Family Reunion Cruise - Why Princess?

crawford

It's a good, solid intergenerational line with very strong itineraries.   The food on Princess is very good, so although on NCL we needed specialty dining, we were happy with the regular free food on Princess.  The cost is reasonable.   there's an excellent kids club for younger kids, although older children might prefer newer Royal or NCL ships.  We've traveled with grandparents, parents and young children, and everyone loved princess.  

Edited by kitkat343

13 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

It's a good, solid intergenerational line with very strong itineraries.   The food on Princess is very good, so although on NCL we needed specialty dining, we were happy with the regular free food on Princess.  The cost is reasonable.   there's an excellent kids club for younger kids, although older children might prefer newer Royal or NCL ships.  We've traveled with grandparents, parents and young children, and everyone loved princess.  

Thanks for your reply. Did you find any benefits specific to Princess with your family reunion? I guess what I'm looking for is any real advantage/benefit from one line over another. Does any line provide any edge/perk over another or is it typical of someone doing a normal booking? We are Elite with Princess and have experience with Carnival, NCL and Celebrity; just not with such a large group.

If you have lots of kids and especially teens, I would recommend Royal Caribbean Oasis class ships.  Tons of activities for them, too numerous to mention.  Take a look at their website.  However, if your group is mostly adults and young adults, then Princess would be fine.  There is no real advantage choosing Princess over any other line.  It depends on what type of experience your group is looking for.  You need to do lots of research before booking this one.

• Like 1

Personally, I would base your decision off what you know about the people in your group and what you know about the lines.  If your group includes a lot of active kids who aren't as good at entertaining themselves, Princes is probably not the right line.  Likewise, if your group includes a lot of late night owls who love an active night scene, Princess is probably not the right line.  If they generally want a more low-key, traditional cruise, Princess would be a great cruise.

Also, look at room types and the size of families that need to fit in those rooms.  Princess isn't known for having lots of connecting rooms or rooms that accommodate large families.  Some other cruise lines do that better.  They also don't have solo cabins if you have any solo travelers in your group.  

I don't know the size of your family reunion but my small family (a set of grandparents, two adult couples, and two children) cruises regularly.  So far we have done NCL and Carnival and we are booked on Princess next.  There are things I liked and disliked about each cruise but as a line, they each provided the experience we wanted to spend time together.

• Like 2

Really runs the gambit; 90% have never been on a cruise before. 20 under the age of 10 (to infants age); a couple of teens, a few singles in late 20's/early 30's, 12 adult parents in 30's, 10 grandparents over 60...Can't do Disney because of the cost. I imagine that since I am nor getting any "Princess secrets" (i.e. special provisions (like a free meeting room), something special for the cruisers, etc.) I should pretty much stock to a line with a lot of variety and multiple varieties of staterooms. Thank you again for your replies. Not finding a lot via my searches..... 

39 minutes ago, crawford said:

Really runs the gambit; 90% have never been on a cruise before. 20 under the age of 10 (to infants age); a couple of teens, a few singles in late 20's/early 30's, 12 adult parents in 30's, 10 grandparents over 60...Can't do Disney because of the cost. I imagine that since I am nor getting any "Princess secrets" (i.e. special provisions (like a free meeting room), something special for the cruisers, etc.) I should pretty much stock to a line with a lot of variety and multiple varieties of staterooms. Thank you again for your replies. Not finding a lot via my searches..... 

You can request a complimentary meet and greet room for one day.  You can have coffee, tea and some small pastries and cookies.  You can bring an alcoholic drink or Soda in from one of the bars.  You can usually have the space for a couple of hours or so.  That being said, since Covid protocols, this service may not be available so you will need to contact Princess.  I don’t know what you mean by “something special”.  You could probably ask for celebratory cakes to be shared one evening in the MDR.  If you book through a travel agent, you should be receiving a considerable discount for booking such a large group.  Even if you book directly with Princess they will offer group rates.  Now, 20 kids under 10 years old presents a different issue.  Is there enough to keep them happy, since there are no slides, etc. like you would  find on other lines?  Good luck in your search!

What destination are you thinking about?

