Remove Guest from Reservation

missnd

My apologies if this has been asked and answered.  I did read through the Tips for Newbies thread (yes, all 47 pages) and the Google Doc, both of which were incredibly helpful in answering all of my other questions.

I am a single person and tend to travel solo, but I remain positive that someday I will find my person or just a friend who I can handle sharing a room with for 10 days.  I have been told by other cruise lines that it is better to book for two (with just a placeholder name) and then remove the placeholder if I will be traveling alone rather than booking for one and trying to add someone later.

Does anyone have experience with this on Azamara?  Does the same guidance apply to book for two and remove the second guest later rather than booking for one and trying to add later?

I do realize that I will be paying for two either way most of the time.

I travel solo sometimes when my husband has to work.

I make a reservation for a solo (Azamara has often a solo special rate and does not double the price like Celebrity for ex. on every cruise..

The special solo rate is 30, 20% above the one person normal double rate.

Last March, my husband decided to accompany me on the cruise, at the last minute.

We paid the extra taxes and the difference between the solo rate and the double rate.

One phone call from my travel agent made it possible, 

i would never reserve a double if I am not sure that the second person will be there.

• Like 1

Thank you for the responses so far.  On other lines, I've heard stories of booking as a solo, but then when trying to add a second person, they wanted to re-book the whole reservation, which often resulted in a higher price because fares had increased since the initial booking.

I have had a few issues with solo rates with several cruise companies. Changing occupancy and names. Being totally transparent and honest, Azamara have always been the best with adjusting the cost at a later date when and if a better deal has come along.  Doesn’t always feel you’re doing the right thing booking online and paying double, especially if a different offer is available in a different sales region. 
I don’t cruise with Azamara as much as I would like or as much as most on this board, however, I have come to value the ladies in reservations very highly. 
Call and have a chat with one of them.  I have no doubt any one of them will talk through every option you have going through your mind.

If those ladies ran the company I’m sure everything would run smoothly. 

• Like 2