Inviting Guests Aboard Before Sail Away

MTJSR

Dear KAJOKG,I think it would be a bit hard to dismiss the Captain!He doesn't have to sneak anyone on a ship because he is the Master.What would you suggest I am dead wrong about?

So, if it was the Captain, then I am sure he did things using the correct procedures.

I remember when they used to throw streamers to the people on the docks and as the ships sailed all the streamers would break. Many things have faded away...but in those days they didn't have air conditioning and you could open your port hole because it got very hot! (There were plower in the ceiling that blew semi-cool air, but they didn't cool the cabin down.

The days of Bon Voyage parties ended in 1986 after the Achielle Lauro (sp) Hijacking. Back in the old days you could visit any passenger ship docked in NYC for just $.50pp with the proceeds going to the Old Seaman's Fund. I fondly remember having our Bon Voyage parties with our friends and relatives prior to our sailing to Norwary on the Bergensfjord in 1965 and Honeymoon cruise on the Volendam in 1981. In 1986 we were told at the pier prior to our cruise on Home Line's Atlantic, that the rules had been changed in April and no visitors were permitted on any ship in the US. However, when we arrived in Bermuda, we were docked next to the Homeric, Atlantic's new sister ship. Home Line's provided us with special ID cards that gave us permission to tour the Homeric. The general public was not permitted on the ship.

LOL drive by post....

Some cruiselines still permit them. Radisson with 30 day notice and Silverseas with 14 day notice. :D Now RSSC will charge your cabin for meals for your guests. Something like $15 for lunch and $25 for dinner.

One reason I will NOT go on the QMII is their silly rules. I am a past Cunard passenger and Princess passenger. I was in port on the RSSC Mariner and tried to get a "day pass" for the QMII and they said no.

From Silverseas site

BON VOYAGE PARTIES / VISITORS ON BOARD

Please have your travel agent contact Silversea’s Special Services Department if you would like to make arrangements for a Bon Voyage Party and/or to have visitors board the vessel at your embarkation port. Requests must be made in writing no later than 14 days prior to departure. For security reasons, visitors for embarkation day must be pre-registered with Silversea. For visitors during the cruise other than embarkation day, guests can make arrangements on board. Silversea may limit the number of visitors permitted on board and this policy is subject to change without notification.

I would presume to guess that anyone who obtains special permission to board as a guest of the Captain or an officer has been checked out and is required to follow special procedures to board and then leave. I have no problem with that.

We provided the purser with names,dates of birth and social security #'s 3 days in advance.We met them at the pier and their names were on a manifest along with our friends we were to meet in the next port.Their ID's were checked and their pictures were input into the master syatem.They were issues temporary ID badges which they wore clipped to their shirts at all times.They disembarked well before sailing so they were not summoned off the ship.We had cleared this with the officers months in advance.Later in the cruise a woman at lunch was remarking that she would like to have her friends come aboard and see the ship but knew that it was impossible.When I mentioned that I had done so 2 days earlier,she called me a liar.As she was disparaging me the First Purser happened by and asked me how my friends liked the ship on their one day visit.The womans jaw dropped and she jumped up and left the table.All this and no one lost their job for sneaking someone aboard ship!

Why am I having trouble with Johnmik's posts regarding guests? His guests had to supply Social Security #'s? I have never had to provide a SS# as a passenger. Now, if a guest has to provide a passport or birth certificate along with a picture ID issued by a government, i.e. a driver's license, then I could accept that. And I would hope that any guest had to check out as they departed so that the officials really know these guests left the ship.

Why am I having trouble with Johnmik's posts regarding guests? His guests had to supply Social Security #'s? I have never had to provide a SS# as a passenger. Now, if a guest has to provide a passport or birth certificate along with a picture ID issued by a government, i.e. a driver's license, then I could accept that. And I would hope that any guest had to check out as they departed so that the officials really know these guests left the ship.

KAJOKG,You say that you have never provided a SS# as a passenger.Didn't you give one to acquire your passport?A passport is a document to move between countries.Since the ship was not leaving the pier,in their home town,why on earth would they need a passport.Of course the passengers had to check out and return their ID badges.This horse is dead,no more beating required!

JohnMik1

I believe you, having obtained permission to bring aboard guests (although they didn't show up - that is another story).

There are always nonbelievers! There are almost always exceptions to rules/policies; there are few absolutes!

JohnMik1

I believe you, having obtained permission to bring aboard guests (although they didn't show up - that is another story).

There are always nonbelievers! There are almost always exceptions to rules/policies; there are few absolutes!

Thanks Druke,I have pictures of my guests wearing their temporary ID badges but I am not saavy enough to imbed them in my responses.

KAJOKG,You say that you have never provided a SS# as a passenger.Didn't you give one to acquire your passport?PQUOTE]

Perhaps, but my SS# is not on my passport, and I would not give it out so readily to become a guest on a ship. You know, I really am not doubting what you say, but I am disturbed by what you say. If it's that easy to get guests on board ships these days, then where is the strict port security control we are supposed to have since 9/11. I can't even have my driver come into port and park to pick us up after returning to port. We have to go through all kinds of intricate cell phone calls to manage that.

KAJOKG,You say that you have never provided a SS# as a passenger.Didn't you give one to acquire your passport?PQUOTE]

Perhaps, but my SS# is not on my passport, and I would not give it out so readily to become a guest on a ship. You know, I really am not doubting what you say, but I am disturbed by what you say. If it's that easy to get guests on board ships these days, then where is the strict port security control we are supposed to have since 9/11. I can't even have my driver come into port and park to pick us up after returning to port. We have to go through all kinds of intricate cell phone calls to manage that.

