Airtran?

xray

With airlines like Delta and others having financial problems, would you be hessitant to book with Airtran. Flying out of Gulfport, MS. limits my choices so it really comes down to Delta, AA, and NWA (or is it SWA). Opinions please.

Thanks,

Cliff

I live in Philly and was very hesitant to book Airtan, esp given their history. But I've used them twice now to MCO and I've been very impressed. Good prices, good service, planes were all new, and I was able to reserve a specific seat (that may not be true of all their fares though, I'm not sure). I will continue to use them on short runs to FLA. Much better than SW.

Airtrans has been in the black and been having profits while all the big airlines have been going under since 9/11!! and what history are you talking about with Airtrans?? The ValuJet crash in the everglades?? All the airlines have had crashes!!!

No matter who you like to fly with, you can thank the discount airlines like AirTrans, and SouthWest for keeping the prices down on flying!! It's really been interesting to watch the huge Delta try and destroy ValuJet/Airtrans since it began here, and to now see the tables turned is very interesting!!

I've flown Air Tran numerous times, I'm booked on them from PIT to MCO for my Mariner cruise in April. It's an excellent airline flying mostly new Boeing 717's, which are extensively upgraded DC-9/MD-80's. Great airplanes when they were designed and they really gotten better with experience. Last time I was on Air Tran, they were adding XM satellite radio to the fleet. I've had better luck with AT than US Air, and certainly better prices than any other airline.

Wraithe

We love AirTran and will book with them when we can. Go to their own website and you will get better fares than the online sites they are listed on. As far as I know, they have a very good history and are one of the few airlines making money.

The AirTran flights I took in December did both have XM radio with complimentary headphones. The airline seemed decent, but I did learn someting ... the window seat on all of the planes I was on had a smaller "under the seat" storage space than the other seats as the legs of the seats were not spaced proportionately. This is the only time I've had trouble placing my backpack under a seat.

I will be flying AirTran after my cruise from BWI to MSP and they were about $40 cheaper than American.

~JS

AirTran was $300 cheaper per person for me than USAir. I was shocked! I couldn't get a direct flight from DC to MCO for less than $600 on USAir, on AirTran I booked it for $213.

We are going Easter Sunday which I think had alot to do with prices.

Yes, boy do I agree about lost luggage and Delta!! and actually up until about a year ago, Airtrans had more seat room in coach then any of the big airlines, but have noticed they have decreased the amount of room the last few flights with them!!

My wife had to fly back home from our cruise yesterday (so we could get our dogs out of kennel, before it closed till monday) and I gave her a business class upgrade for Valentines day!! she says she is never going to fly anything else!!

Even though we didn't have assigned seats, had to connect in Atlanta, we had a great rate (haven't had one like that since). We are 5, so flying is expensive. The best part was our flight attendant. She was hilarious! When we landed - she got on the PA and thanked us for flying and right before the seat belt sign when off she said "on your mark, get set...... everyone was laughing. She really had a few one liners that made the trip quite enjoyable. I wish I had written them down!!:D

Archived