OT - Is this an endorsement? (cosmetics)

Jane110

HI all,

Just a silly little side topic that I thought we might share some opinions about.....

I opened up an email advertisement from Sephora this morning and they were touting some products that they'd like me (us) to buy. The heading was called "Trends - Goody Bags". These products - which included a mascara, a hair dryer, an eyebrow kit and a few other things, were featured as great products because they were included in a goody bag that's given out to celebrity's at the Academy Awards.

Maybe because I'm in the fashion industry and I "know too much", I just don't get the connection. If something is included inside a goody bag, does it "talk to you" and make you think it must be a good product? Do you think that products are "screened" so that only the best goes in, therefore giving consumer's a confidence about the product and influencing them to buy?

What do you think?

Jane

I could care less what any celebrity is wearing unless I think, "hey that's cute on Oprah, maybe it would be cute on me?" (Our bodies are similar). If I had weekly facials and expensive treatments then maybe it would translate to my life more but unless I win the lottery tonight it's not in the cards for me : )

BTW if I won the lottery I would be booking cruises every third week.

From a marketing perspective, the message is that "only the best" would be given away to the almightly celebrities -- so it must be top shelf stuff. I'd be surprised to see a Conair blow dryer from Walmart in the bag. I'm not starstruck in the least and would be as happy to have a recommendation from the folks here as from someone "famous". But I believe the message is meant that if it's good enough for them, it's a must for all of us if we want to look as dazzling.

I think that they're paying a hefty price tag to get those items inserted into the "goody bags". I think many would assume that high price anything equals high quality, but I don't necessarily think the two are connected.

Like others who've posted, I couldn't care less what the stars are using to dry their hair or which mascara they get for free. I want to pick something based on what it will do for ME. This marketing gimmick would not work on me, but I can certainly imagine there are many out there who would like knowing they are using the same product as the celeb of the moment.

Hmmmm...

I would assume that the companies who have products in the goody bags either pay to have their stuff in there or are hoping to get people with too much money to buy their stuff. A product just being in an award show goody bag would not be enough to make me want that product.

I too work in the "fashion industry." I agree with what all the above posters have to say. I compare the Oscar goodie bags to comercials during the Super Bowl. Lots of women are watching, and a lot of those same women want to use the same products that celebrities do. What I find funny is talking to women who have used a product that isn't working for them. When asked why they chose that certain product the reply I hear all the time is, "(Insert female star's name here) used it and it worked for her."

I think that they're paying a hefty price tag to get those items inserted into the "goody bags".

That's correct.

I think many would assume that high price anything equals high quality, but I don't necessarily think the two are connected.

I don't think the items are necessarily high priced ones. It's more about getting the rest of "us" to buy them.

Like others who've posted, I couldn't care less what the stars are using to dry their hair or which mascara they get for free. I want to pick something based on what it will do for ME. This marketing gimmick would not work on me, but I can certainly imagine there are many out there who would like knowing they are using the same product as the celeb of the moment.

I also could care less what a celebrity is using ESPECIALLY if I know they're getting it as a freebie. I go to a few industry functions a year where I get a nice little goodie bag and unless a product is awful, I'll use it up but then not buy it for myself unless I love it.

Are there really people out there who would buy a product because a Celebrity is using it? Unless there's a personal testimonial - let's say someone with skimpy eyelashes and then some before & after photo's using the mascara - but that's a different issue IMHO.

Thanks for your input.

Are there really people out there who would buy a product because a Celebrity is using it? Unless there's a personal testimonial - let's say someone with skimpy eyelashes and then some before & after photo's using the mascara - but that's a different issue IMHO.

I believe that there are! A few months ago, I was in a Saks store in Beverly Hills. A salesperson tried to persuade me to buy a tooth whitening product as I was walking through her department (to the shoes! ;) ) by yelling at me that "Sharon Stone just bought this yesterday" after I politely declined to listen to her sales pitch. My girlfriend and I had a good giggle over that one - like that would make me change my mind and stop to buy it from her? We later heard her saying it to another shopper so it, apparently was her "line". I don't imagine she'd keep using it if it didn't work for her!

I think it was a mass email, because I also received the same message from Sephora. I am not in the biz, nor do I shop much at Sephora. They did, however, harvest my email address from a questionnaire I filled out several years ago.

--Judy

Oh was definitely a mass email. I have no problem with that. I buy from Sephora all the time. My query was pertaining to the content of their message.

What gets me to buy from them is their complete descriptions of items, the free samples they send with their purchases and the free shipping after spending a certain amount. When I only need one or two inexpensive items I go to a Sephora near me.

I would assume that the companies who have products in the goody bags either pay to have their stuff in there or are hoping to get people with too much money to buy their stuff.

Exaclty. It's just another type of commercial. Wouldn't interest me in the least just because it was in a goodie bag.

