Queen Mary 2 - Wine List at 11th June 2022

D&N

Posted (edited)

Shame the Gusbourne sparkling isn't covered anymore, but overall seems like the list of by the glass options has grown since I was last onboard. 

Edited by sucramdi
for clarity

Just to note, there were no Burgundy whites by the bottle on Queen Anne in May.  Maybe not stocked yet but might be worth bringing your own if you care. 

On 6/18/2024 at 4:53 PM, D&N said:

Just found a newer wine list, claiming to be from March 2024.

Some prices of wine by the glass have been increased taking them out of scope of drinks package.

https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/my-voyage/pdfs/Wine-List-QE-QV-QA-Mar24_V2.pdf

I was shown a pared-down version of this wine list on the Queen Mary 2.  I am not sure why.  Perhaps it helps to speed the decision process along or perhaps I was just oblivious.  (Probably oblivious.)

After I explained my likes, the Sommelier recommended the Private Label Red and gave me a taste.  I found it to be a bit too young, but not awful.

I then requested the Bakestone Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon but they didn’t have any.

I let him choose the La Grola from Venetto, Italy.  It was oaky and distinctly Italian.  I didn’t mind it but wasn’t enamoured.

The next bottle he chose was the Nuits-St-Georges Les Hauts Poiret (France… obviously).  The first night I was undecided and was adjusting to the nuances.  The second night it had mellowed out and was smoother.  It was nice (on the 2nd night) but I wouldn’t be ordering it again.

The third bottle was a particularly poor choice on his part.  It was the Cannonball Merlot from California.  I did not like it.  Period.  They can use the rest for tasting glasses for other guests.

I believe the final bottle was The Chocolate Block from South Africa.  He really really wanted me to try a wine from South Africa so I obliged.  But now that I think about it, it could have been the Meerlust Merlot.  Whichever one it was, it was not bad.  For some reason I have a memory block on those last two nights. 😂

In the end, I don’t think he fully understood my palate.  But that’s okay because I tried some new wines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Cannonball Merlot from California

Where from California? So many variations and climates affect that wine. Plus, many find oaky CA wines off-putting. In a different note, I asked the bartender in Vancouver this evening if I can smell the different Rye’s he offered and made my choice from the aroma. Smelling worked!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NE John said:

Where from California? So many variations and climates affect that wine. Plus, many find oaky CA wines off-putting. In a different note, I asked the bartender in Vancouver this evening if I can smell the different Rye’s he offered and made my choice from the aroma. Smelling worked!

It didn’t have a region of origin so I am guessing that there wasn’t enough of a predominant region in order to label it as such.  I actually love (some) CA wines.  Sterling had a 2016 Cab which was amazingly underpriced for the quality.  My daughter and I bought up as much as we could before they ran out.  😂

Which rye did you choose?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

It didn’t have a region of origin so I am guessing that there wasn’t enough of a predominant region in order to label it as such.  I actually love (some) CA wines.  Sterling had a 2016 Cab which was amazingly underpriced for the quality.  My daughter and I bought up as much as we could before they ran out.  😂

Which rye did you choose?

I should have taken a picture of the bottle. A local Canadian one. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NE John said:

They have offices in Healdsburg in Sonoma County, but the wine is labeled as “California,” meaning the grapes are grown somewhere in the state but not within a specific AVA. 

A UK wine site lists Cannonball Merlot: "This wine is a blend of 85% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 5% Syrah, and is a product of the rich soil and abundant sunshine of California's North Coast."

Vivino lists 2014 & 2015 amongst it's best years with tastes running: Oak, Black Fruit. Red Fruit.

I generally prefer those with more coffee/carmel tones instead of red fruit, at least for meals.

I note that the filename contains "QE-QV-QA".

I doubt if it would make any difference to wines by the glass, but perhaps the QM2 version might contain a bit more choice in bottles. However I can't find an up to date version.

QM2 previously had a Pauillac that we enjoyed that is not on that list. It was a bit cheaper than those shown as well.