Tips for a Solo Cruiser

ishap

On 7/31/2022 at 10:57 PM, Joanne G. said:

I do have concerns on my upcoming cruise about mealtimes.  I am still wary of covid, and crowded restaurants make me nervous.   On my vacation, I mostly ate outside or in my hotel room, and I only ate in restaurants when not crowded, such as early morning breakfasts or mid-afternoon late lunches.   With the number of fellow passengers on a cruise and specific dining times, I doubt there will ever be a time when the dining rooms, including the buffet, aren't full of people. 

There are a lot of times when the buffet area is quieter. not sure about the restaurants,  so you could always try for those times so that you know you will get a seat and also not too many people around.

@ozpom51, thanks for the tips and the encouragement.  I had to cancel the upcoming cruise I mentioned in my post last July, because I got covid 😷.   My upcoming cruises this year are in July and September.  After one more booster and a case of covid (mild), I am a little less worried than I was last year.  But not unworried, so I will still be trying to keep my distance from others where possible.

It isn’t as difficult to keep your distance as you might think. I took two solo cruises last year. A transatlantic on Emerald Princess and Spain/Portugal itinerary on Carnival Pride. With a visit to friends in between. In the evenings the buffets were not at all crowded. Since the weather was beautiful, I normally sat outside and enjoyed the view. The few times I ate in the dining room, the staff was very accommodating when I requested a solo table away from others.

The daily lectures and main shows were another story. They were packed. I gave up after a couple of attempts on Princess. For trivia and the “game shows” one could find an area away from others. I didn’t feel as though I missed out on anything since the entertainment options offered at that time weren’t that great to begin with.

Princess spoiled me with great room service and on demand television/movie options. So the introvert that I am was content with reading and spending time hanging out in my cabin.

• Like 2