Have you sailed Balmoral in 2022?

We last sailed Balmoral pre-Covid in June 2018 and post Covid there may have been a few changes.  We have friends booked for an August 2022 Iceland cruise  who will be new to Fred and to Balmoral,  and although I have been able to find our own past  info, there are still a few questions they have and if you have answers that would be much appreciated, as the last couple of years appear to have wiped our memories of some details as 2018 is feeling more like ancient history..

Are there still 2 self-service laundries on Decks 9 and 3?  Are they free or is there a charge?.  Use own laundry powder or is it supplied?  Is there a retractable drying line in the canin shower cubicles?

Is there still a library next to the Bookmark Cafe?

And is there a free steam room or sauna, or both? If so, separate male/female or mixed?

And are they still as rigid with meal times? ( Thinking of port days,going ashore and  coming back on board), does lunch still end at around 2pm with nothing more available until afternoon tea time(which I think used to be around 3pm or 3-30pm)

Thanks in advance for any replies.  So much has changed since cruising restarted that I am unsure if my past info is still current.

Edited by edinburgher

They have another question. if anyone can help.

Is it possible to take onboard a few soft drinks and/or mixers  at the embarkation port?  They won't have a drinks package  and will buy gin at the bars but have a preferred tonic water brand   (Slimline FT) for their g and t's.

Edited by edinburgher

33 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

They have another question. if anyone can help.

Is it possible to take onboard a few soft drinks and/or mixers  at the embarkation port?  They won't have a drinks package  and will buy gin at the bars but have a preferred tonic water brand   (Slimline FT) for their g and t's.

On Balmoral now, 2nd cruise and in Tallin.  One laundry open, best to ask details nearer date, we are not using it.  Can bring non alcoholic drinks on Fred.  Deck plan on Fred website.  Yes meal times rigid as previous.  Breakfast finishes 10.30 on sea days and 10.00 on port days.  Lunch between 12.00 and 2.30 in diff restaurants.  Afternoon tea 3.45 to 4.45.  Set sitting dinner at 6.15 and 8.30, but Palms self service open from 6.30 (or 6pm) to 9pm and we are using that a lot.  Never any plans for flexible dining on Balmoral, only the newer ships are more dining availability on them.

I intend to do full review on return and will answer what questions I can.  Need to get to shuttle bus by 6.45pm.

Cheers, the beer is good in Estonia,

Barbara

Edited by tring

And cheers! back to you Tring/Barbara. Lovely that you are currently onboard and hopefully enjoying some "new to you" ports. With SPB dropped, there are new port opportunities in the Baltic although Tallin was always a popular port.

Our friends will be pleased about the tonic water as they find most places they visit do not stock it.

Would be wonderful if you could answer some of the other q's too should you have some down time and  without going to too much trouble.

Really disappointed that Fred are still as rigid with their food offering times.  Last time we sailed we completed a questionaire which focused heavily on dining times, fixed sittings, having the same table companions throughout, etc. and we know that several of the pax on our sailing were like ourselves, and would have preferred more flexibility. but it  appears that nothing has changed.  Their dining inflexibility does actually put us off sailing Fred. so we only occasionally book for an interesting itinerary as we prefer to dine at times which suit us and with whomever we please, or the two of us alone. And as we are used to  cruising with international cruise lines, we enjoy going ashore and returning onboard to find we can have a snack or a late lunchl at that time.. And although we don't mind the buffet in the evening (The one on Balmoral is rather nice and the food was good)  we would also like to be waited on occasionally.  If Marella/Tui can do it, why can Fred not follow suit?

I think your name is familiar. Have you sailed Azamara? We only did 4 with them,(all on Quest) then prices rocketed and we looked elsewhere.

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

And cheers! back to you Tring/Barbara. Lovely that you are currently onboard and hopefully enjoying some "new to you" ports. With SPB dropped, there are new port opportunities in the Baltic although Tallin was always a popular port.

Our friends will be pleased about the tonic water as they find most places they visit do not stock it.

