Wine into Canada by air and are there two customs lanes? (specificaly Vancouver YVR airport)

Mike07

Good morning!  I searched for this specific topic, but did not have much luck. For my upcoming Princess cruise to Alaska, I'm traveling to Vancouver, Canada, specifically YVR, and I have read the limits the Canadian government allows for personal consumption (https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/atl-lat-eng.html)

Now my question is this, at YVR's customs and immigration, is there a "Fast lane" per-say for people whom have nothing to declare versus something to declare?  I thought that I had read that somewhere there was.

Where I'm going at is there a line for people whom have nothing to declare and a separate line for people who have something to declare?  It's one of those things where if the fast-track line is significantly faster than the slow-track, I have something to declare, line, I may forego bringing the wine as it's not that big of a deal to me.

Thank you all for your help!!!

Edited by Mike07

• Mike07 changed the title to Wine into Canada by air and are there two customs lanes? (specificaly Vancouver YVR airport)

If you are travelling into Canada, it’s imperative that you complete the questionnaire on the ArriveCAN app within 72 hours of your arrival.  I’m sure you know this, but just in case.

• Like 1

You can declare in advance - a pilot program that YVR is part of - if you use the Website version of ArriveCAN rather than the App. If all goes well with the pilot, that feature should roll out to the app and to all airports (maybe all land borders and all marine entries too) at some point.

Having said that, with the kiosks that do facial recog/ePassport scanning now smoothly operating for several years the process is already pretty slick so it's not a big time saving, but every chunk of time you can preload to at home instead of in the airport is a win if you ask me...

Depending where you're coming from @Mike07and how pricey the wine is you would bring, the savings compared to buying bottles here in the liquor stores could be significant - we are a very high 'Sin Tax' location, even compared to other parts of Canada. Check BCLiquor pricing on their website - and also which stores have your preferred brands in stock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

There is no "Fast Lane" going into Vancouver. 

Thank you.  That's good to know as it'd be nice to have the wine, but no biggie if it's going to create a multi-hour delay.

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

If you are travelling into Canada, it’s imperative that you complete the questionnaire on the ArriveCAN app within 72 hours of your arrival.  I’m sure you know this, but just in case.

Good to know... I am checking ArriveCAN daily though the 72 hour window has not opened.  COVID vaxx cards and passport information is all uploaded though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, martincath said:

You can declare in advance - a pilot program that YVR is part of - if you use the Website version of ArriveCAN rather than the App. If all goes well with the pilot, that feature should roll out to the app and to all airports (maybe all land borders and all marine entries too) at some point.

Thank you very much for the info!

I plan on bringing the 2020 Kirkland Signature Argentinian Malbec.  That stuff is quite delicious to everyone in my party. It's $7 a bottle.

8 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Thank you very much for the info!

I plan on bringing the 2020 Kirkland Signature Argentinian Malbec.  That stuff is quite delicious to everyone in my party. It's $7 a bottle.

My wife loves that wine and it is tremendous quality for the price - unfortunately no Kirkland booze sales allowed up here, so even though we have possibly the word's most convenient Costco slap bang downtown we can only stock up on that (and their fake Bailey's, which is frankly better than the real thing!) for our Portland pad.

If something goes horribly wrong and you can't bring it, hit up BCLiquor for the Bourbon Barrel Aged Bodacious (ridiculous name, but a great quaffer for $11 regular price and often $10 on sale). We do have quite a lot of cheap Argy Malbecs, but I've found that you need to get well into $15+ ballpark to get as tasty as the Kirkland, but there's usually at least one or two $15-18 Reserves that are on sale with $3 or more off. NB: prices do not include bottle deposit or 15% tax.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, martincath said:

My wife loves that wine and it is tremendous quality for the price - unfortunately no Kirkland booze sales allowed up here, so even though we have possibly the word's most convenient Costco slap bang downtown we can only stock up on that (and their fake Bailey's, which is frankly better than the real thing!) for our Portland pad.

That's terribly disappointing.  Costco wines are quite effective for the price.  Yes, the Kirkland Signature Irish creme is quite delicious... and about a quarter of the price of Bailey's!