Huatulco..new port for me..ideas?

LuAnn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Luanne, we're in the same boat as you, new port etc, not much info, from what I can find the big thing are the bays, beautiful beach, swimming etc, possible to rent your own panga and tour around, lots of boats available where we're docked/and or tendered, maybe others will have some input.

Kay.

We were there several years ago as a stop on our Panama Canal cruise. We took a taxi to the Sheraton Hotel, but I don't remember how far away from the dock it was. They had a lovely beach there and we enjoyed our day. We would love to go back there. The little town is cute with the typical Mexican square. We enjoyed walking it. It's probably changed a lot since our visit as it was a pretty new port stop on our cruise.

Stopped there in November. There is a public beach and a few shops and restaurants right next to the brand new pier.

Best bet is for a group of 4-8 to rent a "Panga" boat. There will be plenty of operators to choose from. Cost about $20 pp or better if your bargaining skills are very good. Buy some cheap bottles of water right on the pier, then head off for a nice ride to see some of the little bays, and an interesting face in the rocks. Then get dropped off at another more popular beach one bay over from the pier and enjoy a little refreshment, snorkle, or just relax in the refreshing water. Your boat will wait for you.

Just looked at the website listed above and didn't find the Sheraton listed, so I imagine it was purchased? I really didn't recognize any of the pictures either - but we were there several years ago, so I suppose there have been lots of changes. Would love to go again. There was also a Club Med there then as well. They had a beautiful property but it was high up overlooking the beach - a long way down! I liked the Sheraton property much better.

Archived