Cruise Insurance vs. Future Cruise Credit

wallyboag

I have recently been exposed to Covid-19, and while I am testing negative, I have to start considering what is going to happen if I test positive before my cruise in 10 days.

I bought cancellation insurance which does cover me if I am diagnosed with Covid-19. Simultaneously, I know HAL will give me a future cruise credit worth 100% of the nonrefundable fare.

However, this future cruise credit is non-refundable and expires one year from the date issued. Because of this expiration and the fact that I couldn't use that credit to book a cruise on a different line, combined with the fact that fares are much higher now than when I booked the cruise, I would much prefer to take the insurance claim rather than this very limited FCC credit that I don't consider total remuneration for having to cancel the cruise.

Now I would much rather take the cruise and I hope I continue to test negative, but is there any issue with getting an insurance claim paid if the cruise line is offering a future cruise credit for having to cancel due to a positive covid test?

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/COVID-19-protection-program.html

Here is the link to the HAL Covid assistance plan. I’m sure you’ve seen it, but notice under Shoreside it states that their plan is not intended to replace insurance, especially in those instances where insurance allows reimbursement in place of FCC.

If you have to cancel, report it to HAL and tell them you prefer to file with insurance. The claims process will ask about the cancellation policy in place at the time, but you are not forced to take FCC. They just want to know that you have not received other compensation.

Discuss your options with the agent when you cancel. They should be able to direct you how to proceed.

We had to cancel a HAL cruise in January a couple of weeks before sailing. When we filed the claim online with Travelguard, we had to provide documentation for the cost breakdown of the cancelled cruise, proof it was paid in full, etc. including the dollar amount of any credit to be issued by the airline, cruise line, hotel, etc. We also had to include copies of the cruise line’s cancellation policies. Our claim was researched and paid but they subtracted the future cruise credit dollar amount HAL had promised our travel agent. (Which we later received, but good only through 12/31/22.)

I definitely understand why you want the full amount in cash, since we would have preferred it, too. (Our claim was complicated by our having used a 2020-issued FCC as partial payment.) But even though you don’t consider the FCC total remuneration, it’s possible the insurer might. The HAL cancellation info you’d provide would state what their policy is if you cancel for Covid. The insurance claim adjusters are already well aware anyway that airlines, cruise lines, etc are issuing credits. Maybe it depends on what the fine print of your policy says. 

But hopefully Babr’s answer in the post above is more accurate. Maybe you could have a hypothetical conversation with someone at your insurance company to find out if you can decline a future cruise credit offer under their policy and file a full claim since a FCC is not a like-kind refund for the cash you had to pay HAL.

We have to cancel our upcoming Alaska cruise that leaves end of this month.  We did purchase HAL's premium cancel for no reason insurance.   We purchased our cruise & flights thru a big box provider that provides cancellation on line but we have questions and cannot get through to them.  No option to even be on hold for hours or a callback.   The website just gives 2 choices - future credit or cancel with penalties.  Very frustrating.   With the state of virus containment - a cruise credit for 1 yr probably won't cut it.   

10 hours ago, luvtravel said:

We have to cancel our upcoming Alaska cruise that leaves end of this month.  We did purchase HAL's premium cancel for no reason insurance.   We purchased our cruise & flights thru a big box provider that provides cancellation on line but we have questions and cannot get through to them.  No option to even be on hold for hours or a callback.   The website just gives 2 choices - future credit or cancel with penalties.  Very frustrating.   With the state of virus containment - a cruise credit for 1 yr probably won't cut it.   

try email to cruise dot questions at (big box travel) dot com to see if they will help.