Hotel in Long Beach?

We'll be debarking the Radiance in Feb., staying overnight and embarking the Panorama the following day. We therefore need an overnight hotel. We booked a nice one in LA before the Radiance for about $150. All we've seen in Long Beach are around $300. Does anyone know of any hotel not too far (1-2 miles) from the port at a $150 price-or close to it? I won't even hope for a shuttle to/from the port area! Thanks,

$150 is a very low price for a good hotel in a safe location near the coast in CA. Maybe look at the Golden Sails or Pacific Inn, but figure in the cost of a cab there and back to the port. I'd keep checking the Hotel Maya DoubleTree for cancellations.

First question might be "Where in LA did you get a "nice hotel" for $150?  Yes, of course they do exist...if booked early and you're lucky on the dates...But, beware, most LA hotels that look like bargains are really not.  Often the location is either really bad or really remote.

As to Long Beach, my list remains the same as on the thread you started in March:  Hyatt Centric at the Pike, Hyatt Regency, Renaissance, Westin...maybe the Residence Inn Downtown or Hilton.

...and the Maya Doubletree that you had previously posted as unavailable.

If you want to go elsewhere, remember, you're adding longer taxi or Uber rides in both directions...unless you stay that night inbetween in San Pedro (Crowne Plaza or Doubletree).  

If none of this works for you, look Southeast to Seal Beach and Southeastern Long Beach (Naples, etc.) or Northwest to Torrance (near Del Amo Mall) or Redondo Beach.  Don't get too creative looking to other areas inland--most are not good.

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

If you want to go elsewhere, remember, you're adding longer taxi or Uber rides in both directions...unless you stay that night inbetween in San Pedro (Crowne Plaza or Doubletree).  

I'll second everything said here and add what we do as we live fairly locally.

If you are traveling light enough and have the kind of energy that people on the Amazing Race have, then this may work for you.

When you dis-embark from leg 1,   you can roll your bag across the street (Front St.) and catch the Silver Line J which is an express Metro bus which will get you to downtown LA in about an hour,  traveling along the Figueroa corridor.     It used to be $2.00 pp but with inflation it is now probably $2.50pp but it is the Greatest Deal on Earth as far as getting in and out of the Port of L.A.

That means that you can choose from alot more hotels along the corridor and maybe catch a special but more importantly,   you will be able to eat at places like Olvera Street (authentic LA pueblo/mex) or something like Phillippe's roast beef sandwich down the street.

Better still,  you are connected to the Metro so you can get to most common places that you've seen on TV or the movies safely,  (for a day pass price) or even end up in Griffith Park staring up at the Hollywood Sign.   That's probably a reach but this is LA and nobody walks in LA unless you are using the Metro or you are making a video for the Red Hot Chili Peppers.     On the way back you can stop at Tommy's on Beverly and Rampart for the best Chili-burger in the world.

By that time,   you may not even need a hotel as it might be morning and you could wait out at a nearby park and get their early to be the first ones there and that's good if your playing the Amazing Race because you will not be eliminated from the games.    

My point is,   this is the affordable way to see LA on a stayover and get in and out of the Port really easily.

Check the bus schedules to be sure 

3 hours ago, chocolate melting cake said:

We'll be debarking the Radiance in Feb., staying overnight and embarking the Panorama the following day. We therefore need an overnight hotel. We booked a nice one in LA before the Radiance for about $150. All we've seen in Long Beach are around $300. Does anyone know of any hotel not too far (1-2 miles) from the port at a $150 price-or close to it? I won't even hope for a shuttle to/from the port area! Thanks,

There are many good hotels around the port area, but boy are they expensive right now. Check the Hotel Royal, Long  Beach. It's downtown, has a good rating and reviews. Booked it last week two nights $278 total. One drawback to this hotel is there's no elevator. Suggestion, book a hotel with a no prepayment and free cancellation, then keep checking for lower prices for other hotels. 

49 minutes ago, JRG said:

When you dis-embark from leg 1,   you can roll your bag across the street (Front St.) and catch the Silver Line J which.....

The OP is in Long Beach on the Carnival Radiance and Carnival Panorama, not the Radiance of the Seas.

Oops,  then it would be too far to roll a bag up to LB.  My bad.

Thank you for pointing that out quickly.

Probably end up last in the Amazing Race too.

Good thing I'm not driving the ship.