hyatt in GC

lemongirl65

my husband and i were on the imagination in jan 06. we spent our day in GC at the hyatt. after much research we felt the hyatt could serve our needs best. we were looking for beach chairs, shade, booze, snorkeling and pool.

i was led to believe (foolish me) via the cayman activity guide dot com that the hyatt is available for free to cruise passengers who mention the guide.

not true. any way....the day pass was $35 pp with $15pp bar credit. you pay the bartender at the pool. nice guy/makes strong drinks.

we were given a handwritten pass and received 2 nice/thick beach towels from the "towel guy".

the pool is "T" shaped with the swim-up bar at the base of the "T", facing the beach. the jacuzzi sits up to the right and can be reached from inside the pool via ramp. the pool is beautiful. water was a little chilly at first but quickly tolerated.

the chairs are very nice with attached canopy.

shower at beaches edge.

did not eat the food but it looked good.

not very crowded. waitstaff on the beach was efficient, pleasant.

"redsail" has a shop at the hyatt and rent snorkeling gear. gear in excellent shape. fee was $10 (after $5 discount with day pass) for all day.

snorkeling was very good, but i am easy to please. i get excited looking at coral and the waving sea grass (my therapy). but i saw lots of fish, many colors, large schools of fish and 2 huge lobster looking creatures. the water was cloudy until 50-75 yards out. easy swim/water calm. i wore beach shoes but they weren't absolutely necessary.

there were beach mats, kayaks, jets skis for rent on the premises.

no vendors.

great people watching...lots of people walking dogs...i am a fanatical doglover so this was my idea of heaven....

taxi ride, as i recall (not 100% sure), was $20 to the hyatt, and $8 back...go figure. we dont haggle too much on vacation. we must have went to the wrong place to get a taxi...couldnt find one, so this tour guide in a van agreed to take us for $20. as we were leaving the hyatt, a taxi was sitting out front and we jumped in and had a great ride with "super E". taxi ride 15-20 mins.

we stayed for 4 hours. our tab? $200!! i had 2 frozen drinks, hubby had 2 beers and we each had a lemondrop shooter. most i ever paid for

drinks.

the ridiculously expensive drinks aside, we had a great day!

Lemon, we were thinking of going to the Hyatt too, not free like the Comfort Suites but on the beach, nice views. But what a bar bill!! 6 drinks for $200, ($33 a drink)! How much was a beer? Are you sure that you didn’t lose count after six, and maybe you had to start counting again? :-) ... that will often happen with cold drinks on hot beaches ... especially when you think yer seeing 3 legged dogs :-)

Hey remember that lost dog ad?: Lost Dog: 3 legs, 1 ear, blind in one eye, teeth missing, broken tail, rather ugly, answers to “Lucky” :-)

I tried your photo link but the Fotomat site gave a popup saying the link wasn’t working.

-Bob

Lemongirl:

Thanks for all the great details. Sounds like it has everything we need: teens would like to snorkel, MIL likes sun, DH likes shade, we all like pool and drinks :) Drinks sounds CRAZY expensive though! Are you sure??? LOL

I tried fotomat site but it can't locate your shared pictures as of yet.

FrannyK

Costa Riviera 1985

NCL Seaward 1987

CCL Fantasy 1/2000

CCL Sensation 2/2001

CCL Imagination 1/2002

RCI Explorer 6/2002

RCI Monarch 4/2003

CCL Sensation 2/2004

CCL Imagination 2/2006

CCL Liberty Thanksgiving/2006

Ok, some stupid questions...Do we just grap a taxi at the port? And do we need to sign up ahead of time to use the Hyatt? If we wait until the morning we are there will there be no problem getting chairs? Do they ever sell out? We will be there in two weeks on the Voyager.

i am trying to get the pic link working....

i tried to find our bar tab...no luck

in reference to our bar bill, i am only certain of 2 things:the total was $190 (ok i exaggerated by $10) and the 2 lemondrop shooters cost $30. so we must have drank more than 6 or we were double-billed, because the math doesn't work??? either way, $15 for a shot?

regarding getting a taxi at the port: we must have went to the wrong place to find a taxi because we didn't see any and none of the locals were being very helpful until this 1 nice man agreed to take us for $20....i am sure you could find a taxi for cheaper

i did not make a reservation. i just walked up to the bartender at the pool/beach.

my suggestion: i would check the port schedule for the day you are in GC. if there are many ships in port that day they may stop selling daypasses to cruise passengers. do not go in groups greater than 4. get there early. if for some reason, you are not able to use the hyatt, there is a beach right next door with a bar, food, chairs.(crowded).

Thanks for the information...there will be 5 ships in port on 3/15 when we are there. We will try to get off of the ship early. Hopefully there will be taxis at the port. It will be just me and my husband...our other 12 friends that will be with us will be at sting ray city. We already did that so we thought we would have a beach and shopping day.

Thanks Again!!!

frannyk: i am going on the liberty on 4/1(8 day). i see you are going in 11/06. i will write a review when i return.

Thanks Lemongirl, can't wait to hear all about it. We've only been on the smaller Fantasy class ships till now so we are very excited. BTW, how or where do I find out how many ships are in port on a given day?

FrannyK

Costa Riviera 1985

NCL Seaward 1987

CCL Fantasy 1/2000

CCL Sensation 2/2001

CCL Imagination 1/2002

RCI Explorer 6/2002

RCI Monarch 4/2003

CCL Sensation 2/2004

CCL Imagination 2/2006

CCL Liberty Thanksgiving/2006

Carolyn are you still around? ... I lost your email, and we have decided not to go to the Hyatt, way too expensive for drinks and food, so I won't be able to tell you about it when you email me that week. We're doing the Comfort Suites, free day passes for cruisers, got an email from the general manager, a fellow Canuck, from the same province as us. I think that means he pays for the drinks, right? :-)

-Bob

Archived