I have to agree with @Lady Arwenthat Princess might not be the best fit since you have lots of young kids/adults.   I would consider RC Oasis of the seas or something more for the kids to do.   On Princess, there is basically the pool and the kids center.   Even Carnival might be a better choice.   Princess would be good for the 40+ crowd.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

What destination are you thinking about?

I have to agree with @Lady Arwenthat Princess might not be the best fit since you have lots of young kids/adults.   I would consider RC Oasis of the seas or something more for the kids to do.   On Princess, there is basically the pool and the kids center.   Even Carnival might be a better choice.   Princess would be good for the 40+ crowd.

Totally agree!  NCL also has ships that are basically amusement parks and would be more suited to their group. 

• Like 1

You need to set up a group no matter what line you choose. On Princess, for every 8 cabins you book (at least pre-covid) you get one "free" berth. You can claim this for yourself or let the savings be given to a reduction of the fare for everyone. If you will be arranging for more than 8 cabins I would definitely recommend you work with a travel agent. The agent has the option of showing you how to redeem the points you get for booking a group of cabins. Also, I would not want to be responsible of being in charge.

• Like 2

1. I will definitely book with a TA. Not concerned with the cost for us but other family members are  a consideration. RC may be a better fit. I have been on Carnival and NCL Does anyone know if they give a free cabin with 8?

Guest ldtr
4 hours ago, crawford said:

With that mix I would look at Royal Caribbean.  We are Elite on Princess, but tend to go with Royal when we cruise with the grandkids.

45 minutes ago, crawford said:
  1. I will definitely book with a TA. Not concerned with the cost for us but other family members are  a consideration. RC may be a better fit. I have been on Carnival and NCL Does anyone know if they give a free cabin with 8?

You travel agent will have all the information you would need to book a group cruise.  I would not be surprised if you are offered some type of free accommodation.  I agree that RCL would be your best choice.

Thank you for all your feedback! While I am not a fan of RC Oasis class ships, they offer the bells and whistles that the group will likely enjoy. Will definitely book via a TA. I have never been on RC and don't know if the TA's I've worked with in the past can provide a decent price. Not worried about the $$$ myself and would spread and savings out over the group. I know this is a thankless job but somebody's gotta do it! 😀

6 minutes ago, crawford said:

Thank you for all your feedback! While I am not a fan of RC Oasis class ships, they offer the bells and whistles that the group will likely enjoy. Will definitely book via a TA. I have never been on RC and don't know if the TA's I've worked with in the past can provide a decent price. Not worried about the $$$ myself and would spread and savings out over the group. I know this is a thankless job but somebody's gotta do it! 😀

Don't ignore the smaller class ships with Royal.  There are still so many things to do on the Quantum class ships and even the Voyager and Freedom class ships and pricing might be better for those more budget oriented in your group.  

On 5/30/2022 at 8:47 AM, Lady Arwen said:

If you have lots of kids and especially teens, I would recommend Royal Caribbean Oasis class ships.  Tons of activities for them, too numerous to mention.  Take a look at their website.  However, if your group is mostly adults and young adults, then Princess would be fine.  There is no real advantage choosing Princess over any other line.  It depends on what type of experience your group is looking for.  You need to do lots of research before booking this one.

Agree.  That’s why we stay with Princess.  I like the decor, the age of most on ship, we love kids.  Just not on our vacations after raising our own,  like activities. But not all the hype of water slides, bowling etc.  Also like the serenity of Princess.  I pray it doesn’t change.  And those that want change go to a line that has a different feel to it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dixechik said:

Agree.  That’s why we stay with Princess.  I like the decor, the age of most on ship, we love kids.  Just not on our vacations after raising our own,  like activities. But not all the hype of water slides, bowling etc.  Also like the serenity of Princess.  I pray it doesn’t change.  And those that want change go to a line that has a different feel to it. 

Agreed!

On 5/31/2022 at 7:36 PM, prmssk said:

Don't ignore the smaller class ships with Royal.  There are still so many things to do on the Quantum class ships and even the Voyager and Freedom class ships and pricing might be better for those more budget oriented in your group.  

Great point. Since no one on this trip would be an avid cruiser, we may be able to get better pricing on a smaller ship.