~e

I believe that there are! A few months ago, I was in a Saks store in Beverly Hills. A salesperson tried to persuade me to buy a tooth whitening product as I was walking through her department (to the shoes! ;) ) by yelling at me that "Sharon Stone just bought this yesterday" after I politely declined to listen to her sales pitch. My girlfriend and I had a good giggle over that one - like that would make me change my mind and stop to buy it from her? We later heard her saying it to another shopper so it, apparently was her "line". I don't imagine she'd keep using it if it didn't work for her!

Well, considering that Sharon Stone has gorgeous white teeth if she does use that tooth whitener, I can almost understand people buying it too. After all, she can afford the best dentist in the universe so if someone said that she bought it for herself, I can see how it might influence someone to buy it also. (and of course, the salesperson could be lying too) However, if I was told it went into her Acadamy Awards Goody Bag, why would that have any influence on me?

I certainly understand your POV, though I also see a big difference between someone buying something or getting it as a gift and using it because it's a freebie - or perhaps giving it away.

Even right here on an anonymous board we give each other recommendations on products we like and I've gotten some great tips here. Makes no difference is the person is famous or not.

Well, considering that Sharon Stone has gorgeous white teeth if she does use that tooth whitener, I can almost understand people buying it too. After all, she can afford the best dentist in the universe so if someone said that she bought it for herself, I can see how it might influence someone to buy it also. (and of course, the salesperson could be lying too) However, if I was told it went into her Acadamy Awards Goody Bag, why would that have any influence on me?

I certainly understand your POV, though I also see a big difference between someone buying something or getting it as a gift and using it because it's a freebie - or perhaps giving it away.

Even right here on an anonymous board we give each other recommendations on products we like and I've gotten some great tips here. Makes no difference is the person is famous or not.

Well - I was just answering your question...

Are there really people out there who would buy a product because a Celebrity is using it?

In my humble opinion, based on my experience, there very well might be!

And I could be dead wrong but I'd be willing to bet half of my house that Sharon's teeth are not as gorgeous as they are because of a product she bought at a department store. :D

Well - I was just answering your question...

Are there really people out there who would buy a product because a Celebrity is using it?

Understood. I didn't express myself well, sorry about that.

What I meant was:

"Are there really people out there who would buy a product because a celebrity might be using a freebie they got inside a goody bag?"

And I could be dead wrong but I'd be willing to bet half of my house that Sharon's teeth are not as gorgeous as they are because of a product she bought at a department store. :D

Some people have naturally gorgeous teeth, some don't. But even if hers (or anyone's) come from the artistry of a good dentist, if she's purchasing an at-home whitener to keep them pearly, it is a recommendation from someone with pretty teeth. It's the same thing as if I saw someone with great skin buying a face creme at a make-up counter, I might ask them what they think of that creme or what their skin regime is. Again, the "legitimacy" is them buying it, not getting a freebie.

Jane,

I think it was meant as an endorsement. Such a big deal is made of the Academy Awards and some people are so celebrity obsessed, they'll buy something just because they think a celeb is using it too. Heck, they'll support causes, form opinions on important issues and try to gain all of their knowledge from them too :rolleyes: - Good thing Tom Cruise is an expert on ADD, love and postpartum depression. Now if we could just cure him of his habit of putting his feet on the couch! Sorry, I digress.

I guess you're also supposed to believe these items were hand picked so they have to be great. Unfortunately for advertisers, not all consumers are so gullible as to buy something based on this type of advertising.

Hi,

Well Im not sure what I would call it. I would not call it an endorcement because it was in a gift goody bag as no one knows if the celebrity would really use it and personally I feel the company donates this stuff to go into the bag and or pays advertising fees to get it there. I do not consider it an endorcement of a product if it is a freebee.

I would not buy a product because someone uses it, celeb or otherwise, I would visit a celeb hairdresser, celeb doctor celeb dentist etc, because that perhaps would ensure better service, better quality, but not a product as the product may not work for me.

As for the tooth whitening thing at Saks, if it was called GoSmile, I use it. I bought it from Saks, and while I dont have the new improved one, when I use this one up I will give the new version out a try.

I personally love it as it is the simplest tooth whitening system to use and I think it works really well, but that is just me, but I did not get an endorcement on it, I got it because I saw it and wanted to try it.

I got the e-mail from Sephora as I too shop from Sephora for certain things like shampoo and my hairdryer, and they ship to canada, but I didnt even see the thing about the Oscars as I didnt read it through before deleting.

If I had to call it something, i would call it an advertising announcement but for me it would not be an endorcement in any way shape or form.

I rarely change brands of anything so I dont read any of that stuff unless it is a new product and then I would only buy it if I thought it would be of good use to me.

I dont even use the free samples unless it is from the same brand that I normally buy as I dont like to change proudcts and or brands if I like one I stick with it.

