Anchorage Car Rental after Cruise Transfer

slw00

We will disembarking in Whittier then taking a cruise transfer of some sort to Anchorage. I want to pick up a rental car for a week in Anchorage. Would I be better off taking a transfer to downtown Anchorage and renting the car there versus renting from the airport? My car rental return will be at the airport. How much of a choice do I get with transfers from the Princess Cruise Line?

Most efficient would be to get the cruise line contracted bus to the airport and go directly there and pick up your car. Even though taxes are running about 30% on airport rentals with your return there, you probably won't have much if any savings picking up downtown.

All the majors are at the airport, including Payless, Thrifty, Alamo, Dollar, Budget etc. Check them all and compare. Priceline also can be a cost savings option. The cheapest I have gotten the last couple years was with Alamo using one of their special weekly rates that comes out time to time. Get on their email list and keep checking. Make a reservation now then cancel if a better one comes up.

Archived