Marseille for the day- what to do with 18 and 21 year old

winnies15

• thanks for previous help on the forum 😘
  • arriving in Marseille on Celebrity Silhouette August 2022 for the day
  • last time we were there we just wandered- family of four; 2 'kids' aged 18 and 21
  • looking for something not too lengthy but good fun/ of interest/ 'cool' to do in the area
  • looking forward to your suggestions

thanks

Helena

• Like 1

Let me start by saying having an 18 and 21 year old in tow does not really change anything.  You are talking about a port day in what I refer to as a "Gateway Port."  !8 and 21 year olds are not "kids" and certainly should not be treated as kids.   If you want to stay together as a small group you need to talk about the options and decide on a plan that best works for the group.  

I am not a fan of Marseille even though DW and I have spent time exploring that city, heading over to the Chateau d'If (think of the Count of Monte Cristo) etc.  I call Marseille a "gateway" because it gives a cruiser access to a big part of Provence.  We are talking cities like Aix en Provence, Nimes, Arles, and even Avignon.  There are also wineries, Pont du Gard, St Remy, Les Baux, etc.   In short there are many terrific options for a day trip from Marseille. 

If you only want to explore a city I would suggest just going to Aix en Provence (you can do this via regional bus, train, rental car, private tour, excursion, etc).  Aix is simply a much nicer city to visit then Marseille.  If you want to move out from cities you might consider a tour that gets you to Les Baux and some other place (different tours will have different suggestions).  Quite a few tours will combine a visit to St Remy (we once rented an apartment in that community) and Les Baux.  While Les Baux is a charming town (especially on market days) I have never understood why it is popular with tours other then to show folks that "this is a medium size Provence village."   Les Baux, on the other hand, is certainly worthy of a short visit because of its geographical setting, cute shops, etc.

Some folks also use Marseille as a gateway to the Luberon area (think Peter Mayle's "A Year in Provence") where they go to a few small villages and perhaps see the Lavendar (if your timing is right).  If you happen to be in the port on a Sunday morning you can also arrange for transportation to L'Isle sur La Sorgue, where they have one of the most delightful outdoor Sunday markets in all of France.  But for this market you need to get there by 11am since the vendors start to pack-up shortly after noon. 

I have only touched on a few things one can do from Marseille.  IMHO, those who simply stay in Marseille are missing out on one of the most delightful regions of France.

Hank 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Winnies15, I will be there with a 20 and a 23 y/o, similar thoughts as yours.  Watching a couple videos on Marseille itself was kind of a bummer.  

Hank, thank you kindly for the post you wrote, it's incredibly helpful.  We will view the stop as a gateway.

Marseilles is the second most dangerous area in France outside of the Parisian suburbs. While most of the crime is happening outside of the harbor area and is not tourism related, I'd still avoid it.  The places Hank mentioned are beautiful towns and villages.  Arles has the bullfighting arena, Avignon the famous  bridge, Les Baux-de-Provence has a world famous restaurant.  All of it has the medieval touch.  I have no idea if your kids will like that, but the way I see it is that the whole point in traveling is to take in the places and people and form an opinion afterwards.

• Like 2

Will have a stop in Marseilles on our September cruise.  We have been there before and not a fan of the city.  Not real safe or clean.  We are planning to go to Avignon.  Have also been there and it is very nice.  Very good representation of Medieval France.   Does anyone know the easiest way to get from the Cruise Port to the train station and how long it takes to get to the train station?  Your help is so greatly appreciated!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Travel To Be Free said:

Will have a stop in Marseilles on our September cruise.  We have been there before and not a fan of the city.  Not real safe or clean.  We are planning to go to Avignon.  Have also been there and it is very nice.  Very good representation of Medieval France.   Does anyone know the easiest way to get from the Cruise Port to the train station and how long it takes to get to the train station?  Your help is so greatly appreciated!!

Ask and ye shall receive (info).  The easiest and most efficient way is to get a taxi to take you from the port.  Otherwise, you would likely need to take a shuttle bus (free or paid depending on your cruise line) into town.  The shuttle buses generally drop everyone at the Vieux Port (Old Port) and it takes most folks about 15 min to walk to the station.  Beware that Avignon has two train stations.  The regular station is within walking distance of the walls but the TGV station is too far and requires the use of a shuttle bus or taxi to get to the walled part of town.  

Hank

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Schlinger said:

Marseilles is the second most dangerous area in France outside of the Parisian suburbs. While most of the crime is happening outside of the harbor area and is not tourism related, I'd still avoid it. 

Marseille doesn't seem that terrible to me (several visits). I just looked up crime levels and perhaps it is because the crime index in Marseille is virtually identical to the crime index in the city where I live. But like that city, crime in Marseille is not likely to be an issue where tourists go and in daylight hours. 

Then again I like big cities and do not feel uncomfortable in them. I am also a fan of Naples, which has a lot of similarities to Marseille. 

Yes, other cities nearby are postcard pretty places to visit.  I'm very fond of Avignon. But there's really nothing wrong with spending a day in Marseille either.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Travel To Be Free said:

Does anyone know the easiest way to get from the Cruise Port to the train station and how long it takes to get to the train station?  Your help is so greatly appreciated!!

Yesterday after disembarkation, the taxi ride was roughly 25 minutes from the cruise terminal to the Saint Charles train station.  Last month, the taxi hit a traffic jam and it took about 40 minutes.  The taxi cost €20 and is available right there and then at the cruise terminal. I looked up an Uber while walking the gateway and it was €22 with a ten minute wait.

There's also a bus that goes to the city center for free, but I'm not sure where exactly it goes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Levi is good said:

Is there a way to determine if the taxi you are taking is legit, and one is not getting ripped off getting to the train station?

Thank you so much.

We have never had an issue with illegal taxis in France.  Taxis are clearly marked, licensed, and they are also part of a union.  Not only would the government not be happy with an illegal cab, but the other drivers would likely deal with the problem.  I guess some illegals do exist, but we have never run into a  problem. 

Some basic rules might help throughout France.  If you get a taxi without a meter, agree on the price before you even get in the cab.  Also keep in mind that French taxis are quite expensive (except in Paris where fares seem OK).   I am also a fan of the "G7" Taxi company which you will find in Paris and quite a few other French cities.  That company is honest, you can book taxis in advance, and they even have an English phone number as well as an App.  Uber is also an option in some cities.

Hank

• Like 2