Haven't you ever been on board when the ship is deluged with hundreds of travel agents checking out the product?I never said it was easy to get guests on board.Give it a try and I'll bet you are disappointed!

Haven't you ever been on board when the ship is deluged with hundreds of travel agents checking out the product?I never said it was easy to get guests on board.Give it a try and I'll bet you are disappointed!

I'll take you at your word, and I sure hope it isn't easy. Question - I haven't seen hundreds of TA's on board, but those I have seen are booked for the entire cruise. Am I naive in this regard?

I've seen groups of TA's (I assumed they were, anyway) with temporary ID's touring the ship while in port, and being treated to lunch in one of the dining rooms. As a general rule guests are not allowed on board, but there are always exceptions. You can understand with security concerns why this privilege is very restricted.

I was a travel agent for 10 years++ I often went on fam trips where we would tour the ship for an hour or so and then depart before sailing. We were always accompanied by guides from the cruise line or tour operator and had to wear Visitor IDs.

it is up to the cruise line / ship and terminal operator to decide if this will be allowed or not.

The ship and the terminal must have a security plan approved by the Coast Guard (speaking of US ports). If guests are going to be allowed, the security plan must address the procedures which will be used to maintain a secure posture.

Now it would appear that the easist way to "comply" is to say "no guests" but this is not the final answer.

Outside of the US ..... wellllllll; the ship still has concerns of course and it is still up to them. However that oversite part of the equation is different. But the ship still has concerns about US regs because, for example, a ship entering a US port and found to have a stowaway is subject to, well...let's say 'special attention' from Customs, Border Patrol, Immigration, Coast Guard and others. So again it seems it is in their best interest if visiting US ports, to say "no".

On the other hand I am a member of a group that has been able to schedule lunches on visiting cruise ships on occasion. We must submit lists in advance, have picture ID, go thru security etc etc....but it can be done IF the cruise line wants to play... It helps to have a contact within the company. ;) I also managed to arrange a tour for a grade school class...it CAN be done.

references available ....

it is up to the cruise line / ship and terminal operator to decide if this will be allowed or not.

The ship and the terminal must have a security plan approved by the Coast Guard (speaking of US ports). If guests are going to be allowed, the security plan must address the procedures which will be used to maintain a secure posture.

Now it would appear that the easist way to "comply" is to say "no guests" but this is not the final answer.

Outside of the US ..... wellllllll; the ship still has concerns of course and it is still up to them. However that oversite part of the equation is different. But the ship still has concerns about US regs because, for example, a ship entering a US port and found to have a stowaway is subject to, well...let's say 'special attention' from Customs, Border Patrol, Immigration, Coast Guard and others. So again it seems it is in their best interest if visiting US ports, to say "no".

On the other hand I am a member of a group that has been able to schedule lunches on visiting cruise ships on occasion. We must submit lists in advance, have picture ID, go thru security etc etc....but it can be done IF the cruise line wants to play... It helps to have a contact within the company. ;) I also managed to arrange a tour for a grade school class...it CAN be done.

references available ....

Thank you, Capt. BJ, for your reasonable response. In this day and age I am nervous about a cruise line being lax regarding visitors. I have seen crew members greet their families while docked on Caribbean cruises. I like to see the kids with their Dads and Moms, but I do hope all the proper procedures are in place. Now, this is coming from a very seasoned traveler. I've traveled widely and have never been nervous, even visiting unusual and exotic lands. But nowadays....well, current events have taken their toll on my curiosity and sense of adventure.

In 2000, we were in port in St Thomas. (So many cruises, I forget which ship, but it was Princess.;) ) Friends were staying in a hotel there and they met us on the pier. I asked if we could bring them aboard and I was very surprised that I was told it was ok, as long as they left their passports with the security guard at the entrance. they came on board and we took them to lunch in the dining room.

Of course, 9/11 changed those rules. But, it wasn't that long ago!

Susan

Don't rip my head off!!! But when I was a kid sailing on Sitmar's Fairsea we were able to have a bunch of friends join us for a bon voyage party onboard before sailing away. I trust this practice has long gone away but are there ever special occasions when this is allowed?

I love the way you started with Don't rip my head off!!!! :)

I'll take you at your word, and I sure hope it isn't easy. Question - I haven't seen hundreds of TA's on board, but those I have seen are booked for the entire cruise. Am I naive in this regard?

We were on the first Galveston sailing of the Grand in November of 04. They were having a huge luncheon for travel agents and various big wigs of Houston. There were several of the stars from the Love Boat TV show also. We had a delayed embarkation so that they had ample time to tour the ship and disembark before they would allow anyone else on.

Back in the early 70's, on my very first cruise out of San Juan, our ship (Costa cruiseline) was used as a nightclub before sailing. The ship was to sail at midnight and the nightclubbers had to disembark by 11pm. Don't ask me how they kept track of who was suppose to get off or stay on but security was not a concern in those days, I guess. How things have changed now.

• 10 months later...
Don't rip my head off!!! But when I was a kid sailing on Sitmar's Fairsea we were able to have a bunch of friends join us for a bon voyage party onboard before sailing away. I trust this practice has long gone away but are there ever special occasions when this is allowed?

Cool Cruiser, I too remember those days. They went away with the advent of 9/11. I think Carnival was the last company to allowed it.

2/4sea

Archived