Would be wonderful if you could answer some of the other q's too should you have some down time and  without going to too much trouble.

Really disappointed that Fred are still as rigid with their food offering times.  Last time we sailed we completed a questionaire which focused heavily on dining times, fixed sittings, having the same table companions throughout, etc. and we know that several of the pax on our sailing were like ourselves, and would have preferred more flexibility. but it  appears that nothing has changed.  Their dining inflexibility does actually put us off sailing Fred. so we only occasionally book for an interesting itinerary as we prefer to dine at times which suit us and with whomever we please, or the two of us alone. And as we are used to  cruising with international cruise lines, we enjoy going ashore and returning onboard to find we can have a snack or a late lunchl at that time.. And although we don't mind the buffet in the evening (The one on Balmoral is rather nice and the food was good)  we would also like to be waited on occasionally.  If Marella/Tui can do it, why can Fred not follow suit?

I think your name is familiar. Have you sailed Azamara? We only did 4 with them,(all on Quest) then prices rocketed and we looked elsewhere.

I think I answered them mainly.  Do not know about spa facilities so cannot answer about sauna.  Round library still there, which is why I mentioned deck plans, presumably that is shown.  Will start a thread on return, about 10 days from now.  Not that easy to get WiFi as now in pricy Scandinavian countries, so not using as many restaurants.  Liked Azamara, particularly the ships and destinations.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 2:14 PM, edinburgher said:

Cheers, the beer is good in Estonia,

If now in Scandinavia, I don't suppose you will be buying as  many shoreside beers.

In Stockholm and DH drinking one now 🙂

I have stuck to diet Coke, we need to get tender back to ship from Old Town.  Main tender service finished at 10pm, but reduced service until 2am.  Then stops until 8am.  

Lovely city and lots here, thinking of returning for land stay sometime.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My review has now been published, but it will take a few days to appear from a search of reviews, so I will put the link I have been sent from CC here:-

Balmoral Review by tring

I wrote it rather quickly so it does contain a couple of typing errors but gives our personal opinions of the cruise.  I would also like to point out that it was only the second cruise since the ship started sailing and some things were obviously improving as the cruise progressed, so hopefully as this thread has Balmoral in the title, others can give their own reviews and opinions as the ship settles into a regular sailing schedule.

I will answer any questions I can, though as we are going away again at the end of next week and have to prepare for that, as well as having a lot to do at home and in the garden, I may not be spending long on the forums and will have very little net access when away next time.

We have six cruises booked over the next couple of years, though non with Fred and our present plans are to spend any other holiday time on land stays, so I may not be able to answer queries so well in the long term as I have been able to over the last few months, though I wish everyone happy holidays and good cruises,

Barbara

Edited by tring

A very fair and balanced review Barbara, so thank you for the link.

Disappointed to hear your thoughts on some meals as we usually think the food on Fred is rather good. Although we actually  prefer our steaks cooked medium rare, got the impression it was actually more like rare, so we would not have been pleased either and pink chicken is a definite turn off.  Wondering if some of the chefs wer ealso  new to cruising? We too ate in the self serve some evenings and usually enjoyed what we ate, also the selection.

\some of this fFom post #6 above. Their dining inflexibility does actually put us off sailing Fred. so we only occasionally book for an interesting itinerary as we prefer to dine at times which suit us and with whomever we please, or the two of us alone. And as we are used to  cruising with with other domestic lines as well as  international lines, we enjoy going ashore and returning onboard to find we can have a snack or a late lunch at that time.. And although we don't mind the buffet in the evening (We think we remember the one on Balmoral being rather nice and the food was good)  we would also like to be waited on occasionally as that makes dinner more special (and the tips include wait staff).  If Marella/Tui can do it, why can Fred not follow suit?  It is especially irritating when coming back onboard from ime ashore to find we have missed lunch and there is a wait until afternoon tea opens as we usually have first/early  sitting and would theredore prefer no afternoon tea at all.. And our choices should not have to be between going ashore or eating.  In that situation, maybe we should try room srvice should we sail with them again.

