Need special clothes for Amazon?

coolmom&daughter

Guest slrman

Beijobeijo, your guide was trying to get you to save money for his tip. Chances are they will sell anything you give them to get the cash. Of course, I am only speaking as a Brazilian resident, so believe whom you like. My wife is a Brazilian and she also says cash is better, easier to for you carry and what they really need. When you think about it, giving clothes, trinkets and the like is a bit patronizing, isn't it?

Beijobeijo, your guide was trying to get you to save money for his tip. Chances are they will sell anything you give them to get the cash. Of course, I am only speaking as a Brazilian resident, so believe whom you like. My wife is a Brazilian and she also says cash is better, easier to for you carry and what they really need. When you think about it, giving clothes, trinkets and the like is a bit patronizing, isn't it?

out whole group of 60 people where all under the ages of 20( me included) So i dont really think our guide was trying to save money off, a bunch of teens. and i didnt like it when the small children would approach our boat ,in thier canoes , asking for money . if more people gave money, they might become more agressive and that doesnt seem like a good thing. however when we came to shore and gave candy and books, they where all very pleased.

Thanks everyone, for all the discussion. This has turned out to be a very useful and interesting thread.

The only thing we are not settled on for our trip in a few weeks is excursions in Manaus. We didn't think the cruise line offerings were very good and are thinking about just booking something when we get there. But some things I've read say this isn't a good idea. We did email a couple of tour companies people had recommended and got no replies. We'd appreciate any other advice. Thanks! :)

Elisa and Cindy,

I have been in touch with two companies in Mauas both recommended by other companies that I have been in contact with.

The email addresses are as follows.

receptivo@amazonexplorers.com.br

swallows@internext.com.br

I think we will use amazon explorers.

If you use either, please let me know how they were as we are not going until September. Any other good hints from your trip would be much appreciated.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...

We are also on the Regal South American cruises, B2B on the FLL to Manaus and Manaus to FLL. We have a roll call going for each of these cruises with lots of shared information and answers to questions. Just check the Roll Call Regal thread. Come on over and get acquainted. Sissy

• 2 weeks later...

:)

I live in João Pessoa, Brazil, one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I took a 5-day cruise in the Amazon last year in a very comfortable but rustic river boat. Being a writer, I have composed a short article about it with a few pictures. I will be happy to e-mail it to anyone that asks. Just drop a line to slrman@att.net and I'll e-mail you a Word document about the trip. I also have several other articles about Brazil that may interest anyone traveling there.

As far as clothes, I never wore anything on the Rio Negro, Solimões, and Amazona but Bermuda shorts, a T-shirt and sandals. I used no bug spray and may have gotten two mosquito bites. You should use plenty of sun screen, though, no matter what time of year it is. We took rain gear but never needed it. It did rain but never for very long and we were on the boat enjoying Caipirinhas, the Brazilian national drink. :)

Rather than candles, pens, and trinkets, have some very small denomination Brazilian money. One Real notes and 50 centavo pieces are fine. You will have children sometimes coming alongside when you are stopped near a town showing you caymans, monkeys and other local fauna. If you admire them and take pictures, giving them some money is good bet more than R$2.00 for anything is too much and you will be mobbed. Do NOT touch any of the animals they may have. They will bite.

Sirman..I just e-mailed you for a copy of your article on your Amazon trip..We are leaving April 26 on the Prinsendam & really getting excited now..Thanks everyone for all your ideas..Looks like we should take some real old shoes, as we will be in the rainy season..I have some rubber beach sandals & wonder if they would be appropriate or should they be closed shoes..

Coolmom&daughter...Are you by any chance going on the Prinsendam

April 26..If so would love to have you join our roll call thread..We have a couple of Mother & daughter couples on this thread..Right now there are approx 8-10 of us & looking forward to meeting on board..

Thanks again everyone..Betty

Betty, thanks for asking but we will be boarding the Regal Princess this Friday. Our cruise begins in Ft. Lauderdale and proceeds down through the Caribbean and then into the Amazon. I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise.

Thank you & hope you also have a wonderful time..Our cruise also goes down through the Caribbean & then to the Amazon & return to FLL..It's 25 days, so if yours is around the same number of days might see you somewhere along the line.. Will wave as we pass....Have a wonderful cruise..Betty:)

P.S. Received several of sirman's articles & they are very fascinating..Have learned a great deal about the Brazilians & the country..Will even try to learn a few phrases in Portugese..Umbregado Sirman

Thank you & hope you also have a wonderful time..Our cruise also goes down through the Caribbean & then to the Amazon & return to FLL..It's 25 days, so if yours is around the same number of days might see you somewhere along the line.. Will wave as we pass....Have a wonderful cruise..Betty:)

P.S. Received several of sirman's articles & they are very fascinating..Have learned a great deal about the Brazilians & the country..Will even try to learn a few phrases in Portugese..Umbregado Sirman

OOPS..think that's the wrong language...

