Cruise to Egypt & Aegean

walkerer

We're also on the Golden Aegean/Egypt sailing this year. I'm more worried about Princess changing their plans re: Kusadasi than Egypt at this point. (I'd hate to miss Ephesus, but I'd REALLY hate to miss Egypt!)

Did you price the Egypt overnight tour this year? It's up to $750 per person. :eek: However, as others pointed out, you can arrange things on your own for considerably cheaper.

We did the Baltics on Star last season and I have to say that I didn't mind the ship size. Only thing that I did NOT like was the fact that, due to her size, the Star often was docked in industrial port areas -- not much to see and a pain to get into town.

I have a feeling the overnight Eygyptian excursion is worth it at any price :)
It's more than a feeling -- I agree completely. We did it in 2001 and it was fabulous. I'd do it again even with the increased price. I'll be 66 when we're scheduled to go there and searching for and booking an independent tour doesn't appeal to me. I want the security of knowing that Princess is taking care of me and I'm willing to pay for it.

LOL -- I just realized that in 2001 we were booked for a Holy Land cruise and it was cancelled when things blew up over there -- literally -- and our replacement for it then was the Amazon River. Do I see a pattern here?
Were you booked on the old Royal Princess for the 2001 cruise? That's the one that we took and the Holy Land was cancelled, substituting two days in Istanbul instead. Since we'd planned to do a post-cruise in Istanbul, we were perfectly happy with the itinerary change plus we got a substantial price reduction (about $500/pp) for the change.

T& J...

I don't understand what you are talking about relating to Egypt. There are no warnings, except for the Avian Flu. I have even spoken with Princess and they are keeping it in the itinerary as of right now, as there are no threats at this time. Who are you talking too?

I sure do hope we get there...we have done several of these ports in the past and Egypt is one of the main reasons for this choice in itinerary

To all my fellow passengers on this most exciting upcoming cruise...keep the prayers a comin'...we need to see the whites of the camels eyes.

I was speaking with CSO Chief Security Officer onboard the Grand while I was just onboard. With what is happening in the Middle East it is very possible they would cancel a port that is beyond level 2 enhanced. Currently, they are at Level 2 for these ports which is extremely high security, no visitors, parcels, etc. onboard.

Tony

Tony...let's just keep hoping that it doesn't happen (canceling Egypt and/or Turkey). Like you, we have done the med before and hope to get to Egypt and Turkey this time. We have made many plans and hope we don't have to cancel any of them and rebook either.

There was an article in our newspaper last week from a women who just came back from Egypt and she said she felt that the people very grateful for visitors and they really show their appreciation. She felt very safe and never saw anything out of the way to make her worry. It is such a sad world we live in. I wish all of us could just get along.

Tony, let us know if you hear anything else please...we would appreciate your input.

Do they ever let "visitors" aboard a ship that is in port? I know when our daughter worked for Princess we wanted to meet her in Florida and get to see where she lived, worked, etc. She had to put in a request for passes about two weeks in advance and name specifically who would be aboard. We were allowed to visit her, although our grandson who was 3 at the time could not come aboard because his name was not on the list. Another time anouther daughter met her in Livorno (misspelled that!) Italy and couldn't come on the ship while they were in port there...all of this was before 9/11 so I can't imagine the circumstances of letting someone, not on the cruise, on the ship. (Our daughter had Officer status and more priviledges that other staff and it didn't matter.)

• 3 weeks later...
Tony...let's just keep hoping that it doesn't happen (canceling Egypt and/or Turkey). Like you, we have done the med before and hope to get to Egypt and Turkey this time. We have made many plans and hope we don't have to cancel any of them and rebook either.

There was an article in our newspaper last week from a women who just came back from Egypt and she said she felt that the people very grateful for visitors and they really show their appreciation. She felt very safe and never saw anything out of the way to make her worry. It is such a sad world we live in. I wish all of us could just get along.

Tony, let us know if you hear anything else please...we would appreciate your input.

Let's just keep hoping and praying!

Terry

Do they ever let "visitors" aboard a ship that is in port? I know when our daughter worked for Princess we wanted to meet her in Florida and get to see where she lived, worked, etc. She had to put in a request for passes about two weeks in advance and name specifically who would be aboard. We were allowed to visit her, although our grandson who was 3 at the time could not come aboard because his name was not on the list. Another time anouther daughter met her in Livorno (misspelled that!) Italy and couldn't come on the ship while they were in port there...all of this was before 9/11 so I can't imagine the circumstances of letting someone, not on the cruise, on the ship. (Our daughter had Officer status and more priviledges that other staff and it didn't matter.)

I can assure you that on this voyage the ports involved are all Level 2 enhanced ports which means no packages, no visitors etc onboard whatsoever...

Let's just keep hoping and praying!

Terry

We'll I just paid for this cruise and the one previous yesterday so I am hoping as well that we are going. I haven't been back in touch with my contact in Security but will be asking again closer in mid October if anything has changed....I'll keep you all posted!Tony

We just booked this cruise for 2007, the pricing was fantastic. I think Cass did a bit of arm twisting (thanks Casshew ;)) and it worked. How in the world I ever talked the DH into this is beyond me. I think asking him if a divorce would be in order IF I did book it was the key. ROFL After years of trying, he finally said YES! (not to the divorce, but to booking the cruise)

I have a feeling the overnight Eygyptian excursion is worth it at any price :)

Hey Cass, we are going to be in Egypt together!!!!!!!!!! I will not miss that no matter what, cost is soooo not a factor here. Its the experience that matters and I have a feeling it will stay with me forever. Its the reason we booked this particular cruise. To see three of the most incredible historical sights at the same time. When I die and I'm at the Pearly Gates I want to tell St. Peter that I did everything in this life that I wanted to. Gawd, I sound like a drama queen :p

We just booked this cruise for 2007, the pricing was fantastic. I think Cass did a bit of arm twisting (thanks Casshew ;)) and it worked. How in the world I ever talked the DH into this is beyond me. I think asking him if a divorce would be in order IF I did book it was the key. ROFL After years of trying, he finally said YES! (not to the divorce, but to booking the cruise)

I'm actually thinking about switching to this one also...the price is right. How do you think the weather would be at the end of Nov though? I think I would rather be on Princess than NCL for 12 days. Just can't decide what to do. :confused:

Well, let's just say no matter what the weather, this is a one date cruise for next year, no other choice on Princess. And after 30 cruises, we have learned that you can't predict Mother Nature. We have planned sailings in the past for when the weather is supposed to be great, and it has been terrible. We have also planned sailings in the past during the worst time of the year and the weather has been perfect. You can just never tell.

So, before we leave, we keep a check on what the weather conditions have been in that region and pack accordingly.

I think it will be great to spend Thanksgiving onboard the Star Princess on our way to Egypt!

I'm actually thinking about switching to this one also...the price is right. How do you think the weather would be at the end of Nov though? I think I would rather be on Princess than NCL for 12 days. Just can't decide what to do. :confused:

Oh don't worry about the weather. It should be good if not great no matter what. Just think of where you will be going!! Why should a bit of rain stop that?? And the crowds will be next to nil. Come on and join us on this one. :)

Sorry that missed out on what cruise you paid down for. We are always interested in good deals:).

Terry (Saddlebrooke)

Think positive Cass. Yes the weather will be great; Yes the weather will be great. Now repeat that ten times as you fall asleep at night and all will be fine LOL.

BTW - I just checked out your website, impressive!!

Archived