Horizon - Hot, hot, hot (and no, not in a good way)

acsfl

Can anyone in the know verify that Vista class ships have individual A/C units for each state room in addition to the ships A/C system. I do not think they do. You may have a thermostat to control your room comfort. But I doubt an individual A/C unit.

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Can anyone in the know verify that Vista class ships have individual A/C units for each state room in addition to the ships A/C system. I do not think they do. You may have a thermostat to control your room comfort. But I doubt an individual A/C unit.

No cruise ship has individual AC units for cabins, in the traditional sense.  Then again, the main ship's AC system is not like a home cooling system either.  The ships use a chilled water system, where huge AC units in the engine room chill fresh water to about 45*F, and this water is circulated around the ship.  For public spaces and the fresh air supply to public spaces and cabins, the water enters a cooling coil, where the air is cooled to the setpoint, and then distributed around the ship.  These units are in the "white spaces" along the centerline of the decks with cabins.  What each cabin has, and what the thermostat controls is a small chiller, that has a fan that takes air from the cabin, passes it through a cooling coil that is cooled by the same chilled water system,  and the fan then directs the air back to the cabin.  The thermostat turns on this fan, and opens the chilled water valve to start cooling.

So, as I say, unlike a residential AC system where refrigerant directly cools the air, the ship uses chilled water as an intermediate medium, the refrigerant cools the water, and the water cools the air.

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2022 at 5:48 AM, BasicSailor said:

Sorry to hear this, hoping for a speedy recovery. Still, it makes me wonder if the air flow was reduced intentionally. It was discussed a while back the possibility of spreading the virus through air ducts.

There has not been any data that covid can be spread through a centralized HVAC system, even ASHRAE (American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Engineers) says they don't have any data, and doubt it is possible.  If there had been, then every single building in the world would need to be retrofitted.  The only incident that even mentioned AC causing spread, was the restaurant in China, where the airflow in the dining room, caused by the AC spread the virus beyond the normal 6 feet for coughs and sneezes.  It was not caused by the virus circulating in the AC system.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

No cruise ship has individual AC units for cabins, in the traditional sense.  Then again, the main ship's AC system is not like a home cooling system either.  The ships use a chilled water system, where huge AC units in the engine room chill fresh water to about 45*F, and this water is circulated around the ship.  For public spaces and the fresh air supply to public spaces and cabins, the water enters a cooling coil, where the air is cooled to the setpoint, and then distributed around the ship.  These units are in the "white spaces" along the centerline of the decks with cabins.  What each cabin has, and what the thermostat controls is a small chiller, that has a fan that takes air from the cabin, passes it through a cooling coil that is cooled by the same chilled water system,  and the fan then directs the air back to the cabin.  The thermostat turns on this fan, and opens the chilled water valve to start cooling.

So, as I say, unlike a residential AC system where refrigerant directly cools the air, the ship uses chilled water as an intermediate medium, the refrigerant cools the water, and the water cools the air.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was hoping yo would.