I should have said "Agradec Voce Sirman"

my portugese isnt perfect , but are you tryingto say thank you ? if so , its--- obrigado,Sirman.

Thank you beijobeijo..I thought that was it, as have been in both Portugal several times & Brazil several times..Realize my spelling was way off...

But then I went on dictionary.com-translator:

http://dictionary.reference.com/translate/text.html

it said "Thank You" was "Agradec Voce" in Portugese..Now when I put in "obrigado" it comes up as meaning "debtor"..So now I'm totally confused & still don't know what is right...But as sirman says Brazillian Portugese & Portugese spoken in Portugal is completely different..Maybe he will get back to this thread & help us out..

Guess I'll never learn to speak Portugese in three weeks...LOL

But then I went on dictionary.com-translator:

http://dictionary.reference.com/translate/text.html

it said "Thank You" was "Agradec Voce" in Portugese..Now when I put in "obrigado" it comes up as meaning "debtor"..So now I'm totally confused & still don't know what is right...But as sirman says Brazillian Portugese & Portugese spoken in Portugal is completely different..Maybe he will get back to this thread & help us out..

Guess I'll never learn to speak Portugese in three weeks...LOL

oh, online translaters have never been that accurate with me . and Obragado/a is the norm for thank-you in both Brasil and Portugal. I agree that some portugese is diffrent , between the two countries, but thak-you is te same. ( i lived in Brasil as an exchange student , so i'm fluent - just a little rusty! , and was in portugal last summer , backpacking.) anyways enjoy your trip .

oh, online translaters have never been that accurate with me . and Obragado/a is the norm for thank-you in both Brasil and Portugal. I agree that some portugese is diffrent , between the two countries, but thak-you is te same. ( i lived in Brasil as an exchange student , so i'm fluent - just a little rusty! , and was in portugal last summer , backpacking.) anyways enjoy your trip .

Ok Thanks so much..at least when I now say obragado (will pronounce it right now) I'll not have anyone punch me in the nose..LOLThanks again..

• 3 weeks later...
Fran,

Did you do the ships excursions when you were up the Amazon or did you use private guides and if so, which ones?

Jennie

Hi Aussie Gal,

We are just back from our Valparaiso to Lisbon cruise. Thanks again for your email with advice. We really enjoyed the cruise - great tours with private operators in Puerto Montt, Buenos Aires, Punta Arenas, etc. Found Rio, Salvador, and Recife very interesting - if somewhat hot and humid - a taste of what to expect on our next cruise.

We too are looking forward to the Veendam cruise in September. I checked out Amazonas by Viverde for Manaus but confirmed that they cannot do tours when ships are in port. They referred me to Amazon Explorers -

www.amazonexplorers.com.br/en/mamiraua.php

I communicated with Kátia Braga at

receptivo@amazonexplorers.com.br

After several back and forth emails we confirmed the following - I love her English - sure is better than my Portuguese would be!! :) I know her email is a little confusing but I confirmed in a separate email that the price is $95 per person for both tours. The "private" city tour is $50 each and the meeting of the waters tour is $45.

Dear Mr. Doug.

Thank you for your message.

I just organized the 2 tour for you.

Follow the program:

Oct. 17 - At 02.00 pm - pick up in the dock - start the city tour.

Places to visit in: Municipal market, old center of Manaus, Opera House, Indian Museum.

At 05.30 - finish the city tour.

Oct. 18 - At 08.45 am - pick up in the dock - Go to the boat.

The boat leaves 09.00 am and come bacj 03.30 pm.

You have lunch included.

Excursion - Meeting of the waters, go to visit the waters lilies lake, tour by small canoe exploring the small rivers , stop to buy hand craft.

U$$ 95.00 each one .

I will try to go there, to introduce the guide to you , and to receive the payment ( only cash).

BEst regards from The Rain Forest !!

The City tour is a private tour for four (two of us and our friends from San Diego). The meeting of the waters cruise is their standard daily cruise. The price seems great since the HAL price for two similar tours is about $150. I also like the fact that we do not pay until we get there.

