Want to feel good about your final payment (if you booked a 2022 cruise in 2020)? Reprice your cruise now!

WorkerBee74

YMMV of course, but I just about died of glee when I did this yesterday.

In December of 2020 we booked a cruise for October of this year - a 9 night on Celebrity Infinity to Spain/Portugal.

Our total cost for the Always Included in an Oceanview Cabin was $5086 (Canadian).

Fast forward to January of this year when they up and decided to move the ship to the Caribbean and cancelled our cruise....

We were offered a lift/shift to Celebrity Edge - a 10 night itinerary to Italy/France for the same price.

I did a mock booking for the same cruise, same cabin class last night...

It is....

$8800 Canadian now 😲

Man, it's sure going to make that final pyment in a couple of week SO sweet!!

Here is my mileage:

In Jan 20, 2019 I booked a 14 night Christmas 2020 Millennium cruise (Hong Kong to Singapore) for my family of 4 in an FV cabin.

Since then we have undergone 3 Lift and Shifts which included transferring to Solstice and being moved out of a single FV cabin to 2 connecting balcony cabins on the hump.  We also took advantage of a couple of promotions along the way which allowed my wife and I to pick up the Always Included package.

During the 2nd Lift and Shift our sailing was reduced from 14 nights to 11 nights and Celebrity pro-rated our old cruise fare to make up for it.  However during the 3rd (and most recent) Lift and Shift, our cruise increased to a 12 night sailing and Celebrity did not increase our cruise fare.  

As of right now, we are paying $6,905 total for the two cabins for our Dec 22, 2023 12 night Solstice cruise.  If you try to book the same two balcony cabins tonight on Celebrity's website, they currently cost $16,854.16 for both.

Here is a a link to a spreadsheet that shows the price breakdown and details for each change in cruise fare/taxes: link

Here is a a screenshot (click on it to make it more readable):

image.thumb.png.8d9f86e4e627e5d80cfa18398f88f69a.png

While the savings mathematics is very impressive, I really just wished that we could have gone on the original 14 night Millennium cruise (Christmas 2020).  Also, I doubt that I would have spent $17,000 (today's prices) for the Christmas 2023 Solstice cruise so all this bragging is just theoretical--but it makes for an interesting Cruise Critic story. 

Also the other damage that has been done is the passage of time.  Our adult kids will be 3 years older and they now have "significant others" that compete for their vacation time.  A free cruise from mom and dad does not hold the allure that it once did and there is a 50/50 chance that our kids may not be coming on this one.  We will see.

• Like 1

In January 2019 we booked 2 veranda cabins to Alaska for July 2020. When the shutdown happened I repriced both cabins. Concierge was cheaper and I saved about $2500 on each cabin with premium drinks, premium WiFi, tips and $600 OBC. Did lift and shift on them twice and we finally sail next month 🤞🏻…….I will never see those prices again, especially with all perks and OBC

Wow @mahdnc - that's one heck of a price difference!  We were lucky in that we were able to go in the same timeframe and our cancellation was due to a ship move and not a direct COVID cancellation.  Hopefully it will work out for you and your children's SOs will understand 🙂

Like @Purplsmurf said, I doubt we'll see these international cruise prices again for what they were selling for at the time - we got a steal on a cruise on Mardi Gras due to two COVID cancellations including a transpacific from Hawaii to Vancouver that was cancelled in April 2020.  I REALLY wanted that itinerary, but being able to cruise the newest ship was worth it - we had the most incredible aft balcony and I never would have paid to go in the inaugural season of a ship otherwise.

We originally booked a 7-night Reflection Caribbean for January 3, 2020, 1A verandah for $1759 p/p while we were onboard the Summit in April of 2019 (later went down to $1014 p/p. Due to family issues, we moved that deposit to an August 8, 2020 Reflection Caribbean 1A for $1309 p/p. In March 2020, we moved the deposit to a 14-night TA on Constellation sailing from Rome October 31, 2020 for $2534 p/p in AQ (included internet, classic drinks pkg, and grats). That cruise was canceled and we L&S to 15-day Constellation departing Rome October 23, 2021, AQ for $2544 p/p (with 4 perks). That was canceled and we then L&S to 15-night Reflection TA departing Rome October 22, 2021 for $2544 p/p, keeping all the perks.  That was canceled, and we L&S to Reflection 13-day TA departing Barcelona October 31, 2022 at a cost pf $1966.46 p/p ($2067 including taxes, fees, & port charges), with same perks included plus additional OBC from TA. Currently, AQ is $2966 p/p with Always Included (which is still not a bad price).