Avalon Blue Danube Discovery cruise - any questions?

Queen of my Heart

We'll be on the Danube Dreams cruise embarking in Budapest (ending in Vilshoven) on 2 May 2024.  Does anyone know what is the earliest we can check-in?  Actually, we don't need to be in our cabins, but we'd like to leave our luggage on board once we arrive in Budapest by train at 0900.  We plan to see the city with friends for the day and to be back on the ship by 1700.

If we aren't able to leave our luggage on board in the morning, I guess our other option is to leave our luggage in storage lockers at the train station. 

10 hours ago, HeyJude408 said:

We'll be on the Danube Dreams cruise embarking in Budapest (ending in Vilshoven) on 2 May 2024.  Does anyone know what is the earliest we can check-in?  Actually, we don't need to be in our cabins, but we'd like to leave our luggage on board once we arrive in Budapest by train at 0900.  We plan to see the city with friends for the day and to be back on the ship by 1700.

If we aren't able to leave our luggage on board in the morning, I guess our other option is to leave our luggage in storage lockers at the train station. 

Hi. I think that my comments would apply to most river cruises with avalon and not just this one. 9am is the time by which previous passengers need to have left their cabins so staff will be hard at work getting them ready for the next cruise, so I would not expect to be able to access them until late morning at the earliest. You might be able to leave luggage in the reception but it's possible that it will be sharing space with that of the departing passengers and that will depend on their flight/train/onward journey times. Somewhere in your paperwork you should have a phone number for your ship so it's worth giving them a call to ask what arrangements could be made for your luggage if you were to leave it  between, say, 9 and 10. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

We did this in August, however we never made it to Nuremberg due to low water levels.  I am not sure where the ship docks, but I don't believe it's in town. Doing a quick google search, it looks like about 17 minutes from the train station to the dock. When we did our Rhine cruise we had the CD call a cab for us when they were doing the departure arrangements the night before, as we were taking a train back to Amsterdam. I'm sure they will do the same for you.