Back to back on different ships

bustopher123

Has anyone recently done two cruises back to back on different ships? I am looking at booking emerald for a cruise in the summer. Disembarkation from emerald will be our embarkation day for sky. Both in Southampton. Should we book or is it too risky with COVID? How will testing work between emerald and sky?

1 hour ago, bustopher123 said:

Has anyone recently done two cruises back to back on different ships? I am looking at booking emerald for a cruise in the summer. Disembarkation from emerald will be our embarkation day for sky. Both in Southampton. Should we book or is it too risky with COVID? How will testing work between emerald and sky?

This is called a S2S or side to side, since it’s a different ship. 
They have been testing a day or two before your disembark day OB. IF they are not able to test on the first ship, for some reason…

then you go to the pier for the 2nd ship and tell them you need tested, just off the Emerald and the Sky should test you at the pier.  This should be complimentary.

Hopefully, someone in the UK may have experienced this recently.  Many changes going on.  

However, true B2b’s are not being tested

unless they are transoceanic, Panama canal transit or over 10 days for the b2b cruise.  So, I don’t know currently if they are treating a S2S any differently.

The risk?  If you are positive when you

get off the first one…then you’re be denied on the 2nd one.

We’ve been booking b2b’s (same ship) just for that reason… less stress.

Good luck to you.  

31 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

This is called a S2S or side to side, since it’s a different ship. 
They have been testing a day or two before your disembark day OB. IF they are not able to test on the first ship, for some reason…

then you go to the pier for the 2nd ship and tell them you need tested, just off the Emerald and the Sky should test you at the pier.  This should be complimentary.

Hopefully, someone in the UK may have experienced this recently.  Many changes going on.  

However, true B2b’s are not being tested

unless they are transoceanic, Panama canal transit or over 10 days for the b2b cruise.  So, I don’t know currently if they are treating a S2S any differently.

The risk?  If you are positive when you

get off the first one…then you’re be denied on the 2nd one.

We’ve been booking b2b’s (same ship) just for that reason… less stress.

Good luck to you.  

Thanks for this information. Very helpful. I guess that the cruise with confidence policy would mean that we don't lose money if we do get COVID on the first cruise. Therefore, it looks like a risk worth taking. 

14 minutes ago, bustopher123 said:

Thanks for this information. Very helpful. I guess that the cruise with confidence policy would mean that we don't lose money if we do get COVID on the first cruise. Therefore, it looks like a risk worth taking. 

Yes, correct.  Things can change quickly. so check the PCL website at the top, health protocols. Sailing from the UK, before you sail, Q and A, b2b for changes. Last update June 16.

We were extra careful on our 1st b2b as we were nervous about testing + 

on the next one!  😂  We were lucky!

Also, forgot…..on the Emerald make sure to tell guest services that you are doing a Sky immediately following the Emerald cruise and that you need a covid test OB the Emerald.  Or, call Medical. 

Have fun!

Is it still considered a side to side if there is one day in between?  We are departing Emerald Princess on Aug 25, and board Enchanted on Aug 26.  We currently have tests at Lloyd's Pharmacy booked, but if we can take care of the test while on board the Emerald, and for free, we would prefer to do that,

2 hours ago, High C's said:

Is it still considered a side to side if there is one day in between?  We are departing Emerald Princess on Aug 25, and board Enchanted on Aug 26.  We currently have tests at Lloyd's Pharmacy booked, but if we can take care of the test while on board the Emerald, and for free, we would prefer to do that,

I would hold onto your Lloyd’s tests that you have reserved, because things in 2 months could be very different.  
With a 1 day, it’s possible Emerald would do the test for you.  You will have to ask when OB.

Too far ahead to know what the rules will be.  But you are smart to have a backup.  We travel with the proctored covid tests, just in case we need them, our backup.  

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

I would hold onto your Lloyd’s tests that you have reserved, because things in 2 months could be very different.  
With a 1 day, it’s possible Emerald would do the test for you.  You will have to ask when OB.

Too far ahead to know what the rules will be.  But you are smart to have a backup.  We travel with the proctored covid tests, just in case we need them, our backup.  

We are definitely not cancelling our Lloyd's tests!  We actually have them booked twice, as we sail over on the QM2 and have one overnight before we board the Emerald.  

I keep crossing my fingers (and toes) that the CDC does away with testing for fully vaccinated (and boosted) people.  We shall see! 🙂

We have done same day changeover 4 times.

One got scary, ship late after a TA and massive backup with US immigration at Fort Lauderdale still needing a transfer to Miami to get the next one.

The biggest risk is your first ship is late and second on time.

Look at the Sky yesterday into Southampton good chance if swapping to any of the other ship leaving that day you could have missed it.