Upgrade Fairy FINALLY flew my way

MomofTheBoy

So I'm super excited for this cruise.  Since the ports are Nassau, Half Moon, and Grand Turk, its a beachy vacay!  I just want to put my toes in the sand, sit back, watch the smile on my SONshines face, and relax, relate, release.  However I wanted a balcony to start my RRRing BUT I did not wanna pay an extra $300 for one.  Nope just couldn't see myself doing that.  Well because of my excitement I check my lil planner every few days.  I add stuff to the cart, take stuff out the cart and just in general poking around (also checking to see if the price changed - it hadn't).  Low and behold I saw an upgrade offer for $100!  Yes I will take it!

• Like 14

Haven't had a balcony since cruise #2 and this is cruise #7.  Single mom so cruising only happens every 3 to 4  years.  I'm so excited!!!  

Any recommendations for Nassau?  My son is 11 and he not the tourist dude.  He all about the water!  I wanted to do the submarine boat thing but the time of said excursion is smack dead in the middle.  So we will have to cut our beach time short on the front or back end.  I'd rather start my day off doing it so the rest could be the fish fry places and the beach.

5 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

That's great!  Fun ports and a balcony sounds awesome.  Have fun!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MomofTheBoy said:

Haven't had a balcony since cruise #2 and this is cruise #7.  Single mom so cruising only happens every 3 to 4  years.  I'm so excited!!!  

Any recommendations for Nassau?  My son is 11 and he not the tourist dude.  He all about the water!  I wanted to do the submarine boat thing but the time of said excursion is smack dead in the middle.  So we will have to cut our beach time short on the front or back end.  I'd rather start my day off doing it so the rest could be the fish fry places and the beach.

Nassau has Junkanoo Beach, about a twenty minute flat walk from the pier.  Casual tiki hut food and drink on the beach with chairs to rent.  It's a free beach so you could throw a towel down as well. Great view of the ships in port.  John Watlings Distillery is straight up the hill from the beach, about 15 minutes walk.  Best pina colada ever! Mr. 11 could have a virgin one😉

On Grand Turk exit the ship, walk up the pier and turn left to Jack's Shack, about a 10-ish minute walk along the beach.  Delish jerk chicken and more with tasty drinks with tables you can sit at (as long as you order) or chairs and umbrellas to rent.

HMC is awesome!  I would suggest walking up the beach to Cabana 9 (our usual go-to) and grab chairs in the big villas shadow.  Bathrooms are close by.

When is your cruise and where out of?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MomofTheBoy said:

This might be out of your budget, because it is absurdly overpriced, but Atlantis has an unbelievably amazing Waterpark. Calling it absurdly overpriced might be an understatement, but it was so much fun. Otherwise, do what someone else suggested and grab a taxi to junkanoo Beach. 

3 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Nassau has Junkanoo Beach, about a twenty minute flat walk from the pier.  Casual tiki hut food and drink on the beach with chairs to rent.  It's a free beach so you could throw a towel down as well. Great view of the ships in port.  John Watlings Distillery is straight up the hill from the beach, about 15 minutes walk.  Best pina colada ever! Mr. 11 could have a virgin one😉

On Grand Turk exit the ship, walk up the pier and turn left to Jack's Shack, about a 10-ish minute walk along the beach.  Delish jerk chicken and more with tasty drinks with tables you can sit at (as long as you order) or chairs and umbrellas to rent.

HMC is awesome!  I would suggest walking up the beach to Cabana 9 (our usual go-to) and grab chairs in the big villas shadow.  Bathrooms are close by.

When is your cruise and where out of?

Thank you!!!!  July 30th out of Miami.  I didn't think about doing the distillery because I had him. HOWEVER.... he likes a good sugar based frozen fruity beverage.  Me too just with a kick that he can't have!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brownc424 said:

This might be out of your budget, because it is absurdly overpriced, but Atlantis has an unbelievably amazing Waterpark. Calling it absurdly overpriced might be an understatement, but it was so much fun. Otherwise, do what someone else suggested and grab a taxi to junkanoo Beach. 

Yes I saw the Atlantis prices and the Ancestors weren't pleased with those prices LOL  Neither was I!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Booman14 said:

How long until you sail?  I'm 18 days out and I'm still hoping for an upgrade. 

I think 65 days from now.  Not soon enough!!!! The Chicago sand is gonna have to do until then...once the weather FINALLY breaks.

56 minutes ago, MomofTheBoy said:

Yes I saw the Atlantis prices and the Ancestors weren't pleased with those prices LOL  Neither was I!