Did you notice if there was one of those stretchy cord things for drying wet clothing in the shower?

I hope you enjoy your next one and that the initial bumps  continue to smooth out..

Edited by edinburgher

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

A very fair and balanced review Barbara, so thank you for the link.

Disappointed to hear your thoughts on some meals as we usually think the food on Fred is rather good. Although we actually  prefer our steaks cooked medium rare, got the impression it was actually more like rare, so we would not have been pleased either and pink chicken is a definite turn off.  Wondering if some of the chefs wer ealso  new to cruising? We too ate in the self serve some evenings and usually enjoyed what we ate, also the selection.

\some of this fFom post #6 above. Their dining inflexibility does actually put us off sailing Fred. so we only occasionally book for an interesting itinerary as we prefer to dine at times which suit us and with whomever we please, or the two of us alone. And as we are used to  cruising with with other domestic lines as well as  international lines, we enjoy going ashore and returning onboard to find we can have a snack or a late lunch at that time.. And although we don't mind the buffet in the evening (We think we remember the one on Balmoral being rather nice and the food was good)  we would also like to be waited on occasionally as that makes dinner more special (and the tips include wait staff).  If Marella/Tui can do it, why can Fred not follow suit?  It is especially irritating when coming back onboard from ime ashore to find we have missed lunch and there is a wait until afternoon tea opens as we usually have first/early  sitting and would theredore prefer no afternoon tea at all.. And our choices should not have to be between going ashore or eating.  In that situation, maybe we should try room srvice should we sail with them again.

Did you notice if there was one of those stretchy cord things for drying wet clothing in the shower?

I hope you enjoy your next one and that the initial bumps  continue to smooth out..

The food was always excellent on Fred pre-pandemic, though with our experience and other reports it appears to be more hit and miss since then, but IMO the food was better than we experienced on Bolette  last Sept and March, when it was extremely greasy (even the plated veg.).  Yes still "washing lines" in the shower and also the case with the newer ships, that is why we used to book a cabin with bath on pre-covid cruises if we were on a long haul cruise venue, so had a longer one if away for a while. 

The chef who is dealing with the speciality restaurants and The Palms is quite young and as they are still offering different menus on Colours and Tastes as well as the Vasco menu there, I did think Fred was asking a lot of her to deal with all that whilst also being new to the ship and new to Fred.  I was told by management that she was not new to the sea, which it seems is the case for a lot of staff and TBH it showed and that is before the ship entered rough seas!  We are pretty sure we had been asked in Colours and Tastes on the other ships how we wanted the beef cooked, so systems just not working right as yet, but we were very surprised that they were not only not giving the option on Balmoral, but that they mentioned nothing of it to us.  It is probably something that will be sorted in the near future - there was an ex on board chef who is now head office staff helping to check the food and train the staff when we were on the ship and a lot more staff turned up the day before we disembarked (they flew into Oslo) who we recognised (and recognised us) from previous cruises this year.  A lot seemed to have been home for a few weeks after being on the other ships and returned to Balmoral.  It seems some staff had been transferred to Balmoral for the new sailings initially, but we recognised very few indeed.  Even the Food and Beverage manager is new to Fred.  There were only 672 pax on when we were on board, but we understood that the number was about 1,000 for the next few cruises.  There were waiting and bar staff who were just going back to base after taking one order or delivering one set of drinks/food without being aware of other passengers trying to get there attention, but the senior bar/restaurant staff were trying to help them get into system.  The F&B manager told us early in the cruise that 75% of staff are new to the sea, it seems it has been very difficult to get staff (as has been a problem with all cruise lines), so a lot should improve once staff are better experienced.

We were told  at the end of our cruise that The Grill is planned to open in a couple of months from then, according to current plans.  We used room service a fair bit in the past and found it good, though on this cruise we wanted to eat ashore at times and were not too bothered about when we left the ship - not in a rush.  It is an option.  We felt more constrained on sea days when we would have like a later lunch, though because of meal times tended to eat something for afternoon tea and end up having four meals a day.  The sticky cakes and finger sandwiches are not really our thing at all, though there are crisps available with that since the pandemic and the other ships have a restaurant on the pool deck that can be used for a later breakfast (of sorts) or small meals - nothing like that on Balmoral though.  

