What's the difference between casual and informal nights?

Balamb

I will be cruising on X for the first time in less than two weeks, and in thinking about packing, I realize I am not familiar with the difference in casual dress versus informal dress in the dining room at dinner. I have cruised on other lines, so I am well versed in the formal night apparel, but on the other lines, the other nights were all the same - dressy casual. What I read on X's website confused me even more. For informal, it says pants and a blouse for women. For casual, it suggests a pantsuit for women. I would think it makes more sense the other way around! Can any of the female X'ers out there tell me how they dress on those nights? Is there really a difference? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi-I'm leaving on my 7th X cruise in a month. On my previous cruises, I wore a pantsuit on "informal" nights (DH wore a jacket with or without a tie). On casual nights I would wear slacks and either a blouse or a knit top. This year I have changed and on "informal" nights I'm wearing black slacks and different types of "dressy" blouses (just bought three new ones:D ). DH is still wearing slacks, a jacket and will decide on the tie later.

Hope this helps,

Lucy

Informal is the old term for semi-formal. A bit dressier than casual. Some will be wearing cocktail dresses and others will be wearing the equilivent of "church" clothes. Just dress nicely and you will fit in just fine.

For "informal" I,too,usually wear a pantsuit. For "casual" ..nice slacks and either a nice t-shirt, blouse or sweater set. If I were going to be in a hot climate the entire vacation, I may bring more very lightweight, easy- to- pack summer pant suits. If I did that, I would just interchange the informal/casual. It's a good idea to have a sweater or jacket in the dining room.

Never noticed any difference, so I like this question!!! Some people just dress "chic" all the time and some people always look downright scruffy!! Even on formal nights there are shorts to be seen!!!

We cruise a lot and have "cruise clothes". Except on formal nights when we always wear short cocktail dresses, we just try to look nice!!! Would not wear shorts or jeans in the evening.

The most important thing is to have a jacket or shawl, as most of the ships are freezing cold!!!!! We find smart twin sets with pants or skirt work very well.

Thanks for the compliment - some people take pleasure in shocking others. We like to look nice when we go out - I happen to believe that you can be comfortable looking smart as easily as looking scruffy!!! Obviously, not everyone agrees!! So be it - each to his own!!!

Just have a good time!!

BTDookie - I looked at "this" - clear as mud!!!! Perhaps we should 'phone the fashion police - i.e. fp11!!!!!

packed - they both sound fine. For informal - I have a dressy top with a chiffon type of skirt. Or if the skirt is tight (gulp) I have some nice black pants that work with the same dressy tops. Mr Wolf will do a silk t shirt with a jacket. He did the tie thing the first few times but balked when he said only men over 60 were wearing ties - all the other men had jackets but no ties. Hey - he's at the mid life crisis age so I had to laugh at him.

packed - they both sound fine. For informal - I have a dressy top with a chiffon type of skirt. Or if the skirt is tight (gulp) I have some nice black pants that work with the same dressy tops. Mr Wolf will do a silk t shirt with a jacket. He did the tie thing the first few times but balked when he said only men over 60 were wearing ties - all the other men had jackets but no ties. Hey - he's at the mid life crisis age so I had to laugh at him.

I'm glad to see posts about jackets with no ties. DH was balking alittle about all the tie nights. This will be better for him.

You mentioned a skirt being "tight":eek: . All my tight things will have to be at the beginning of the cruise and will need to take a muumuu for the last days:D .

Archived