Transfers from FLL to Port of Miami?

jltnova

I'm new to cruising and I am booked to fly in to Fort Lauderdale (cheaper airfare) but we are leaving on the Explorer out of Miami. Our flight gets in early - around 9:30-10 and the boat departs at 5. My TA told me to call her if we want the RC transfers but I dont' know if it's better to go on our own.

What do you recommend? If we opt to go on our own what is the best way to go and can you recommend a shuttle service? This is for 2 adults.

Thanks!

Jen

We had a couple of days in miami prior to our cruise but you could still rent a car. Was only $29 for full size for the day. Picked it up at fll airport, returned it to miami airport then caught the rental car company shuttle to pier. Did the reverse on the way home.

We flew into Fort Lauderedale a few weeks ago to cruise on Voyager out of Miami. We had Royal Caribbean transfer. We waited for 45 minutes to get onto the bus and then went to another location to pick up more passengers. Next time I will arrange for our own transportation.

bill

We had a couple of days in miami prior to our cruise but you could still rent a car. Was only $29 for full size for the day. Picked it up at fll airport, returned it to miami airport then caught the rental car company shuttle to pier. Did the reverse on the way home.

Who did you rent from? That is a pretty good price. We are flying in the day before into FFL but cruising out of Miami. I thought it would cheeper and eaisier to rent a car, have it all night into Sunday...

We flew into Fort Lauderedale a few weeks ago to cruise on Voyager out of Miami. We had Royal Caribbean transfer. We waited for 45 minutes to get onto the bus and then went to another location to pick up more passengers. Next time I will arrange for our own transportation.

bill

What hours does the RCI shuttle run, and does it run on a schedule? Also, do you need to reserve the RCI shuttle ahead of time, or can you make the decision at the airport?

We too rented from Thrifty. We got $24/day for an economy car. We'll drop off at the airport in Miami, and they have a shuttle to the pier. Does anyone know if there is a closer drop off location? We are a party of 4, so this was the cheapest route for us. The RCCL transfers are $40 PP, I think. Gotta svae money for the drinks!! We also get in at 9:30 AM, so this way we can stop for breakfast, since we are flying all night cross country, and stop at a store to pick up some bottled water, and some sodas to take on board.

Renting a car is the way to go, IMO. Thrifty is great. Have done as well as $20 / day. Join their Blue Ribbon club and it's even easier when you get there.

I was on their web site and the best I got was $47??? How are you guys getting prices in the twenties$$$?

I do like that I can rent in FLL and drop off at the Pier. Thrifty looks like the way to go.

The Thrifty website lists the Miami port location as "cruise ship pickup only". This would imply that you can only pickup at the port and not return there, however the website also appears to allow you to book this as a drop off location. Has anyone actually done this? Is the location actually at the port or is it a shuttle ride to somewhere nearby?

When I made my reservation over the phone, I was told that you drop off at the airport and they have a free shuttle to the pier. I called the airport location directly and they confirmed this. When you get one after the cruise, you call a phone number they give you and they come and pick you up at the pier.

I was hoping the train would be useful, but it looks like timewise it isn't realistic for us. Our plane would have to be exactly on time and we'd have to rush to the station, otherwise we'd have to wait an hour.

Ah well, guess we'll be using the Airport Express shuttle for $36. :P

Aucruiser, no you are not slow!! Yes it is between airports and you would take a taxi. As quagmier0 stated everything would have to be exactly on time for it to work. We are actually renting a car from Miama to Fort Lauderdale (tomorrow!!!!!), and the cost is around 35.00 u.s, so it is a pretty cheap way of gettting there. It was cheaper for us to fly to Miama and drive to Fort Lauderdale. Bon Voyage!!

We used Tri-County a few weeks ago and it was great. There wer 4 of us with luggage and the cost was $64 from FLL to the port of Miami. You are picked up in a town car and dropped right at the cruise terminal. Definitely the way to go.:)

jltnova: I just noticed that your going to be on the same ship as me :)

Just find the Tri-County/Airport Express (Same Company) representative at the Airport, and get a car. Book your return with the driver on your way to the port. They usually let people on around 12, and it's a 45-60 minute drive.

Archived