When does SS collect the upfare for business class flights?

CazualCruzer

Hi All.- booked our first SS cruise for October on the Dawn, out of Venice.  Very excited to spend our 20th anniversary on such a beautiful ship.

When I booked (via a travel agent), I opted for the upgraded airfare, from coach to business.  At this point, the cruise is booked and paid for, with the exception of the charge for the air upgrade. Wondering when SS typically comes looking for their $$$ for these upgrades?  I’m somewhat surprised they haven’t done so already, but being a newbie, perhaps it’s just me!

Incidentally, the routing they gave me on the return was horrible. Three legs from Venice to Pittsburgh, when there are plenty of one-stop itineraries available.  Not the ideal way to end the trip, but it is what it is!

7 hours ago, CazualCruzer said:

When I booked (via a travel agent), I opted for the upgraded airfare, from coach to business.  At this point, the cruise is booked and paid for, with the exception of the charge for the air upgrade. Wondering when SS typically comes looking for their $$$ for these upgrades?

Does your booking invoice state you purchased the business class upgrade?  The reason I ask is because SS typically collects the upgrade fee as part of their initial booking deposit.  Since you weren’t charged I have a feeling your travel agent didn’t handle your booking properly and therefore you will be seated in economy class.

6 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Does your booking invoice state you purchased the business class upgrade?  The reason I ask is because SS typically collects the upgrade fee as part of their initial booking deposit.  Since you weren’t charged I have a feeling your travel agent didn’t handle your booking properly and therefore you will be seated in economy class.

I was thinking the exact same thing......whenever I have booked the upgrade for BC, that upgraded price has always shown up on the initial deposit/invoice.

• Thanks 1

The invoice doesn’t note anything about the business class upgrade.  However, when my TA inquired about flights, the SS agent showed us booked in business class on both the outbound and return.  When I first booked the cruise, it was outside the 330 day window where schedules become available for booking the air component.

Edited by CazualCruzer

6 hours ago, CazualCruzer said:

The invoice doesn’t note anything about the business class upgrade.  However, when my TA inquired about flights, the SS agent showed us booked in business class on both the outbound and return.  When I first booked the cruise, it was outside the 330 day window where schedules become available for booking the air component.

What airline did the SS agent show you booked on and what were the seats?  

The fact you don’t have a line item for the business class upgrade on your invoice tells me someone is misinformed and you aren’t actually booked in business class.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CazualCruzer said:

Do you have seat assignments? This seems very odd.

• Like 1

As stated in several posts above I would suggest that you contact your TA because although we don’t have the same experience with ss as many other posters on here ….when we cleared wait-list for our May/June cruise we paid the entire amount including the business up-grade which was list as a separate line item.  Because the hotels for D2D were not named we waited and paid them subsequently after we booked. New invoices were issued by ss with hotels listed as separate line items.  Everything was listed clearly on the invoices.   

Edited by Cancun01

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2022 at 12:34 AM, CazualCruzer said:

Hi All.- booked our first SS cruise for October on the Dawn, out of Venice.  Very excited to spend our 20th anniversary on such a beautiful ship.

When I booked (via a travel agent), I opted for the upgraded airfare, from coach to business.  At this point, the cruise is booked and paid for, with the exception of the charge for the air upgrade. Wondering when SS typically comes looking for their $$$ for these upgrades?  I’m somewhat surprised they haven’t done so already, but being a newbie, perhaps it’s just me!

Incidentally, the routing they gave me on the return was horrible. Three legs from Venice to Pittsburgh, when there are plenty of one-stop itineraries available.  Not the ideal way to end the trip, but it is what it is!

Have you considered buying plane tickets separately? 
I see that you wrote that you were not charged for business class, maybe in this case it is better to choose the best flight for you yourself? I have a lot of experience flying to Italy (for work and leisure), did a lot of business class flights to Naples. This company has always chosen for me the best deals with the best comfort. It was always at the highest level! They also have their own travel agent who can help with your requests. I hope this information will be helpful to you.