Cash or card?

Jeaannie55

Hello all, I’m from the U.K. and going on my first trip to Canada in August, a two week tour, starting in Toronto, staying there for a few days, then embarking on Via train to Vancouver, then Vancouver Island before cruising from Vancouver to Alaska.

my question is to you lovely Canadians is, do restaurants, bars shops etc. accept cash or would they prefer card?

I know the train is card only, as stated on their website, but I don’t really want to pay by card for every small thing elsewhere.
Thank you for any advice.

Cash or credit cards are accepted.  For small things cash is fine.  You shouldn’t have any trouble at all.  I’m not sure I’d carry too much cash on you though.  Will you have access to ATM that you can get cash from?

What a great trip you’re doing!  Hope you have a wonderful time.  

There has been a general preference for credit and debit cards since the beginning of the pandemic, but few establishments have refused cash. In the early days, there was a much greater concern about getting COVID from touching a contaminated surface, including money, but while washing hands is still recommended, the airborne nature of transmission has reduce the concern. If you prefer cash transactions, I doubt that you will encounter problems. And if you have a debit card as an alternative, you'll not need your credit card at all.

I think that you are the first poster that I've seen who lives in Bognor Regis. I lived there for several years as a young child before moving to Canada. I've since visited on numerous occasions.

• Like 1

During Covid many places were not accepting cash, debit or credit card only. Things are getting back to normal and places are taking cash again. 

Note that unlike the UK all bars and restaurants are table service...you eat and drink and then get the final bill...no going to the bar and buying one or two drinks at a time...may be easier with a credit card. We also tip everyone who is a server...15%-18% is a minimum. Don't forget.

Enjoy your trip...we have done the VIA trip to Vancouver twice and the cruise to Alaska is great...we are doing it again in September.

• Like 1

You'll have Chip cards @Jeaannie55so tapping for your purchase is frankly quicker than paying with cash, especially in bars & restos where you have to wait for your server to go to the till and bring back change unless you have the right amount to cover bill + tip in your purse and can just leave it on the table.

Even in TheBeforeTimes, Vancouver was moving toward having more No Cash than Cash Only places - with the Covid-induced 'touch nothing ever!!!!!' frenzy almost nowhere was taking cash for some time, and some places realized during that no cash means no bank runs, no risk of employees skimming, and generally less hassle so they've kept the policies in place.

Most shops and restos will happily take cash money again but between the hassle of acquiring small bills, the annoyance of $1 & $2 being large coins (fun coins, nice keepsake, but really you just need one of each!), and the convenience of 'tap and go' terminal almost everywhere I literally could not tell you the last time I opened my wallet for cash.

Even some of our homeless folks have card-readers for their phones, as nobody carries much spare change around these days...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your help, I guessed that would be the case that card is preferred. Just needed to be certain so I can get organised for a card that doesn’t charge overseas transaction fees and hope for a favourable exchange rate.

• Like 1

Fouremco, what a small world, It’s my late husbands home town, moved here from London more years ago than I care to admit! 😬 Still find it a lovely part of the country to live in, but of course doesn’t stop me from wanting to see the world! 

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I think that you are the first poster that I've seen who lives in Bognor Regis. I lived there for several years as a young child before moving to Canada. I've since visited on numerous occasions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

What a great trip you’re doing!  Hope you have a wonderful time.  

My sister (who is my travelling companion) and myself are extremely excited to visit Canada, originally booked for 2020, been lifted and shifted twice, cannot wait

• Like 3

I haven't used cash more than once or twice in the last few years. Where tips are expected or wanted machine provides an opportunity for entry before tapping / entering a PIN.

I've recently migrated from a card to my phone, Google Pay. Very convenient. Apple has a similar feature.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shuyak said:

What about tips?  Heard cash in Canadian (vs USD) is preferred.  Thanks.

For bellhops, yes - for tour guides maybe also (although even the free walking tours, with 'tip what you feel it is worth' at the end, guides have adopted Square or similar Smartphone card tap or swipe). If you're handing over cash, the only polite option in any country with a reasonably functional currency is to go with local. That said, while fewer of us are popping over the border as frequently, there are plenty of places to swap USD - so for small numbers, tipping at par more than offsets the inconvenience.

For any tip on a service like a meal, as said above it'll be an option on the terminal (and despite having a rather high suggested minimum amount, 18% mostly and 21% in more and more places, don't be fooled, there is always an 'other %' or 'cash amount' option on there too).

@Jeaannie55Good idea to acquire a No Forex Fee card. Things have probably changed in the 20+ years we've been out of the UK, but Virgin Money still seem to be pretty good according to family who use their cards for travel - but regardless of whose brand you use, make sure to get a MasterCard or Visa, not Diners or Amex as there is significantly lower acceptance of those over here. You'll also find that many terminal will automatically offer you the 'convenience' of paying in Sterling as the card will read as British - never accept these offers! The average markup runs over 4% - significantly worse than the typical 2.5% Forex fee, and infinitely worse than the 0% you'll have on your new travel card!!!

• Like 2

Completely agree with @martincath! I haven't used cash for anything in years, including parking meters and vending machines! 

Tip whatever you feel the service was worth using the "other %" or "other $" buttons available on the terminal. 

Also agree with the idea of using a no forex card, always choosing the local currency for the transaction amount. I've had one in my portfolio for years, although finding one available to Canandians is harder than it should be.

• Like 1