Queen Mary 2 - Wine List at 11th June 2022

D&N

I thought I had an up to date menu from the chart room but I was mistaken and have now to post something as I can't delete it

Edited by rakkor

29 minutes ago, rakkor said:

I thought I had an up to date menu from the chart room but I was mistaken and have now to post something as I can't delete it

Thank you for trying!  My mad calculations are that I’ll treat the 20% discount to bottles as the equivalent of a drink for each of us that night. Then 2 more alcoholic drinks and we’ll be “even”.  (I would have gotten refreshment anyway as we drink several lattes, Virgin Bloody Marys, and bottles of sparking water). 

and really I don’t need to be even. I’ll pay something extra for the package just for the psychic ease with which I’ll abandon a drink I’m not loving.  

1 hour ago, rakkor said:

38 minutes ago, renji said:

Thank you for trying!  My mad calculations are that I’ll treat the 20% discount to bottles as the equivalent of a drink for each of us that night. Then 2 more alcoholic drinks and we’ll be “even”.  (I would have gotten refreshment anyway as we drink several lattes, Virgin Bloody Marys, and bottles of sparking water). 

and really I don’t need to be even. I’ll pay something extra for the package just for the psychic ease with which I’ll abandon a drink I’m not loving.  

This might be the Chart Room menu rakkor was looking for. I found it a few weeks ago. It claims to be May 2023.

It doesn't list the Cunard own label wines, which are fine for refreshments. I don't know if the Chart Room stocks them.  We'll drink the white and rose over an evening of dancing, alternated with gulps of still water. We drink lots of similar wine in France (mainly red) on a daily basis poured from boxes. The Pinot Grigio and Sancerre were ok as well.

For dinner we're looking for decent Burgundy Chardonnay or Bordeaux reds and you probably need to be looking at between $60 and $90 for them. We had a Paulliac over two nights that was delicious.

2022-06-0719-53-30212.thumb.jpg.722957643f3419ead73c2d33e5794bb7.jpg

qm_chart_room_menu_may_23.pdf

14 minutes ago, D&N said:

This might be the Chart Room menu rakkor was looking for. I found it a few weeks ago. It claims to be May 2023.

It doesn't list the Cunard own label wines, which are fine for refreshments. I don't know if the Chart Room stocks them.  We'll drink the white and rose over an evening of dancing, alternated with gulps of still water. We drink lots of similar wine in France (mainly red) on a daily basis poured from boxes. The Pinot Grigio and Sancerre were ok as well.

For dinner we're looking for decent Burgundy Chardonnay or Bordeaux reds and you probably need to be looking at between $60 and $90 for them. We had a Paulliac over two nights that was delicious.

2022-06-0719-53-30212.thumb.jpg.722957643f3419ead73c2d33e5794bb7.jpg

qm_chart_room_menu_may_23.pdf 188.69 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you!  My concern is that I mostly drink French white, and they seem to be raising the by the glass prices over $13.50 even on $22-30 bottles. So that Sancerre in the chart room is now at $13.40.  Given that they raised the basic Chablis in the Commodore Club over $15 just to keep it off the package, I have to wonder what they’ll do here.  So expect I’ll just be having cocktails outside the dining rooms.

6 minutes ago, renji said:

Thank you!  My concern is that I mostly drink French white, and they seem to be raising the by the glass prices over $13.50 even on $22-30 bottles. So that Sancerre in the chart room is now at $13.40.  Given that they raised the basic Chablis in the Commodore Club over $15 just to keep it off the package, I have to wonder what they’ll do here.  So expect I’ll just be having cocktails outside the dining rooms.

Given where we live, we normally only drink French wine. Although there is a local deli with an eat in facility that serves Basque cured meats and cheeses and does have a nice Rioja. And we'll consider a few Italian wines, although I'm only confident in my knowledge of a few of them. That might change in May when we visit Rome for several days. The other couple we're meeting there are looking forward to visiting all the old relics, and I just want the food and wine! 🙂

I would only drink New World wines in exceptional circumstances.