It's actually cheaper to just stay at the hotel (well, the comfort suites next door that they own, it gives you full park privileges), for 2-3 nights (1 night is the same price as 2). It's ludicrous!

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
4 hours ago, MomofTheBoy said:

just want to put my toes in the sand, sit back, watch the smile on my SONshines face, and relax, relate, release. 

Honestly, this is all I needed to read. 

8 hours ago, brownc424 said:

It's actually cheaper to just stay at the hotel (well, the comfort suites next door that they own, it gives you full park privileges), for 2-3 nights (1 night is the same price as 2). It's ludicrous!

Comfort Suites Paradise Island is not, to my knowledge, owned by the Atlantis folks, but it's certainly true that it's a lot cheaper -- and IMHO, better -- than Atlantis.  I've stayed there 7 years in a row aside from 2020/COVID.

For cruise passengers, you MUST "book your room" at CSPI in advance, for the night following your arrival.   The room price may well be lower than Atlantis' day-pass prices for 2-4 people.  

Upon arrival at Nassau...   Take a taxi from the port to CSPI, check in, optionally check out right then, get your pink Atlantis cards, then walk up the hill to the Coral Tower entrance (there's an exit from inside the Comfort Suites that's the fastest way; follow the signs).  

The kiosk location where you get your wristbands seems to vary; in the past it's been in the Beach Tower lobby or in the Royal Towers lobby; be sure to find out before you head over to Atlantis.  

Armed with your wristbands, the entire facility is yours except Dolphin Cay and the private pools at the Reef and the Cove Towers.   

Note that Atlantis is not all-inclusive, but prices for meals and snacks at the Aquaventure water park kiosks are surprisingly reasonable compared to say, Six Flags or Disney (around $12 for an entree, side-snack and an all-day useable soda cup).  

I've got quite a few Atlantis reviews posted over on CC's related travel site; if anyone has questions about the waterpark, get in touch.  

12 hours ago, MomofTheBoy said:

Thank you!!!!  July 30th out of Miami.  I didn't think about doing the distillery because I had him. HOWEVER.... he likes a good sugar based frozen fruity beverage.  Me too just with a kick that he can't have!!!

You could make John Watling's educational by taking the free tour and learn about making rum, which every 11 year old should know how to do🤣 

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Congrats! We're hoping maybe the upgrade fairy will hit us again (we were upgraded/upcharged to a suite once before, was nice) before December as we're FH inside. The Oceanview alone was an extra $544 at the time of booking, let alone the Balcony, which was much more. We'd just love the Ocean View for the extra space. Balcony would be nice, not sure if we'd be offered that at a low price or not. Also, my MIL bought the room, not sure if they'd let us pay the difference through our website portal (not sure official name) or not but booking has been attached to our actual account. If they call, not sure if MIL would consult with us.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 2:54 PM, MomofTheBoy said:

That's so cool, not single but it can be hard financially. We're on 1 income, SAHM here, we do feel cruises from a port we're able to drive to is more affordable than flying! We are flying to my home soon, land-based, I haven't had a trip where I flew in about 6-7 years so it's really a shock to our bank account having to buy air for a family of 4. I see why so many people near me (lost of larger families with 5+ kids) choose camping! We've also been tent camping a lot the past few years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oyme said:

That's so cool, not single but it can be hard financially. We're on 1 income, SAHM here, we do feel cruises from a port we're able to drive to is more affordable than flying! We are flying to my home soon, land-based, I haven't had a trip where I flew in about 6-7 years so it's really a shock to our bank account having to buy air for a family of 4. I see why so many people near me (lost of larger families with 5+ kids) choose camping! We've also been tent camping a lot the past few years.

We have 2 DDs and my mom so we would do the 9 hour drive to Port Canaveral rather than fly.  Many times!! And we have done the camping in Florida and South Carolina.  Especially fun when its beach camping😄

31 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

We have 2 DDs and my mom so we would do the 9 hour drive to Port Canaveral rather than fly.  Many times!! And we have done the camping in Florida and South Carolina.  Especially fun when its beach camping😄

Beach camping would be fun! We live in a desert. We do travel up North a bit, though, for our camping so it's less of a desert environment. There's still some gorgeous rock formations nearby where we camp, though. 

• Like 1

I live in Chicago.  Not one pier is near me.  in 2017 we cruised with my mom (last time we cruised told you its only every few years) we, sorry I, drove from Chicago to Miami.  Not ever again in life will I do that.  My son was just turning 7 and my mother said she couldn't drive.  So it was me, 7 months from brain surgery that did all the driving.  Stopped in Atlanta as the half way point for the night to and fro.  Did I say never again in life?  I mean never ever again in life!!!  This one or the next one.  So flying is all I got!