What to See When Leaving NYC

Sexydva74

Sailing out of Manhattan is a great experience - possibly at its best just as the sun is going down, making the west-facing buildings glow, their windows shining gold with reflected light,  then passing under the Verrazano bridge as the lights strung on the suspension cables come on like diamond necklaces.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Sailing out of Manhattan is a great experience - possibly at its best just as the sun is going down, making the west-facing buildings glow, their windows shining gold with reflected light,  then passing under the Verrazano bridge as the lights strung on the suspension cables come on like diamond necklaces.

That sounds lovely - I can't wait!

Open House New York is sponsoring a one-day New York Harbor cruise next month, August 25, 2022, via Circle Line Cruises, departing from Pier 83 (West 43rd Street) that will provide a view of the industrial infrastructure comprising New York Harbor. Unlike the mega-vessels used by Norwegian Cruise Line and similar mass market lines, the smaller vessels used by Circle Line can provide a more navigable and intimate close-up experience. As well, the port director for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is scheduled to provide commentary during the cruise. For anyone in New York on this date, this would certainly be a fabulous opportunity to see our harbor. http://www.eventbrite.com/e/sunset-boat-tour-explore-our-regions-port-infrastructure-tickets-383001597087

• Like 3

On 7/18/2022 at 1:51 PM, GTJ said:

For anyone in New York on this date, this would certainly be a fabulous opportunity to see our harbor.

I wish I could be there.  Thanks for your informative historical post about the railroad history along the New Jersey shore.  Sailing along Manhattan, New Jersey gets ignored by most guests.  I know much less about the rail history along the West side of the Hudson, but, I do know and remember bits and pieces that make me have some appreciation to what that side of the Hudson has contributed to the maritime history of New York harbor.  The old Hoboken piers of HAL, the Maxwell House Coffee clock, the significance of Ellis Island (which, I think, has been underappreciated for years), and the miracle landing in the Hudson of that US Air flight:  so much history!  

• Like 1

That is good information about leaving the Manhattan Terminal.  Our ship will be heading east, I assume, with a destination of Boston.  What is there to look out for once we are out of the NY harbor?

22 hours ago, ssawjo said:

That is good information about leaving the Manhattan Terminal.  Our ship will be heading east, I assume, with a destination of Boston.  What is there to look out for once we are out of the NY harbor?

When your ship is in the Lower Bay (beyond the Bridge), you may be able to see Coney Island.  The ship will gain speed and proceed on out to sea, further away from land.  Won't be much to see at that point.  

After passing under the Verrazano Bridge your ship will slow to drop off the Sandy Hook pilot.

About the same time, if you look to starboard (your right), you should be able to see the three mile long pier coming out into the lower harbor from the Earle, NJ Naval Ammunition station - where naval ammunition is held.

• Like 1