The Sancerre was just within the package when the limit was $12. I don't think they are likely to price it above the package. We'd be very happy if the Chablis was included.

1 hour ago, D&N said:

Given where we live, we normally only drink French wine. Although there is a local deli with an eat in facility that serves Basque cured meats and cheeses and does have a nice Rioja. And we'll consider a few Italian wines, although I'm only confident in my knowledge of a few of them. That might change in May when we visit Rome for several days. The other couple we're meeting there are looking forward to visiting all the old relics, and I just want the food and wine! 🙂

I would only drink New World wines in exceptional circumstances.

The Sancerre was just within the package when the limit was $12. I don't think they are likely to price it above the package. We'd be very happy if the Chablis was included.

I love Italian reds, especially Amarone, Tignanello and Bolgheri Superiore but they are so pricy.  If you find an Argentiera it is the best value for money of the high ends.  But French seems to have better moderately priced wines.   

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone post a more recent version of a bar list, please? I'd be interested whether the Sancerre is still within the package price. There was also a drinkable Rioja within the package 12 months ago. I notice that certain cocktails have increased in price over the course of last year and wonder if they've increased again recently.

When I was last on board (February, 2023) I was interested to try the English sparkling wine but there was none on board. Does anyone know if they currently have this available on Queen Elizabeth?

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Can anyone post a more recent version of a bar list, please? I'd be interested whether the Sancerre is still within the package price. There was also a drinkable Rioja within the package 12 months ago. I notice that certain cocktails have increased in price over the course of last year and wonder if they've increased again recently.

When I was last on board (February, 2023) I was interested to try the English sparkling wine but there was none on board. Does anyone know if they currently have this available on Queen Elizabeth?

Here's the Chart Room menu from October 23 Page 31 0nwards are the Fizz and Whites not a massive selection though - A small Sancerre is $11.70

Chart Room Menu.pdf

Edited by rakkor
  • Thanks 1

@rakkor

I think they have been updated.

There is a Chart Room menu somewhere with 25ml & 50ml measures for spirits, and I saw a Commodore Club on YouTube with 175ml small wines.

Unless the measures are currently varying between ships!

The Sancerre in 175ml was $13.40. They normally keep that within the limit. unlike Chablis. Chianti & Rioja.

9 hours ago, rakkor said:

Here's the Chart Room menu from October 23 Page 31 0nwards are the Fizz and Whites not a massive selection though - A small Sancerre is $11.70

Chart Room Menu.pdf 2.46 MB · 7 downloads

9 hours ago, rakkor said:

And the Commodore Club from April 23 Page 17 for the wines

Commodore _Club.pdf 3.28 MB · 3 downloads

Thanks very much for those rakkor. Interesting to see the Rioja still within the package despite the comment by @D&N above.

48 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Thanks very much for those rakkor. Interesting to see the Rioja still within the package despite the comment by @D&N above.

It’s an old menu from April almost a year ago—the Chablis was at $13.50 and also within the package.  I’ve seen menus where they upped the pricing. 

14 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Sadly I think you will be disappointed.

Any menu that shows wine in 150ml small glasses or spirits in 1oz (29.574ml) or 2oz (59.147ml) measures is out of date.

Cunard now serve most small glasses of wine in 175ml and spirits in 25ml & 50ml measures.

It clearly tells you that in the current terms and conditions for the drinks package: https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/my-cunard-tcs

The most recent prices for wines that I would like to see included in the package are: Chablis $15.40, Whispering Angel Rosé $15.40, Rioja $14.40, Chianti $14.20.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, D&N said:

Any menu that shows wine in 150ml small glasses or spirits in 1oz (29.574ml) or 2oz (59.147ml) measures is out of date.

Cunard now serve most small glasses of wine in 175ml and spirits in 25ml & 50ml measures.

