Heathrow and Wait Times

How early should we arrive at Heathrow for our flight? I am seeing posts about excessive wait times. We were thinking that we needed to be there 3 hours before our late afternoon flight. We are picking up a car rental at Southampton Airport and were  hoping to drive from Southampton to Heathrow with a stop at Highclere.

Thanks!

Stephanie

Three hours is normally being excessively prudent.

Airports around the world are struggling with low staff levels at the moment after culling staff during Covid. Manchester airport in particular has been pilloried about long long lines to check in, but I've not heard any horror stories about Heathrow. 

The situation may get worse in the coming weeks -  if you can quote the date (and day-of-the-week) for your flight home we can try to be more specific

Via Highclere is pretty straightforward.

But unless you have a great deal with Avis, there are a number of rental depots close to the cruise terminals - the airport is about 8 miles / £20 away. 

JB 🙂

Thanks John! We do have a great deal with Avis. 60 pounds!  You have been so incredibly helpful answering our questions. 

I think I saw on another thread that you suggested arranging for transport ahead of time to the Airport and that taxis could be hard to come by. Is there a reasonably priced company you would recommend. I was just going to Uber...

Stephanie

10 hours ago, seba1 said:

Thanks John! We do have a great deal with Avis. 60 pounds!  You have been so incredibly helpful answering our questions. 

I think I saw on another thread that you suggested arranging for transport ahead of time to the Airport and that taxis could be hard to come by. Is there a reasonably priced company you would recommend. I was just going to Uber...

Stephanie

Yes Stephanie, £60 is a very good deal - especially with a different drop-off address.

And the airport is close to the motorway.

The problem with Uber is that the wait and fare are fluid - depending on supply & demand they can be quick & cheap or can take a while & be expensive. I don't know about that time of the morning. I'd think it'd be a quiet time time of day but with relatively few Uber drivers.

It wouldn't have been me saying taxis could be hard to come by, even a long line at the cruise terminal usually moves quickly - but of course there are exceptions.

If you want to pre-book try https://westquaycars.com/

Last I heard it was around £20, but recent hikes in fuel prices may have pushed fares higher.

Do pre-ibook Highclere Castle.

Oh - and as you're probably aware from watching Downtion Abbey, it's not a "castle". That was an affectation at the time amongst owners of "stately homes".

But I think the curse of King Tut is long-gone 😉 . The owner of Highclere Castle, Lord Carnarvon, funded Howard Carter's finding & opening the pharaoh's tomb & in 1923 was (reputedly) one of the first to succumb to the curse. 

JB 🙂

We flew out if LHR T5 a couple of weeks ago, and it was a breeze. 

30 minutes from arrival to entering departures,  and that included checking in our luggage. 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1