Good thing Tom Cruise is an expert on ADD, love and postpartum depression. Now if we could just cure him of his habit of putting his feet on the couch! Sorry, I digress.

LOL!!!!:D

I guess you're also supposed to believe these items were hand picked so they have to be great. Unfortunately for advertisers, not all consumers are so gullible as to buy something based on this type of advertising.

It's just unbelievable to me that they would think that anyone would think that a product is good because it was part of a free give-away in a goody bag. I guess you're right that they want the public to believe that these products were handpicked because they're so terrific. Yeah right, and the tooth fairy is going to come and pay all my dental bills! :D

I simply wanted to get the reaction of the people here because my mouth hung open when I saw the email/adverstisement. I guess they think that people are really that gullible! :confused:

I'm sort of torn on this one but here goes.

From a marketing perspective, there is a certain demographic with money who is highly influenced by celebrities and that demographic is: teenagers.

Teenagers buy $350 iPods, Razor phones, scads of expensive gadgets, they are getting cosmetic surgery, $500 mountain bikes, $100 Nikes etc. Girls are sporting Louis Vuitton, Manolos, Gucci and Prada.

Are they influenced by Paris Hilton? Yes.

Not all but enough to make a difference.

From a marketing perspective, there is a certain demographic with money who is highly influenced by celebrities and that demographic is: teenagers.

Totally agree.....(though it's not only teenagers.)

But maybe you're on to something. Perhaps it's the teenagers that think that if a celebrity gets a freebie in a goodybag, it must be a good item.

Actually, many of them don't know the difference between an editorial and an advertisement in a magazine, so perhaps I shouldn't be suprised.

Obviously their parents haven't taught them Marketing 101 yet!;)

Jane

Teenagers buy $350 iPods, Razor phones, scads of expensive gadgets, they are getting cosmetic surgery, $500 mountain bikes, $100 Nikes etc. Girls are sporting Louis Vuitton, Manolos, Gucci and Prada.

This is an excellent point. Considering this was a Sephora announcement and or advertising, I would assume they were targeting the teen market.

I think teens spend a lot of money on makeup perhaps more than adult women. I havent a clue if they are influenced by celebs, I assume they are more than adults.

I never even know what is in the gift bags unless I hear it by accident on a show like the Today show.

I never even know what is in the gift bags unless I hear it by accident on a show like the Today show.

The Acadamy Award gift bag is now so over the top that the celebs go to a tent a few days before the event so they can pre-select things in their color and size. Manolo Blahnik shoes, designer sunglasses, fashion accessories as well as an assortment of the lastest hi-tech toys such as Ipods. From there, it goes onto to cosmetics, perfumes, DVD's and even small kitchen appliances like the latest cappuccino machine.

The Acadamy Award gift bag is now so over the top that the celebs go to a tent a few days before the event so they can pre-select things in their color and size. Manolo Blahnik shoes, designer sunglasses, fashion accessories as well as an assortment of the lastest hi-tech toys such as Ipods. From there, it goes onto to cosmetics, perfumes, DVD's and even small kitchen appliances like the latest cappuccino machine.

Oh my, that is over the top, I head one year, (not this year) and probably the only year I heard about it was that it was worth something like $50,000 that year or maybe it was more. That is the first time I head that they get a gift bag, before that I didnt even know they got anything.

Is this their pay for doing it? Does it go to all attendees or just the presenters? The time I heard it was on the Today show and they were saying that was what the presenters got but thats all I remember, is that their pay for the night?

Is this their pay for doing it? Does it go to all attendees or just the presenters? The time I heard it was on the Today show and they were saying that was what the presenters got but thats all I remember, is that their pay for the night?

I'm sure all the attendee's get something. But the bigger the star the bigger the bag, ie. nominee's and presenter's get the biggest. Someone simply sitting in the audience probably "only" gets a few thousand dollars worth of stuff, like expensive watches, pens, perfumes, silk scarves, etc.

The comedian Cathy Griffin had a reality show last year and she used to be one of the fashion commenters/interviewers of the red carpet. On her series it showed her going to get a free custom made gown and then showing up at the pre-event tents to get her goodies (she brought along her husband and her two co-writers and insisted they get bags too). The next day, her parents visited her home and she divided up all the stuff and gave alot of it away to them and her her assistant.

It's not just the teens, it's the tweens too. But who's footing the bill? That would be mom and dad who work hard to keep Janey and Jonny up with the Jones' too.

I've been in conversations with parents at the holidays who will ask me "what is your kids BIG gift"? We had a boy over today who took, out of his backpack, an Ipod Nano and a special case with a speaker set up- he's 10 and is carrying around $350 worth of stereo equipment at school!

Mom and Dad are as fickle to celebrity trends as the kiddo's are.

Archived