We will find out if the grill has reopened when we sail on our "not the Black Sea cruise" in September.  Lots of fond memories of that restaurant over the years.  It seems you had an enjoyable cruise Barbara.  

5 minutes ago, Coravel said:

We will find out if the grill has reopened when we sail on our "not the Black Sea cruise" in September.  Lots of fond memories of that restaurant over the years.  It seems you had an enjoyable cruise Barbara.  

Yes we did, despite my comments about some things.  The ports were very good.  Apart from the ones reviewed we also went to Stockholm overnight and Visby which were not options to review (presumably added on when SPB pulled), as well as Copenhagen which seemed to get lost in the review publication.   

We had been booked on Aurora for a Baltic cruise at a similar time, but when SPB was pulled from that, P&O also pulled Riga, Tallin and Bornholm so we cancelled that.  Hence we booked the Fred one last minute.

Hope you enjoy the Sept cruise, but shame to miss The Black Sea.  We were booked on a VOD Black Sea cruise when Putin walked in on Crimea and were given the chance to cancel as three Crimean ports were removed.  They had added a second day in Odessa as well as Constanta and the normal Bulgarian port (I forget what that is), but we were not convinced Odessa  would go ahead, (it did not), so we cancelled that, but perhaps we did the wrong thing on reflection as never did book it again and there were more Eastern Black Sea and Northern Turkey ports, which would have been good.  Oh well there goes.

Cheers,

Barbara

We were supposed to visit Visby some years ago but fog prevented the tenders from being launched. The deal we had by accepting the revised itinerary was  excellent.  There was a 10% discount because of problems with a previous cruise and I get an affinity discount because I was a BP employee.  Add the Oceans discount and yet a further £700 added to our on-board account.  I have to admit being disappointed that the best bits of the itinerary were axed  and much of the new itinerary is a repeat of the Balkans cruise next week.  Our friends pulled out of the Black Sea cruise and switched to the Antarctic voyage next year.  I don't really care where we go as long as we are on a ship!  

• Like 1

I get the impression that most, if not all, lines are experiencing teething problems across different areas of the ships, but especially in the Food and beverage Departments. And "new to cruising" staff are also mentioned quite often. I guess everyone has to start somewhere.  Must admit though, that new chefs were not the first staff members to spring to mind until I read the above posts, especially as they work in larger teams than wait staff or room stewards and timing is much more important in food prep.  It may have been that their initial training was reduced in length in the hurry to get them onboard ships which were due to sail, with a certain amount of "on the job" training thought to be better than a shortage of staff.

Once new staff are more fully trained, I expect these initial wee bumps will be smoothed over and it should mean a return to "normal" service, whatever "normal" will be in this strange post pandemic world.

Re Black Sea cruising.  We booked a short notice Azamara Black Sea a few years ago (may have been when Putin annexed the Crimea) when some of the principal ports were axed and many of the original pax bailed.  As we had already visited Yalta, Odessa and one other, we quite happily jumped onto the revised itinerary which by then included several Black Sea ports which were new to us and thoroughly enjoyed it.  And the price was a bargain.

Barbara. as well as Constanta and the normal Bulgarian port (I forget what that is),  I think VARNA is "the normal Bulgarian port" referred to.  And having also ported in Constanta, I can tell you that you missed absolutely nothing there at all.  We took theship  shuttle bus into town, and returned on the next one from town to port.  I think we spent less than 30 minutes in town, and we were not the only ones to do that. It beingquite early on a Sunday morning didn't help.

Edited by edinburgher

The "other" port may well have been Sevastopol as we visited it along with Yalta during a Black Sea cruise in around 2005.  We were looking forward to Odessa, Constanta and Batumi on the September cruise but it was not to be.  What they have done is to substitute Croatian, Greek and Turkish ports of call.  I've definitely not visited most of the Greek ports before but they seem very interesting from an historical point of view.  

