Covid Testing pre-cruise

This is our first Alaska trip. We are flying to Vancouver from Florida early on  Thursday morning and board the ship on Saturday. Can we do the pcr testing in Florida on Wednesday for the cruise? I read 3 days so I wasn’t sure if that is Wednesday or Thursday. If we have to wait, where could we get it done in Vancouver? We are staying near airport and won’t have a car. Thank you for your help.

Welcome to Cruise Critic @Warrior family! You could do the proctored eMed antigen test in your hotel on a laptop or iPhone, or there is a testing facility in YVR airport.  Also one next to Canada Place cruise port and others.  Lots of info here in many threads on the subject.

Have a wonderful cruise!

~Nancy

See https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada 

for requirements to enter Canada.

As others have said, you can take it a variety of ways. Depending on where you’re staying and your comfort level in running around Vancouver,, I’d be tempted to either bring a test and use remote proctoring in the hotel or test in the airport.

I’ve spent a lot of time in the Vancouver area, and am perfectly comfortable pretty much anywhere in the area.

I just downloaded this info from Holland America the Alaska/Canada rules.

HEALTH AND SAFETY GUIDELINES
FOR ALASKA & CANADA/NEW ENGLAND CRUISES
Our Alaska and Canada/New England cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14
days prior to the beginning of the cruise and can provide a negative viral PCR or medically observed antigen COVID-19 test taken before embarkation.
Guests under 5 years of age do not need to be vaccinated. Children between the ages of 5-11 who are not vaccinated may request an exemption at the
time of booking and if approved may be subject to additional testing, fees and protocols. Children under 2 years of age do not need to be tested prior to
cruising. We operate fully vaccinated cruises that meet CDC requirements. Exemptions are limited and not guaranteed.
PROOF OF NEGATIVE COVID-19 TEST
Guests who are up to date with their vaccines or fully vaccinated may take
their COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours prior to sailing or a medically
observed antigen test within 2 days before sailing

So, you could take the PCR test within 72 hours of sailing  (in Florida on Wed. after sailing time on Sat. I guess assuming three hours time dif.) or a observed antigen test within two days (anytime Thursday) before sailing.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/Health_Sanitation/2022/0504-alaska-canada-health-protocols.pdf

Rules FOP man posted seem to be for unvaccinated travelers. . . .

Edited by 12cruise2

19 hours ago, Warrior family said:

This is our first Alaska trip. We are flying to Vancouver from Florida early on  Thursday morning and board the ship on Saturday. Can we do the pcr testing in Florida on Wednesday for the cruise? I read 3 days so I wasn’t sure if that is Wednesday or Thursday. If we have to wait, where could we get it done in Vancouver? We are staying near airport and won’t have a car. Thank you for your help.

PCR testing window is precisely 72 hours from time of test until time of your scheduled boarding. Since you're in EST, if you test at home that means Saturday 1pm boarding here would give you from Wednesday 4pm or later local time to take your test - but to avoid hassles with pier staff who might miscalculate that Florida is Ahead of Vancouver not behind, I'd say get it done Thursday morning - that way you have a valid period running into Sunday with no possibility of any confusion stopping you boarding!

If you can still score a free PCR test in Florida, great - if you have to pay then for comparison the going rate is CAD$79+tax here, or ballpark US$60, for an Antigen test with PCR a lot more (and not needed for cruising). Taking an eMed or similar online test at home, or in a hotel here precruise, will save you a lot of cash if you're a family compared to lab testing!