XL sea terrace - no hammock, steel railings?

Janthere

Hi Ive read online that some of the XL sea terraces don't have hammocks and have steel railings on the balcony instead of glass. Does anyone have any experience with this or know which cabins to avoid for this? 

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

There is a thread in this post where people have been asked to post their cabin numbers and information on these specific issues (and others).  The cabins without hammocks are those located where the ship curves or other reason where the hammock can't be safely anchored.

• Like 1

I have overlaid the cabin numbers over these pics.  I hope they post big enough to see them.  If they don't I'll try posting again tomorrow a different way.  

Here is a list quoted from ... https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2874021-cabin-11346a-on-valiant-lady/#comment-63773847

At least on Scarlet, these are the no-hammock cabins- Valiant is her twin, so I'd guess it's the same:

DECK 9:
9366 A AND Z
9370 A AND Z
9374 A AND Z

DECK 10:
10354 A AND Z
10358 A AND Z
10362 A AND Z
10366 A AND Z
10370 A AND Z

DECK 11:
11286 Z
11346 A AND Z
11350 A AND Z
11354 A AND Z
11358 A AND Z
11362 A AND Z
11366 A AND Z
11368 A AND Z

DECK 12:
12338 A AND Z
12342 A AND Z
12346 A AND Z
12350 A AND Z
12354 A AND Z

Virgin front of ship 1.jpg

Virgin front of ship 2.jpg

Virgin front of ship 3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Great !  I am able to click on the pics above and then click on them again (+ in magnifying glass) and enlarge them.  I can read the cabin numbers overlaid pretty easily, especially once they're enlarged, can everyone else read the cabin numbers and can figure out exactly which ones are glass, partial glass/metal, and metal ?  Here are the deck plans as well ... 
https://www.virginvoyages.com/dam/jcr:057dce8f-801a-40b6-96db-aafd987bce65/Scarlet-Lady-Deck-Plans.pdf

I asked Virgin about the hammocks because originally one of our cabins was 11346.  The CSR said almost all sea terrace and XL sea terrace have glass railings and hammocks, and same exact size balconies.  If they have metal railings they do NOT have a hammock, and also have a metal railing, not glass, for the balcony.  The hammocks have to be able to support 330 pounds and that part of the ship its a structural issue why they cannot have the hammock, according to the CSR. 

Someone suggested for the terrace cabins currently unable to have hammocks because of ship structural issues in those locations, how about a hammock stand of some sort for those few cabins.  Many of these cabins with metal railings have slightly to much larger than regular balconies, so it should be possible.  This is a Great idea ! ... If balconies were super important to me and the hammock was a selling point, $50 OBC instead would not make me very happy.  We should ALL start sending that suggestion in to Virgin and maybe they would implement that idea.  (I did send that suggestion to them already : )

Here is a pic showing the difference in the layout of Regular terrace vs XL terrace that I made.  The main five differences are the location of the closet, the length of the bath counter, the size of the shower, the toilet in a separate cubby, and the XL cabins do NOT have a door to the sink area (doors only on toilet cubby and shower stall).  The regular terrace cabins do have a door to the sink area of course, because this is also the door for the toilet.  The closet in the XL appears to be verrrrry slightly smaller/shorter, but so little difference that I don't think this is a deciding factor.

428942694_VIRGINterracevsXL.jpg.fc15e07a3416a80872a4f3caaecd248d.jpg

And also here is a pic of a partial glass/partial metal railing cabin # 10358 posted by @Lustate where you can clearly see this cabin has partial glass, partial metal.  (I flipped the pic so it looks like A side, but this was Z side on Scarlet Lady).  10358 is listed as NOT having a hammock, but clearly it does.  I had read somewhere that some of the cabins they hadn't installed them yet when they first started sailing, but they have since installed some additional hammocks, so the list I posted above may be older/not totally accurate info.

589841914_Virgincabin10358.jpg.725dba904a485be5da31cc826686498c.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, angela12345 said:

Here is a pic showing the difference in the layout of Regular terrace vs XL terrace that I made.

This is amazing! So helpful to see the two layouts side by side. The bathroom in the regular room is really, REALLY tiny, especially for two very tall adults. I just put an XL terrace on hold - I think the extra bathroom space is more than worth the cost. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so lucky I stumbled onto this thread. My room is 10358A. I have partial glass. Should I ask for a switch? Seems the only way you would be able to see water is perhaps from the bed and if you are standing. It looks like sitting in a chair, the metal would completely block your view of anything but sky

2 hours ago, fndecker said:

I'm so lucky I stumbled onto this thread. My room is 10358A. I have partial glass. Should I ask for a switch? Seems the only way you would be able to see water is perhaps from the bed and if you are standing. It looks like sitting in a chair, the metal would completely block your view of anything but sky

I had an XL sea terrace that I downgraded from because I discovered it was partially metal. I don’t sail for another couple of weeks but I definitely feel better about my room now that I’ve switched - even if it has slightly less space.

Thank you. I'm not a room person because I'm not in the room but to crash for 7 hours. So could have the smallest room and it wouldn't matter much 😉 But we went with the XL. They were kind enough to move us down a floor and a couple of rooms aft to have all glass. I feel better about it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, neverendingcruising said:

2 chairs on most balconies. Some of the suites also have loungers. You cannot currently pick your room online. If you use a travel agent they can select one for you or you can call Sailor Services and they can move or book you for whatever you're looking for. 

2 Chairs on all balconies, even our "biggest" Cheeky Corner Suite balcony. 2 dinky chairs plus that same tiny little table. Yes we did have two chaise loungers which were nice, but literally the rest of the balcony was empty space.  It honestly surprised us there wasn't at least a table large enough for four people to enjoy a meal together or a cocktail party. We had to carry the table and chairs from our friend's suite to ours just to have enough space to enjoy breakfast on the balcony one morning. 🙂 

21 hours ago, bostonfred said:

How many deck chairs on the balconies? And can you choose your cabin, or are they assigned?.thanks😉

When you book directly online you cannot choose your cabin. After you've completed the booking, you can then call VV to ask them to assign a different cabin.

Or you can book through a travel agent who CAN select a specific cabin for you during the booking process. 

There is also another no so good XL cabin to be aware of next to the bridge. This is the smallest XL with known issues on board. This is due to the position of the bed being so close to the desk it’s tucked under it. It’s cabin 14334Z for info. It’s also eye shot from bed to the side controls for the ship on the bridge so you can wave to them from bed if that’s your thing lol 

• Thanks 1