3 hours ago, edinburgher said:

I get the impression that most, if not all, lines are experiencing teething problems across different areas of the ships, but especially in the Food and beverage Departments. And "new to cruising" staff are also mentioned quite often. I guess everyone has to start somewhere.  Must admit though, that new chefs were not the first staff members to spring to mind until I read the above posts, especially as they work in larger teams than wait staff or room stewards and timing is much more important in food prep.  It may have been that their initial training was reduced in length in the hurry to get them onboard ships which were due to sail, with a certain amount of "on the job" training thought to be better than a shortage of staff.

Once new staff are more fully trained, I expect these initial wee bumps will be smoothed over and it should mean a return to "normal" service, whatever "normal" will be in this strange post pandemic world.

Re Black Sea cruising.  We booked a short notice Azamara Black Sea a few years ago (may have been when Putin annexed the Crimea) when some of the principal ports were axed and many of the original pax bailed.  As we had already visited Yalta, Odessa and one other, we quite happily jumped onto the revised itinerary which by then included several Black Sea ports which were new to us and thoroughly enjoyed it.  And the price was a bargain.

Barbara. as well as Constanta and the normal Bulgarian port (I forget what that is),  I think VARNA is "the normal Bulgarian port" referred to.  And having also ported in Constanta, I can tell you that you missed absolutely nothing there at all.  We took theship  shuttle bus into town, and returned on the next one from town to port.  I think we spent less than 30 minutes in town, and we were not the only ones to do that. It beingquite early on a Sunday morning didn't help.

Yes, Varna rings a bell.  Some good deals that year, we could have re booked ours at half what we had booked it at, though, (stupidly), we thought if we waited we may have the chance of doing the initial itinerary, or similar.

I think the training was there pre start up, but that is often not the same as experience - a number did not seem to have some difficulties understanding of English as well.  I think a lot of cruise passengers speak to staff as they would to a UK national though, so can be difficult to pick up everything in a foreign language (e.g. colloquialisms, accents).  WE would plead guilty to speaking casually as well.  I discussed their requirements with some Fred staff a few years ago and was told they had to have a college degree and experience in their role on land, which I suspect is an essential for crew, but a local restaurant will not have the same stresses as a cruise ship.  There were apparently bigger problems on the first cruise and I have seen mention of Fred giving some sort of compensation for that to everyone (possibly a reduced future cruise so, if so, not a great loss to him).  I suspect the chap from head office was sent out as a response to that, rather than it being an initial plan.  I do not know if it was true, but some had mentioned Fred Jnr coming on in Tenerife and the initial chef being sent home, though may have been, scheduled previously.

Yes problems with staffing everywhere - even in the UK as well.

Edited by tring

2 hours ago, Coravel said:

The "other" port may well have been Sevastopol as we visited it along with Yalta during a Black Sea cruise in around 2005.  We were looking forward to Odessa, Constanta and Batumi on the September cruise but it was not to be.  What they have done is to substitute Croatian, Greek and Turkish ports of call.  I've definitely not visited most of the Greek ports before but they seem very interesting from an historical point of view.  

Yes the three Crimean ports cancelled were, Sevastopol, Yalta, as well as Feodosia (a less visited port).  It was a brilliant itinerary with a few ports I had not seen on other itineraries.

We did do a Bucharest to Budapest river cruise with Viking after that, which included short hotel stays each end.  That is one of our very memorable holidays, though it was quite a culture shock to arrive in Budapest and see hoards of river boats - we had been alone through out the rest of the cruise, though I suspect that the Eastern Danube will be busier now.   

44 minutes ago, tring said:

We did do a Bucharest to Budapest river cruise with Viking after that, which included short hotel stays each end.  That is one of our very memorable holidays, though it was quite a culture shock to arrive in Budapest and see hoards of river boats - we had been alone through out the rest of the cruise, though I suspect that the Eastern Danube will be busier now.   

