Need special clothes for Amazon?

coolmom&daughter

Hi,

Can someone who's been to the Amazon tell me if a lot of special clothing is needed? You definitely need lightweight clothes to cover up with, right? Long pants, long sleeve shirts? What about rain gear for April? As for footwear, we are planning old "tennies" for muddy trails. Any advice would be helpful.

For our trip to the Amazon last year I bought long pants and long sleeved tops made of a cotton fabric they called gauze. It is light and I felt protected. The insects love me and bite me at any opportunity.

This year I will take the clothes on my cruises to South America and to the Galapagos Islands. I also wear a good bug spray.

Fran

Fran,

Thanks for that info.

We have just returned from the Galapagos Islands and South America and not once did we see any mosquitoes. We were in the Galapagos in early February and up in the Iguazu area in early January. I wore shorts and sleeveless T.shirts whilst on the Galapagos as it was so hot. I had on +35 suntan lotion but did not need any sort of bug repellant.

When we were at the Falls I had on loose linen pants and a soft linen sleeveless top. Again no mosquitoes and yet there was plenty of moisture. Perhaps they come out at night, by then we were inside our hotel.

Jennie

Thanks Fran, for the info. Did you do Malaria meds? We will be taking heavy duty bug spray also, but are opting not to do malaria meds because most people have such unpleasant side affects. Also, we will only be on the river for a couple of days and have read that there are no outbreaks and that the acidity of the water helps too.

Hi,

I did the Amazon a few years ago and the only thing I highly recommend is to buy a potent spray for the outside of the clothes (long pants, sleeved shirt, socks and hat suggested) you will wear when treking in the jungle around Manaus, on flat boat river trips and walk on the Boca de ?? stop. I purchased my spray at REI but I'm sure a hiking store could suggest a brand containg dee. I sprayed only the clothes I expected to wear for those treks, allowed them to dry & and put them in plastic bags to separate them from my 'normal' clothes. There is no need to put toxic bug spray on your body. I had no trouble, no bites and was extremely pleased.

Carol

I would also appreciate any advice regarding the Amazon. We are going in September and know that it is going to be very hot and humid.

Anything else that anyone can think of.

Jennie

;) If you have room bring along some ball caps and t-shirts to trade with or just to hand out. The people at the Boca de ??? stop were very appreciative. This was before 911, I brought a carving knife and took it ashore on that stop. I viewed a typical 'hut' and gave the knife to the "woman of the house" as a token of thanks; she was thrilled. For kids I brought chewing gum, ball point pens and pencils. They flock around you so if you have an adversion to feeling invaded, don't start handing things out at all. (I want to say Boca dela Veria or something similar but I'm having a senior moment.)

Carol

Carol,

That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks so much. It confirms what we were planning to do.

Oops.... meant to say DEET .... not dee. But I'm guessing you knew that. Enjoy, I'm envious and would go back in a heartbeat if I had enough money to do so along with all the other things I want to do.

Carol

Yes, it's Boca de Valeria. We have been advised about that and heard that people even throw items from the ship's balconies to villagers in boats below. It seems like it will be a unique and touching experience.

By the way, any thoughts about rain gear? We are just planning a lightweight slicker that can be folded up and stashed in a small bag.

I remember chosing one Malaria medication over another. It was much more expensive but I didn't want to take any chances with my mental health. As I am going to the other side of South America now as well as Central America, I checked with the travel doctor. He did not suggest any meds for this trip and said that I should be on the ship when the mosquitos come out. I will still spray my clothes and where the light, long clothing. This is the same doctor who felt it was important to have the malaria meds for the Amazon. You will be required to take the Yellow fever shot.

Elisa and Cindy,

I see you are going on the Regal in April. We have just done a 21 day cruise on her from Rio to Valpariso via Antarctica in January. We had wonderful trip on her. Met some great people and saw some fantastic sights.

Jennie

Hi - we will also be on the Regal in April leaving from Manaus. Aussie Gal - do they have coffee cards on the Regal?

Thanks for the info I have read on this posting. We are sorting out which excursions to do.

Nancy

nancycoop1,

I believe they do have coffee cards for the Patisserie. We didn't buy them in the beginning when they were offered. (didn't even know such a thing existed). Towards the end of the cruise we had a drink down there every day, either a hot chocolate or a latte, and they would probably have saved us some money.

Someone mentioned to me after the trip that there were coffee cards, that is the only reason that I know about them.

Jennie

I did a 6 day small river cruise in the amazon , here we all slept in hamocks on the decks at night.the boats would always dock in the middle of the river , away from the shores, so there where very few bugs to worry about. bring good hiking shoes if you are trecking into the jungle because its very mudy and wet. I didnt go on malaria pills, and i'm so glad I didn't. may of the people on the trip became very sick of them , and spent most of thier time , sleeping on the boats.

do bring stickers, small candies ect , if you go into the small villiages , the children will love you for it!

