Does Celebrity hand over the passport of positive testes passgrs. to the dutch immigration?

cavaaller

There is this post on the rollcall for the april 30 TA on Apex where passengers had to chase down their passports landside.
If I understood it correctly Celebrity had handed it over to immigration because they were assumed to have tested positive for Covid.

Did this happen to anyone else?

and if yes, what is the procedure?( In Italy you have to proove that you have a quarantine-hotel or bnb where you can complete the isolation, how are the rules in the NL?)

Edited by cavaaller

How would they even get a hold of the passport? I never ever handed my passport over on any cruise (or hotel) and to get mine they'd probably need the authorities in the first place. I certainly wouldn't give it to them.

So yes, I had a positive covid test from the medical centre, and the Dutch Customs folks came to my cabin and collected my Passport.  Not optional.  I am to pick it up tomorrow when my 5 days of isolation are completed (no further testing required).  I am currently isolating in a hotel in Amsterdam.  My husband and I are in Europe until mid June, so this represents a challenge- but not a disaster!  We have cancelled a flight, plans to stay with friends, and rebooked trains and hotels to see Brugge (missed due to isolation) and Lyon, thru to Milan.  Such is life.  And this is not the fault of Celebrity- they were blindsided by Customs and had no recourse.  That being said, someone to call and have the correct information would be helpful, as the wrong address for passport pickup was distributed when we left.  I expect that the costs for cab fare and extra hotel nights will be submitted for refund- and we will see what happens! I discovered the address error thru the Facebook page that was set up for our trip-thanks Mark!!.  Anyway....there are worse things in this world than this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Typically your passport is taken at check in at the pier and returned during the cruise

I've only occasionally had my passport taken at check-in.   South American and India were the ones I remember most.   For our TA to Southampton we never relinquished our passports nor  have I ever had it taken or a European crossing.   Having said that I am traveling on a U.S. Passport and have seen some residents of certain countries have to relinquish their passports.

3 hours ago, sandbug2 said:

So yes, I had a positive covid test from the medical centre, and the Dutch Customs folks came to my cabin and collected my Passport.  Not optional.  I am to pick it up tomorrow when my 5 days of isolation are completed (no further testing required).  I am currently isolating in a hotel in Amsterdam.  My husband and I are in Europe until mid June, so this represents a challenge- but not a disaster!  We have cancelled a flight, plans to stay with friends, and rebooked trains and hotels to see Brugge (missed due to isolation) and Lyon, thru to Milan.  Such is life.  And this is not the fault of Celebrity- they were blindsided by Customs and had no recourse.  That being said, someone to call and have the correct information would be helpful, as the wrong address for passport pickup was distributed when we left.  I expect that the costs for cab fare and extra hotel nights will be submitted for refund- and we will see what happens! I discovered the address error thru the Facebook page that was set up for our trip-thanks Mark!!.  Anyway....there are worse things in this world than this.

Interesting to hear.  So it was indeed the Dutch authorities that collected you passport and not Celebrity. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Interesting to hear.  So it was indeed the Dutch authorities that collected you passport and not Celebrity. 

Actually, Celebrity collected them now that I recall.  I was confusing with British customs who came to the door to do the face to face.  Covid- brain fog.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sandbug2 said:

Actually, Celebrity collected them now that I recall.  I was confusing with British customs who came to the door to do the face to face.  Covid- brain fog.  

Ahh..  we tested positive on the 1st cruise out of Southampton and it was considered a closed loop and no passport control for any of the passengers.   We had to do passport control on the TA.

I remember seeing the Suit Manager collect the Passport of the Cabin Next Door who had tested positive on the TA.

Edited by Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Ahh..  we tested positive on the 1st cruise out of Southampton and it was considered a closed loop and no passport control for any of the passengers.   We had to do passport control on the TA.

I remember seeing the Suit Manager collect the Passport of the Cabin Next Door who had tested positive on the TA.

that makes sense. 

Maybe we will know more when the current tour (british isles) comes back to amsterdam.