A river cruise has always appealed to me although it would mean flying to the farthest point and flying home again at the end.  Whilst I enjoy flying and even waiting in departure lounges, my wife absolutely hates it.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coravel said:

A river cruise has always appealed to me although it would mean flying to the farthest point and flying home again at the end.  Whilst I enjoy flying and even waiting in departure lounges, my wife absolutely hates it.  

We find airport departure lounges with included food and tipples highly congenial :). You can make a three course meal out of the food, though in small quantities.  That means a mixer drink with the nibbles,  wine with most of the food and a Baily's (brandy for DH) with coffee.  As we do not travel in high season we are normally through the check in and fast track security queue quite quickly, but are a bit concerned about our Oct fly cruise from Manchester for Azura and that is a 6am flight - we have avoided early flights for a number of years now.  We found Azamara particularly good as arranged our own middle of the day flights and hotels for a few days each end.  Beats two crossings of the BOB hands down.  

If we fly east now we go Emirates and stay in the excellent airside hotel in Dubai (or have a three night stop over).  Life is too short to have hassle at our age.  We do not fly overnight now, though will be difficult to avoid.

The Bucharest to Budapest river cruise was a slight problem as flights provided by Viking and had to change at Schipol for Bucharest and KLM left our cases there!  Luckily Viking was able to get it delivered to Bucharest just before we were transferred to the river boat.

Edited by tring

Budapest to Bucharest.

We have looked at that itinerary.  I think it is the "through the iron gates" one is it not?  We only did one river cruise, a "Magnificent Europe 14( or 15) night Budapest to Amsterdam which we really enjoyed.  Most other river itineraries are either to places we already visited on land trips or places we have no interest in (eg the Douro)

We mostly had to share our moorings along the route, one time rafting with THREE others so we definitely were not "alone".

Edited by edinburgher

50 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Budapest to Bucharest.

We have looked at that itinerary.  I think it is the "through the iron gates" one is it not?  We only did one river cruise, a "Magnificent Europe 14( or 15) night Budapest to Amsterdam which we really enjoyed.  Most other river itineraries are either to places we already visited on land trips or places we have no interest in (eg the Douro)

We mostly had to share our moorings along the route, one time rafting with THREE others so we definitely were not "alone".

Yes that is it, we went on the first trip out (late March I think) so a bit cheaper and perhaps quieter, though Budapest certainly in full swing when we arrived.  We have only ever been on that river cruise and a SPB to Moscow, but do not see anything like the latter going ahead many years now, though it was also good, albeit a bit busier - we did the very first Viking boat out of SPB, so not the normal hoards at all. Certainly no other boats around when we did that bit of the Eastern Danube, but was probably about 6-7 years back now, so do not know if that has changed, but still likely to be much quieter.  A couple of trips needed a bus ride as not everywhere directly on the river bank and boat moved one day when we were off it (through an industrial area I think).  We missed one excursion as feeling a bit too regimented and "tripped" by then and enjoyed the Croatian town where we docked (possibly Vukovar) at our own pace and some leisure time on the river boat.  We were glad we did as there were a lot of complaints that day about time stuck in a coach - cannot remember where to though.  We discussed skipping a day with a tour guide on the boat and advised not to miss the next one, which was the horse show. 

I also agree that SPB and Rusiian river cruises a will either not go ahead for years to come, or will be so impacted they won't hold any appeal.

We only jumped ship a couple of times in our 14 or 15 day river trip, as had been feeling we needed a bit of time just to ourselves. On a river cruise with much less in the way of public areas and with most following group tours ashore,  it is quite difficult to find some private time together unless in the cabin. 

That said we enjoyed the close sailing more than we had expected and our last FRED was similar but different in that it was German Waterways on Balmoral.   There were advantages to sailing that route on an ocean going vessel rather than on a river boat.  Might even  consider a Swedish Waterways if they bring that back out of Rosyth although we get the impression they are scaling back Rosyth sailings.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Sorry to Jump this but just booked our first on Balmoral going next week .. But did wonder..what has happened to the Grill??

And how flexible how they to changing dining times - we always found Borealis very accomadating (though I suspect the maitre de had got to know us)