Glacier Bay - NCL Encore Open Areas vs Balcony? (Oct 2022)

T12345

Hi,

I have a balcony cabin booked and was wondering if it's better to view it from my cabin or go into the open public areas? I'm on Deck 15, so that's close to the observation lounge as well.  Also, does the ship rotate 360 degrees so everyone gets to view, as I don't really want to miss something on the other side of the ship from my balcony.  Thank you in advance. 

We had a balcony on deck 15 on the Encore May 8th sailing and it was the perfect spot. We did go up to the bow, but it got crowded and the view wasn’t as good. Also down to deck 5 or 6, whichever it was that goes around the ship. They had a photographer down there that took the most AMAZING picture of the 2 of us in front of one of the glaciers. It seriously looked fake it was so pretty. But overall, we spent most of the time on our balcony. And yes, the ship rotates several times at the first glacier, and the 2nd glacier I think it went once or twice, so everyone gets to see. You see one side of glacier bay up and once side back. Your own private little heaven. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kona_wahine said:

We had a balcony on deck 15 on the Encore May 8th sailing and it was the perfect spot. We did go up to the bow, but it got crowded and the view wasn’t as good. Also down to deck 5 or 6, whichever it was that goes around the ship. They had a photographer down there that took the most AMAZING picture of the 2 of us in front of one of the glaciers. It seriously looked fake it was so pretty. But overall, we spent most of the time on our balcony. And yes, the ship rotates several times at the first glacier, and the 2nd glacier I think it went once or twice, so everyone gets to see. You see one side of glacier bay up and once side back. Your own private little heaven. 

Great thank you for the helpful advice.

We were on Encore last August to AK and took excursion trip  up Endicott Arm to Dawes Glacier - we got VERY CLOSE  (IIrc it was a quarter mile??) to the Glacier. boat met us a couple miles away from Glacier, still very deep into Endicott Arm.   Boat stopped and did the 360 degree rotation, they only stopped it for a moment to reboard those of us on the excursion and then they completed it.    Sounds like the Glacier Bay stop and rotations are even more than everyone got on Dawes….  I do recommend if you are on the the cruise with the Endicott arm/Dawes excursion (or Tracy Arm to glacier) that you do it.  Its a long haul to get OUT to the glacier on the smaller boat (not unpleasant, just long, because you are excited and anxious) and the excursion crew we had was awesome - (very educational!) but once you see it and hear it and get to watch the small pieces fall, while you float amongst the newly fallen pieces, its breathtaking!  Good luck and enjoy!!!  

13 hours ago, suzieq2cruise said:

We were on Encore last August to AK and took excursion trip  up Endicott Arm to Dawes Glacier - we got VERY CLOSE  (IIrc it was a quarter mile??) to the Glacier. boat met us a couple miles away from Glacier, still very deep into Endicott Arm.   Boat stopped and did the 360 degree rotation, they only stopped it for a moment to reboard those of us on the excursion and then they completed it.    Sounds like the Glacier Bay stop and rotations are even more than everyone got on Dawes….  I do recommend if you are on the the cruise with the Endicott arm/Dawes excursion (or Tracy Arm to glacier) that you do it.  Its a long haul to get OUT to the glacier on the smaller boat (not unpleasant, just long, because you are excited and anxious) and the excursion crew we had was awesome - (very educational!) but once you see it and hear it and get to watch the small pieces fall, while you float amongst the newly fallen pieces, its breathtaking!  Good luck and enjoy!!!  

This excursion is not available this year.  I booked it and it was cancelled because of staffing issues. ☹️