoping that if I buy them, that I can put them on our account when we get there... and the bill will already be shrinking! lol

Yes you can do this- when you purchase on their website and it asks for your address, in that first address line put in your booking number- you will get an email from them confirming your order and in a couple more days nother stating that the credit will be on your sail and sign- As you can probably tell I have just done this myself- I am glad we are not alone in wanting to reduce the "national debt" before sailing- I know others think of it as letting them use your money but we also book a year or more in advance and we pay on the actual cruise as we go along so we don't have to come up with one big amount when final payment is due

Thank you for the reply!

Have you used Drink coupons as well?

I read somewhere that when you prebuy them, and you want a drink that cost $1 more, then you only pay their 15% tax on that dollar?

Hope that is true... auto taxes tick me off!

I buy one funship dollar each pay (every other week) for 50.00 each.

Funship dollars will state on the back that they need to be sent in- i dont trust the mail and carry them onboard with me and take them to the pursers desk to apply to my cabin account.

(did this for Liberty 2 weeks ago) what ever is left at the end you will get a check under your door for that amount-- you can cash it at the pursers desk before getting off the ship. THey do have an expiration date. today I got another for Destiny in Sept and the date is APril 2008.

--

We also buy photo coupons. (15.00 each coupn- good for dollar for dollar- no saving at all-just photos that are now prepaid)

soda coupons to get soda at dinners only. 4 for 6.80 which are prepaid with tip already included- I expect soda coupons to go up since the price of soda just went up onboard. Buy now to lock in that savings.

We also get drink coupons which will get us a frozen foo foo drink at the shows each night.

best thing about using coupons-- no pulling out sign and sail cards--no signing..everythig is now prepaid.

I read somewhere that when you prebuy them, and you want a drink that cost $1 more, then you only pay their 15% tax on that dollar?Hope that is true... auto taxes tick me off!

that is not true-- most barwaiters will tell you that the coupon is not good for the more expensive drinks.. some wont take them= some will just charge your card the extra. the coupons are good only for drinks that cost under 5.00.

the 15% is not a tax but a gratuity.

I personally would just stick with having shipbaord credti instead of the drink coupons- there is a price limit on the coupons- the bartender one time let my friend use it for a topshelf drink the other time they charged the difference and added the 15%- it just didn't seem worth it to me

I personally would just stick with having shipbaord credti instead of the drink coupons- there is a price limit on the coupons- the bartender one time let my friend use it for a topshelf drink the other time they charged the difference and added the 15%- it just didn't seem worth it to me

Molly- some people use the coupons thinking it will save them money. It does not. The most it saves it maybe 50 cents. Get the coupons only for a prepaid drink is all. Some people complain they are a hassle to remember to take with them out of the cabin- I keep them in my camera case so they are always with me. I also dont have to figure out what to use them for and what they will add extra to my card-or make sure the drink I am ordering is not lower then what a coupon is for.-I only use them for frozen foo foo drink-Pina colada or dirty banana. These cost 4.95 plus the 15% gratutity. (I saved 70 cents each drink--lol

Does Royal Caribbean offer gift cards, or something similiar to purchase?

you would be better asking that question on the ROyal Board- when we sailed the Voyager they did not. They also did away with the drink card right before we sailed. We were kinda bummed but lived

So, Am I Understanding This Correctly. If I Buy 200.00 Worth Of Fun Dollars For Our April Carnival Cruise, The Amount I Do Not Use Will Be Changed Into Cash And Given Back To Me? Will I Be Allowed To Use This For Tips, Excursion, Anything That Would Be Charged To My Onboard Cruise Card?

I read in an earlier post that you could have soda pop delivered to your cabin from a local company for $4 for a 12 pack. I checked the sites listed, but I could not find this offer anywhere. Can anyone tell me where I would go to find this deal? Thank you.

So, Am I Understanding This Correctly. If I Buy 200.00 Worth Of Fun Dollars For Our April Carnival Cruise, The Amount I Do Not Use Will Be Changed Into Cash And Given Back To Me? Will I Be Allowed To Use This For Tips, Excursion, Anything That Would Be Charged To My Onboard Cruise Card?

Yes, if you order fun ship dollars they go right on your shipboard account and will pay towards all of the above that you would normally charge to it

I read in an earlier post that you could have soda pop delivered to your cabin from a local company for $4 for a 12 pack. I checked the sites listed, but I could not find this offer anywhere. Can anyone tell me where I would go to find this deal? Thank you.

I have not ever seen a 12 pack of soda to be delivered for 4.00 (maybe that was the delivery charge) I have seen places like well wishers but they were expensive for soda.

have a cab driver stop at a store before he takes you to the pier to pick up 12 packs of soda.

carnival sells soda coupons-- you get 4 cans of soda for 6.80 which include the gratuity.

Archived