Never been to Bermuda, how does it compare to the Caribbean?

kittygrace

I have been on several cruises around the Caribbean but never to Bermuda. I'm just wondering how it compares. Particularly climate and safety issues. With the ships being docked there for several days, I'm hoping it's safe to wander around the island on your own, perhaps rent a car. Some other places in the Caribbean I wouldn't have wanted to do that. Any thoughts? Also what's the most economical time to go?

We have done the Boston to Bermuda seven times and will be going again this May. Cars can not be rented in Bermuda. They have a very good bus system. A three day pass is $27 and includes umlimited use of the buses and ferries. Motor bikes and be rented but they are very dangerous. The cruise season for Bermuda runs from about mid May till mid October. We have got the best rates in October. Where are you planning on leaving from? I feel very safe in Bermuda. We have gone in both May and October and have found the weather to be very nice. Warm enough for the beach. You can definitely go out on your own. What kind of things do you enjoy doing?

Bermuda to us is beyond compare to any Carribean Island and/or S American country..

The only Islands I like more are the Sandwich Islands , The State of Hawaii.

Bermuda your able to even leave your door open if you were lucky enogh to have a cottage house there..

IR:NYSE Ingersol Rand is there as its HQ from the next town over from us here.. taxes are so much better in the basis points there too.. the Gardens are supurb and the Public Transport as mentioned is low cost but many years ahead of anything here on the mainland (USA).. our armed forces have been there since the late 1700's it was discovered by a ship heading to Jamestowne colony....((VA))..

Look online at DATA too so you know more about it.. but a Stern Warning ..better than a Bow warning.. Once you go there you will always return*S*

The cruise lines make the most profit from this run too ..

Airfare from NJ Liberty here and NY JFK RoundTrip is only $49.00 yes that not a misprint..

Try it you will not just like it you will Love it(\:-)/))

I have not been to Bermuda since 1976 but to quote a song of theirs "Bermuda is another world several hundred miles at sea, And the way that people great you is like a friendly melody."

I have always wanted to go back but have not for various reasons. One story that I have is that I also went in '75. These were College Week trips. I stayed at the Grotto Bay Hotel. In '76 a group of us went back there for the nightly entertainment and I managed to see the waiter that I had in '75. Not only did he remember me by the nickname he gave me (he gave everyone at our table one), but he told us he would meet us at the "40 Thieves" the next night. He did, spent the night with us and then shared a cab back with us back to our hotel and paid the cab fare while leaving his bike in downtown Hamilton saying he would go back to get it the next day.

This is about as low key as you can get. There was never any pressure to buy anything on the entire island. After 1 week there, I found it hard to be back home.

Elbow Beach, Horsehoe Bay, The Lighthouse, St George and so many other locations are beyond beauty. Playing a round of darts with the Island champ at the Swizzle Inn, Crystal Caves.... I could just go on and on.

I hope this helps.

My wife and I prefer Bermuda over the Caribbean. We have been to Bermuda several times.

We enjoy the beauty of Bermuda. We will much safer there realtive to the Caribbean. And, we don't feel like someone is trying to sell us something everywhere we turn.

Keith

Bermuda is pretty, tidy, well-kept and safe. There is no poverty. You don't get hustled and hassled. The locals are relaxed and very friendly and they are not pushing anything. It is expensive but if you are on a cruise ship, you don't need accommodation or meals. The roads are narrow and twisty but have good surfaces. You can rent scooters but if you don't have any motorcycle experience, forget it. We would love to go back.

One of my favorite places. Everything is so clean and well cared for. It's really great staying in port for so many days and enjoying the island. Very easy to get around by bus, ferry or taxi.

• 3 weeks later...

We are just in the beginning stages of picking a cruise and Bermuda is high on our list of places to go. I'm looking forward to reading these boards for the next few weeks/months while trying to make a decision.

We are ready to try something a bit different than the Caribbean. Been there/done that too many times.

If you have any tips or tidbits to help us decide let us know. Our other choice would be the Pacific Coast of Mexico.

Bermuda is as close to Paradise as it gets. Beautiful Island, lovely people,

safe, clean, It doesn't get any better. Cruise ship is a nice way to see Bermuda. We are going on our fourth cruise to Bermuda on the Celebrity Zenith May 13th. Try to find a ship that at least spends a couple of days in ST. Georges. Fall is the best time for fares, however the Atlantic can be pretty unforgiving at that time of year. May, June, and July usually have a quiet ocean. Even if the trip down is a little rough in the fall, Bermuda is usually nice. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We first visited Bermuda in 96 with a large group of extended family members. I have been all over the Caribbean and my alltime favorite Island is Bermuda. It is a very proper English island and the islanders are extremely friendly. The biggest impact I remember is that my wife was 5 months pregnant and we were waiting for a bus in Hamilton with several school children. They graciously let us on the bus first and a young lady offered my wife a seat on the bus. Not to say this wouldnt happen in the US but its rare. I have been chomping at the bit to get back there and I might have the family convinced to take a cruise there in September 06. Walt Disney world is the other choice so the competition is tough. I suggest relax and enjoy.:cool:

I've been to many of the islands in the Caribbean, and love them. But I do enjoy Bermuda a lot more.

I find Bermuda much more upscale, and definately cleaner. You would be hard pressed to find a piece of litter or any graffitti anywhere.

It's nice to be able to relax on the beach and not have someone hawking hair braiding and jewelry every two minutes. If you want to relax, this is the place! You can't beat the pink beaches.

It's easy to get around-- the bus system is fabulous.

There's plenty to see and do, and lots of excellent restaurants.

I still go to the Caribbean, but I am now planning on making a trip to Bermuda at least once a year as well.

We are just booked on the new Crown Princess for 9/30/06 out of N.Y. Red Hook, Brooklyn is the new pier. This is a 9 day cruise with stops at Grand Turk, San Juan and Bermuda. We were there about 16 years ago and we're looking forward to going back. Do not rent scooters, many people on crutches and probably a seperate hospital for casualties. Only kidding, but I was laid up for over a year with knee injuries; physical therapy..the whole nine yards. Buses and ferries for me, thank you. They drive on the left and you can't rent a car there.

• 2 weeks later...

OH YES! the Swizzle in.. where the Motto is "Swizzle in Swagger out !" That is a must stop for any new traveler to Bermuda. Have lunch or just a rum swizzler. Near by is the Crystal caves which are a site to see as well. In fact I have not found any restaurants or attractions in Bermuda that I didn't like.

My last trip there was in Early June aboard Voyager. Going again this year in July. But the weather is nice enough for beaches from May until end of Sept I believe although I have never traveled that late in the season.

Choose Bermuda for your trip kitty you won't be disappointed.

only 1 warning. Bermuda is in the middle of the Atlantic so the trip to the island tends to be a little more rocky then you may be used to in the Caribbean, be prepared for that so it does not ruin your tip.:eek:

Archived