Crusing Boomer

Cruising Boomer.

You will not believe this but I booked the same two tours with Katia about 6 weeks ago. There are four of us doing the two tours Our private city tour of Manuas is at 9.30am and of course the boat trip is the next day at 9am and is the same one that you are taking.

Glad you enjoyed the South American cruise, it is such an interesting part of this world.

Jennie

Cruising Bloomer,

We haven't found anything for the other 3 Amazon ports. DH and I are going to do a ship's excursion in Santarem as it is a Sunday and nothing is open.

In Parintins I believe it is fun to ride on tricycle and much cheaper to do it yourself and go to the folkloric show than go with the ship's excursion.

I don't think there is much to do in Boca Da Valeria.

Perhaps someone who has been to these places can help us out.

Jennie

for ports- go to parintins , the Boi Bumba festival is amazing there is such rivalry between the two teams Caprichoso and Garantido. they have dance, and music copititions. between the two teams- its amazing- every one is in blue or red for suport. its amazing to watch

We're back from our Regal Princess cruise up the Amazon. :)

We had a nice time and the Amazon region is so interesting. But, be wary of currents when going UP-river. We got stuck on a sandbar and had a hard time fighting the current and lost our stop at Boca de Valeria because we were behind schedule.:mad: All-in-all our Amazon port time was cut in half and we were disappointed in that, but we still went there, saw it, and loved it. Let me know if you have any questions I can help with now that I've been there.

Elisa and Cindy,

Thanks for getting back to us. I hope you enjoyed your time on the Regal as much as we did in January.

Did you take the ship's excursions or did you use Private Guides in the ports other than Manuas. Did you find it unbearably hot and humid or were you able to cope with the weather?

Jennie

We just returned from the Regal Princess trip from Manaus to FLL and loved it. It was very hot and humid in the Amazon, but the bugs were not nearly as bad as we had been afraid they might be. Just be careful of the sun and wear lots of sun screen.

It was an amazing trip and we are so glad we went. If you are going to take items to Boca, I would recommend delivering them to the school to be distributed from there as it is just crazy the way the kids crowd around. Be sure to take a look inside one of the houses.

The laundry on the Regal is free (just pay for the soap) and we had no trouble finding machines open.

Let me know if you have questions.

Nancy

Jennie, I want to answer your question about tours because that was one of our big concerns before we went. We ONLY used ship excursions. The reasons for this are that 1) we had a very hard time finding independent guides to book beforehand through the internet/email and 2) an Amazon expert told us that the cruise ships book out all the best guides for their tours. Also, we found that Manaus and Santarem were a little hard to maneuver in. There were some people offering tours at the dock but not like some other ports of call where there are many excellent, cheaper choices once you get there.

I should also probably defer to those who did both legs of this cruise since, as I mentioned, our time in port was cut quite short.

We did enjoy the tours we took, and the guides were good, but everything was cut short.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Elisa and Cindy,

We are definitely doing a ship's excursion in Santarem for two reasons. One it is a Sunday and I don't think much will be open and secondly I haven't heard of any tour guides there. We have lined up a private tour guide for our two days in Manuas though.

Can you tell me what malaria medication you took and did you see many mosquitoes while in the amazon region? Also did you see many other odd insects etc. Did you find that you needed to stay indoors most of the time whilst there?

Sorry about all the questions.

Jennie

Don't worry about all the questions. :)

We had a lot before we went too.

You are wise to do ship's shore ex in Santarem, for both the reasons you mentioned. It seemed like Santarem is just getting their tourism going and I didn't see too many options for tours. There were a some people with signs and taxis at the pier, but who knows what those are like. We don't know anyone who did that.

As for the malaria, we did NOT take any meds and for this time of the year, they were not necessary. During the rainy season, Jan.-May, there is so much water that it is always moving. Therefore mosquitos aren't too much of a problem. We DID wear high DEET content insect repellant and didn't get a single bite. There are a lot of insects there, actually a lot of beautiful, harmless ones, but I definitely wouldn't say you have to stay inside because of it. While the ship is moving, the breeze keeps the bugs away. In port, we didn't think it was too much of a problem either.

Just FYI, it seems most people on the ship did take Malarone. One couple who ate dinner with us took Lariam. We heard of no one having side-effects, which is interesting since that is the main reason we didn't take them.

Hope this helps you and any others who might be poking around. I know I could have used a lot of this info before I left also. If it's easier for you, you may email me with more questions at egalicia29@yahoo.com

Archived