Travel Insurance for Cruise Changes

DoubleSix

Anyone have any travel insurance company recommendations that covers Cruise ship port changes for "operational reasons"?  Specifically, I'm looking for insurance that will cover me for the cost of flight changes if the cruise line changes port of embarkation or disembarkation, or if they keep the same ports but change the dates of embarkation/disembarkation.

So far the only one I have found is Travel Guard. If I buy their Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption package, I can add on a Cruise Tour / Operator option for an extra $10. Just wondering if there are any other options out there.

Background: I booked a cruise for April 2023 with MSC. The cruise was originally supposed to leave Jeddah on April 15th, but they moved the date of embarkation to April 12th. Fortunately, I did not already book my flight, but it made me think about buying travel insurance for when I do eventually book the flight, as I'm not confident they won't change it again 😄

23 hours ago, DoubleSix said:

So far the only one I have found is Travel Guard. If I buy their Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption package, I can add on a Cruise Tour / Operator option for an extra $10. Just wondering if there are any other options out there.

I took a look at this coverage as it sounded interesting. However from what I can see it only covers the cost of the change fee charged by the airline to re-book your flight or $1,000 towards another flight. Or am I mis-reading this?

You are probably better off buying a cancelable/refundable flight or at least a flight that allows changes. That is what we normally do. Had to change our flights twice because of Covid rules and there was no charge by the airline. 

• Like 3