Free on-board Wi-Fi access to CruiseCritic: reviews but not message boards!

MkeCruzn

Hi all, we just got back from our cruise on the Escape. While on board, they were claiming that you could access CruiseCritic as one of their "free" sites, without using your Internet minutes. Sounds good, right? Well... the part of CC you can access is the reviews (so you can write one!). Try to access the message boards (such as for the roll call) and you have to use some of your minutes. The Internet Cafe people did not seem to know about this.

I was a bit bummed, to say the least, and since I was arranging the M&M, I made sure that I had already downloaded everything I needed onto my computer.

Has anyone else had a similar experience on the Escape or other ships?

Yes, this has been discussed before.  You can access the full site but for some reason you might get logged out at some point.

The solution that has always worked for me has been to use my minutes to log in to CC, then disconnect.  My CC account will then function correctly  - until it doesn't.  Could be good for hours, even days.

1 hour ago, MkeCruzn said:

Hi all, we just got back from our cruise on the Escape. While on board, they were claiming that you could access CruiseCritic as one of their "free" sites, without using your Internet minutes. Sounds good, right? Well... the part of CC you can access is the reviews (so you can write one!). Try to access the message boards (such as for the roll call) and you have to use some of your minutes. The Internet Cafe people did not seem to know about this.

I was a bit bummed, to say the least, and since I was arranging the M&M, I made sure that I had already downloaded everything I needed onto my computer.

Has anyone else had a similar experience on the Escape or other ships?

I used the computers in the Internet Cafe and was able to access the full site (I did this while waiting for trivia or something else to start, not just to check it).  I always get unlimited wi-fi so don't worry about minutes but don't usually use my time on CC either without a good reason.

well the slightly different web address beginning with boards might be to blame?  I know in high school they blocked my fav webcomic because it was video game related and they blocked all things with video games in the meta data but not the form board. 

Boards have worked fine for me on the Bliss, Encore and now Spirit this year. It's super slow and you can't upload (or see) photos, but it does work if you are patient.

If i want to post photos, or even just use it without waiting a minute or two for each page i use the "free" minutes or wait for mobile data.