Santiago Day Room

alithecat

Apologies if this has been asked and answered. I searched but can't find any info.

We will be on a Silver Cloud expedition to Antarctica this December [We hope. This will be our 3rd try.] Silversea now has a charter flight to/from Santiago & Puerto Williams. Silversea used to have a day room for those with late flights. For those who have returned to Santiago from Antarctica, what time did you get to the day room and when did they take you back to the airport? Is it worth the bother?

We booked our own flights on United, so probably won't get the day room. I checked and the only lounge we will have access to at SCL has a 2-hour limit. Our flight is not until 10:30pm. I'm considering booking a room at the airport Holiday Inn, so we have someplace to hang out in the afternoon and evening.

I'd appreciate advice from those who have done this trip.

We were on the Cloud's Antarctica voyage this past Chrismas/NY.

We landed at SCL airport a little before noon and while retrieving our bags from the Charter flight were told we could use a day room if we wanted.  Silversea had a rep with a clipboard there.  As we headed for check-in for our American BC return flight,  my luggage fell over, my wife went to lift it, when a luggage thief grabbed my wife's carry on and valuable bag and got ten feet before my wife yelled at her and confronted her--an AA rep was their immediately.  Long story short, my wife (Spanish is her first language) and I then went to the Chile Airport Police station for her to make a statement (to help prosecute the thief).  This took 3 hours, so we missed the opportunity for a day room.  

So, think Silversea will provide a day room for your voyage.  Have a blast--we loved Antarctica and are going to South Georgia on the Cloud in March.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, WesW said:

We were on the Cloud's Antarctica voyage this past Chrismas/NY.

I remember your post about the thief at SCL. We'll be extra cautious there.

We are booked on the Holiday cruise to South Georgia, and are getting excited. But not too excited...we were booked on the Cloud in 2020 and on the Seabourn Quest in 2021 and both cruises were cancelled.

@alithecat What does it show on your Silversea Voyage Confirmation/Invoice. This is what it shows for us:

image.thumb.png.520b19ec03cec71a755441600c6163cd.png

And on My Silversea, it shows this:

image.thumb.png.b551f587d3bbe56c2f89ec52ad752681.png

We have our air through SS and you don't, so I'm not sure if yours just ends after the flight to Santiago. They might just leave you at the airport, since that's where your travel with SS ends! You might also find you can book a transfer or tour ending back at the airport with SS as an add-on excursion, but I don't know if that info will even be available until we're on board. If you can reserve a day room at the Holiday Inn without pre-paying — so you can cancel it if you find there's better option from SS once you get on the ship — that would cover your bases.

• Like 1