Yes, I did the ship's tours in the Amazon. In Santarem we did a drive through the area that was being stripped of greenery. What a shame. Then we went to an area by a large lake to a place where they showed us how they make foods and how it grows. There were even samples of cooked Piranha.

In Boca de Valeria the natives come to this little town. I believe that they come from far and wide. Many of the children wore ceremonial garb. Some wore very beautiful masks and headresses made of feathers. If you snap a picture of them they expect something from you. Although they would like cash, they also like anything and will crowd you to get whatever you are giving. Some people brought candies and we worried that they don't have access to dental care. I went to the dollar store before leaving home and bought colored markers colored pencils, pads of paper, etc. For about $20.00CDN I was like Santa. The ship had many huge boxes which they lowered to the waiting boats.

I have read and heard that many people toss clothing to the people from the ship's decks. I am glad that I didn't see this as I would hate to see that the people that we came to see are treated like 4th class people. It would be so degrading. We all come from far away to see the life that the indiginous people live. Why would anyone demean them in this way. I am sure that handing it to someone would allow them to keep their dignity.

Fran

Fran - we will be stopping in Boca da Valeria and planned to bring some clothing for the childen. From your posting it seems the best way would be to pass out the clothes individually, - or - is there some central place (school etc.) that we could take them?

Nancy

Thanks Fran for your advice regarding the children. I will do what you did and go to our $2 shop and buy pencils and pads etc. to give to them.

I too abhor the idea of throwing clothes over the side of the ship. It is so demeaning for the locals and there is no way I would be part of that.

I am looking forward to this adventure. If you have any more hints please let us know. I have gone and bought a white long sleeved muslim or cheesecloth shirt to wear when we do the Meeting of the Waters tour. We also have the spray for our clothes to ward off the bugs.

Jennie

Clothing is always appreciated. In fact they seem to appreciate everything they get. Unfortunately mothers will slap their children if they are not being aggresive enough in getting "things". I felt very sad to see that our "gift" to their culture is that we taught them to beg. Please understand that this is MY view of things. You decide for yourself.

Go and look around and visit the school where you may want to leave the things or give them to individuals.

Understand that once you are seen giving things, you will be surrounded by anxious faces and outstretched arms. It almost feels like swarming except that there are no bad intentions. They only want some of what you are giving. They do not want to harm you. I was giving out packages of colored markers at the beginning but soon realized that there were too many hands so I opend the packages and gave one or two markers to each person. The mothers wanted some too. I also have happy memories of smiling faces. I am glad that I went there. I don't think that I will see some of those things again in my life. Through learning about others I have learned a lot about me.

Fran

Franu - I certainly appreciate your insight. Are the samples of soaps, lotions etc. things that would be appreciated? I feel at this point that we will probably take one suitcase with nothing but items for this village. It seems to very tragic that we have so much and they have so little.

Nancy

I am not an expert on the area or its people just another tourist sharing my impressions with you. The people appreciate everything, but I don't know enough about their culture to understand it. I don't know what they really have. Sometimes they are better off in some ways than we are.

I say whatever gifts you give from the heart are the best ones. Don;t worry. I remember watching the ship's crew unloading huge amounts of stuff. I believe that it was things that people left behind and things that could no longer be used on board. I won't be surprised if that is where all of the boots that were discarded after Antarctica went.

Fran

Guest slrman

I live in João Pessoa, Brazil, one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I took a 5-day cruise in the Amazon last year in a very comfortable but rustic river boat. Being a writer, I have composed a short article about it with a few pictures. I will be happy to e-mail it to anyone that asks. Just drop a line to slrman@att.net and I'll e-mail you a Word document about the trip. I also have several other articles about Brazil that may interest anyone traveling there.

As far as clothes, I never wore anything on the Rio Negro, Solimões, and Amazona but Bermuda shorts, a T-shirt and sandals. I used no bug spray and may have gotten two mosquito bites. You should use plenty of sun screen, though, no matter what time of year it is. We took rain gear but never needed it. It did rain but never for very long and we were on the boat enjoying Caipirinhas, the Brazilian national drink. :)

Rather than candles, pens, and trinkets, have some very small denomination Brazilian money. One Real notes and 50 centavo pieces are fine. You will have children sometimes coming alongside when you are stopped near a town showing you caymans, monkeys and other local fauna. If you admire them and take pictures, giving them some money is good bet more than R$2.00 for anything is too much and you will be mobbed. Do NOT touch any of the animals they may have. They will bite.

I was told by our guides to not give money to the children and people that approached our boat,if you do, they will grow up thinking its a way of life. instead buy thier arts and crafts that you will find in the small villages, and give out paper, pens ,clothing , ect instead.

Archived