It clearly tells you that in the current terms and conditions for the drinks package: https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/my-cunard-tcs

The most recent prices for wines that I would like to see included in the package are: Chablis $15.40, Whispering Angel Rosé $15.40, Rioja $14.40, Chianti $14.20.

It’s especially ridiculous since those are not even pricey bottles. Do you know what bottle dollar amount the 20% discount applies to now?  

33 minutes ago, renji said:

It’s especially ridiculous since those are not even pricey bottles. Do you know what bottle dollar amount the 20% discount applies to now?  

Sorry I don't. They haven't specified anything other than "some bottles of wine" in all the versions of T&Cs I've seen. I have read elsewhere, unconfirmed, that the limit was $150. That was from a blog making reference to an interview around January 2023.

16 hours ago, renji said:

The 20% discount is almost worthless as they add the 15% gratuity on to the list price so it ends up being roughly 5% discount depending when they calculate the pluses and the minuses.

16 hours ago, D&N said:

Well, I will be very disappointed if the Rioja which was previously within the $13.50 limit is the one which is now $14.40. I was relying on that as my red of choice. I'm still contemplating whether I'll bother with the drinks package for the first leg of my imminent trip.

35 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

The 20% discount is almost worthless as they add the 15% gratuity on to the list price so it ends up being roughly 5% discount depending when they calculate the pluses and the minuses.

That’s a great point. I’m so used to Royal Caribbean where they only charge the excess…and it’s 40% on bottles under $100.   Maybe I cancel the package until I see the wine list.  

4 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Well, I will be very disappointed if the Rioja which was previously within the $13.50 limit is the one which is now $14.40. I was relying on that as my red of choice. I'm still contemplating whether I'll bother with the drinks package for the first leg of my imminent trip.

4 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

The Rioja hasn't been priced within the drinks package since at least 2018.

I first looked in 2018 when booking for 2020 and limit was $11 per drink, Rioja was $11.95.

By the time we got to sail in 2022, limit was $12, Rioja was $12.20.

I don't have a copy of list when limit increased to $13, but I think that's when Rioja increased to $13.50.

There was a recent YouTube video where a lady scanned all the pages of various menus and the Rioja was clearly $14.40. I took screenshots at time but think I deleted them.

Unless you plan to lobby Cunard to reduce the price you are going to be very disappointed. If you try and succeed I'm sure you'd make lots of folk happy.

It is quite silly of them anyway. The Sancerre was always just within limit, and it's bottle price at one point was only $3 less than Rioja.

The 20% isn't worthless to us because we will be buying several bottles at around $80 whether on the package or not, so we would pay $92 for the bottle anyway and would save $18.40 each time if we have the package.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, D&N said:

The Rioja hasn't been priced within the drinks package since at least 2018.

I first looked in 2018 when booking for 2020 and limit was $11 per drink, Rioja was $11.95.

By the time we got to sail in 2022, limit was $12, Rioja was $12.20.

I don't have a copy of list when limit increased to $13, but I think that's when Rioja increased to $13.50.

There was a recent YouTube video where a lady scanned all the pages of various menus and the Rioja was clearly $14.40. I took screenshots at time but think I deleted them.

Unless you plan to lobby Cunard to reduce the price you are going to be very disappointed. If you try and succeed I'm sure you'd make lots of folk happy.

It is quite silly of them anyway. The Sancerre was always just within limit, and it's bottle price at one point was only $3 less than Rioja.

The 20% isn't worthless to us because we will be buying several bottles at around $80 whether on the package or not, so we would pay $92 for the bottle anyway and would save $18.40 each time if we have the package.

Thanks for your input.

I sailed on Queen Elizabeth in February, 2023 at which time the list price of the Rioja was $12.20 (I made a note of it as I was interested in how useful the package would be) and the drinks limit was $13.50 so it was definitely inside the limit, as was a Sancerre ($11.70) and a very nice Chilean Sauvignon blanc.

Edited by LittleFish1976
  • Like 2