Sazeracs on Celebrity

Morganw42

It depends if they have the Absinthe.   Even if they do plan on showing thru UTube or telling them how to make it.  

I had one BT tell me he could do it and it was more like a Manhattan.  Never asked him again 

Has some success on the Apex at the Eden bar. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I've had similar experiences.  Absinthe or Herbsaint are pretty hard to come by on a cruise ship, as are Peychaud's bitters.  Sazerac rye (or any rye) also is getting tough to find on board at the moment, although some still have some Bulleit rye around.

Years ago, I tried getting one on a ship that had Sazerac rye and Pernod on board.  I figured the Pernod would be close enough to stand in for absinthe.  What I got was something more like a Manhattan (like @miched mentioned) because they didn't have Peychaud's, only Angostura bitters.  Big difference.

True classic cocktails can sometimes be hard to get.  But it seems to more be related to all the required ingredients.  Especially if you know how to make them yourself.  On our last 2 Celebrity cruises.....I was able to enjoy real classic Old Fashioned [no smashed fruit] & Sazerac cocktails.  Just by teaching my favorite bartenders how to make them correctly.  Then providing a nice tip.  After that, I was golden for the rest of the cruise.

• Like 2

On our last cruise January on Silhouette, the bartender at WCB made her version of a Sazerac. I was looking for something “different “ and had never had one before. It became my go to drink as I enjoyed it so much. She made it with half rye half cognac, Pernod, angostura and Peynauds bitters and simple syrup. I made sure I got what I needed to make it when returning home.  BTW she seemed to be the only BT who could make it. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 9:09 AM, miched said:

It depends if they have the Absinthe.   Even if they do plan on showing thru UTube or telling them how to make it.  

I had one BT tell me he could do it and it was more like a Manhattan.  Never asked him again 

Has some success on the Apex at the Eden bar. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

So good to know that you had success on the Apex.  Headed there next Sunday.  I will be sure to check.  Thanks for the intel!

5 hours ago, quicklabs said:

So good to know that you had success on the Apex.  Headed there next Sunday.  I will be sure to check.  Thanks for the intel!

We sailed on the Apex for 4 weeks in Feb thru March 

If Oleskii is the BT he will be able to make it.   Benji is also fantastic.  They make a great team.   Percy is also a great server and on occasion will make drinks even though not a BT.   It may take a while to warm up to Oleskii but don’t take to personal.  He is very  opinionated but makes great drinks and is a good person.     Benji is a sweetheart.  

His wife works in Future Cruises.   A very nice and helpful person. 

The Eden was our favorite bar and we were in a suite with retreat privileges.  If they  were open we were there.    

Had to be isolated to get the pics without the masks 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

06D04A4E-09A4-48DC-B9F9-FDA4259EBD5F.jpeg

9237B09F-63F3-45A1-9132-DC2B363A71C7.jpeg

Edited by miched
  • Like 1