Discovery Princess - HDMI connection

lotus land

14 minutes ago, culvercitycruiser said:

This is the video I made showing the process

Switching to the HDMI input didn't work on the Enchanted last March. 

The only input I could switch to was the USB which worked fine.

I wasn't using a purchased remote but the toggle at the bottom of the TV. 

Thanks for the video. We've been using that remote (and others) on many of the Princess ships. We haven't sailed Discovery (but have sailed most of the other Royal-class ships). What I found is you don't need to go to the Bridge Cam. Any of the Live TV channels work. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Switching to the HDMI input didn't work on the Enchanted last March. 

The only input I could switch to was the USB which worked fine.

I wasn't using a purchased remote but the toggle at the bottom of the TV. 

The remote worked for me on Enchanted last year. The bottom toggle no longer works on the newer ships. 

3 minutes ago, kml246 said:

The remote worked for me on Enchanted last year. The bottom toggle no longer works on the newer ships. 

Good to hear, although I'm happy with plugging in to the USB so I can use my hard drive. 

They seem to always be tweaking the system to keep us guessing. 😉

I just heard of another cruise line that has banned the use of any routers connecting to their system. 

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Rfzz38W said:

@culvercitycruiser

Thanks for the info!

Does anyone know if ANY generic LG universal remote will suffice? e.g.
I will bring along an old LG MR400 to tryand cross fingers it works.
th?id=OIP.rGJE3Ha744UTn__jVTDaSAHaIb%26pid=Api&f=1&ipt=4f1595f059f83d8c9c04aad160cbd90398e5d59c759c8ad81ef486177aed2b80&ipo=images

I can´t locate the exact model as the one linked in the video, but the following is avail on AMZ for like 5 bucks:
LG Universal Remote

I have two remotes I cruise with. I'm not always on Princess. This is the LG specific remote I use for Princess:

Amazon.com: AKB75375604 Replaced Remote for LG Smart TV : Electronics

This universal remote works for LG, though I don't remember if I've tried it on Princess:

Amazon.com: Universal Remote Control for Samsung Sanyo LG Sony Philips Panasonic Sharp Toshiba Hitachi Vizio TCL JVC Hisence RCA Haier Seiki Insignia Magnavox Westinghouse Smart TVs-Come with Manual : Electronics

• Thanks 1

@kml246

Many Thanks! I will splurge $8 just to be certain.

Surely discussed before... but has Princess publicly stated the grounds for disabling the HDMI-IN port?? It just seems rather petty to deny use of the port.

Perhaps they plan to monitize streaming On-Demand Film/TV options??
The ¨Selections¨ as I recall were laughable and quite limited on the last voyage.
1 season of Love Boat re-runs not gonna cut it for 4 weeks.

I can imagine they probably don´t want passangers possibly damaging the connectors (although it was mentioned the USB port remains active which is encouraging).

Now, to find out if it will accept my SSD format and codecs.

https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/lg-tv-supported-video-codecs-for-connected-usb-devices--20153095976198

49 minutes ago, Rfzz38W said:

@kml246

Many Thanks! I will splurge $8 just to be certain.

Surely discussed before... but has Princess publicly stated the grounds for disabling the HDMI-IN port?? It just seems rather petty to deny use of the port.

Perhaps they plan to monitize streaming On-Demand Film/TV options??
The ¨Selections¨ as I recall were laughable and quite limited on the last voyage.
1 season of Love Boat re-runs not gonna cut it for 4 weeks.

I can imagine they probably don´t want passangers possibly damaging the connectors (although it was mentioned the USB port remains active which is encouraging).

Now, to find out if it will accept my SSD format and codecs.

https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/lg-tv-supported-video-codecs-for-connected-usb-devices--20153095976198

You're welcome. Hope it works.

I don't recall specifics, but I did have problems with trying to play a USB drive on board. My solution is the Roku Ultra. It's the only Roku that has a USB port capable of handling a storage device, and the Roku has a Media Player app that handled the decoding. I primarily use MP4 format and it plays fine with the Roku. The Ultra usually goes on sale for around $69 near Black Friday.

Kevin

Thought I´d share our setup which we use to access our DVD library on-the-road/sea:

1. RaspberryPi 4 w/ 4TB SSD running WiFi HotSpot and serving...

2. Emby and streaming to...

3. Roku/Fire streaming sticks + tablets and laptops

It has worked like a charm for our family for years easily handels multi-user simultaneous streaming pretty much any video format we throw at it. The Emby server is free, just the time to setup on the Raspi and convert our DVD collection.

Princess disabled the menu selector on the TV but will try with a universal remote to change the input or fallback to USB if all else fails.

-Jim

I use a Plex server which can be used remotely as long as I have internet access. The Roku Ultra has the benefit of streaming providing the ship's internet is good enough. 

Good luck and have fun on your cruise. 

Kevin

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kml246 said:

I use a Plex server which can be used remotely as long as I have internet access. The Roku Ultra has the benefit of streaming providing the ship's internet is good enough. 

Good luck and have fun on your cruise. 

Kevin

Ditto, I have the duplicate server running athome but my tests using onboard internet on our last cruise was far too slow to stream not to mention a 6 day outage during the atlantic crossing. Wondering if this will still be a factor again this year. Princess did refund the amount without explaining technically what occured. Not inclined to fork out $390 for barely usable internet this time around.

In a similar vein, I am curious too see how stable local mobile data 4/5G network and throughput is (not the ship´s)  will be while we are docked in EU ports.  

Thanks again for the tips!