Question on going from 2 to 1 in a cabin

pbrady

We are getting ready to book but I want to be clear on something first.  If Guest 2 cancels after the booking but before final payment & Guest 1 is still going & paying the single fair,  does Guest 2's deposit just get moved to Guest 1 or do they lose the deposit?   Also asking if getting Celebrity insurance makes a difference in this situation.  I get that you lose the deposit if you cancel w/o the insurance but Guest 1 will essentially be paying the entire cost of the cruise for 2 except the port taxes for Guest 2 (which doesn't go to Celebrity anyway).   Anyone come across this situation?

One more thing - Is the insurance of $600 per cabin (shown for an 11 night cruise) decreased for a single passenger?  

I would recommend calling you agent or Celebrity.   There are many factors in play.

If passenger 2 cancels prior to final payment they would get a full deposit back if have a refundable deposit otherwise with non-refundable deposit you loose $200 and get an FCC. 

If Passenger 2 Cancels prior to Final Payment Passenger 1 would normally have to pay a single supplement  (same amount passenger 1 had paid).    The only way they would get a deposit back would be if you both cancelled the cruise or you gave them 1/2 the deposit back.

Why not search for cruises with no Single supplement and book two cabins?

1st is when was the cruise booked before or after March 2022 -

2nd.   on your booking is there a single suppliment or ar you able to book a single without suppliment

3rd   are you before or after final payment

While I dont know the particulars of your booking.    I believe the same deposit will be due regardless of one or two passengers.   So if your friend were to get their half back you would have to pay what they got back

The only time insurance would come into the equation would be if your friend were to become ill enough to not be able to take the cruise.  Again many things come into play and I'm not sure how cancel any reason policy would affect  one passenger if the second didn't also cancel.

Edited by Jim_Iain

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

...  I believe the same deposit will be due regardless of one or two passengers.   So if your friend were to get their half back you would have to pay what they got back...

I have only ever paid the deposit amount for one person when sailing solo.

5 hours ago, RTShaker said:

I have only ever paid the deposit amount for one person when sailing solo.

Yes I would agree but in the OP's case she is booking with a friend and wants to know if friend backs out.   My assumption is they would have say a $300 deposit (which you would also pay  as a single)  which they each paid half of.    If her friend backs out she would have to cover the other half of the deposit to keep the reservation.  

I suggested that if she could find a no-single supplement cruise they each could book a separate room and not have to worry if her friend canceled.

Thanks for all the input.  There are more complications in this one - we are doing B2B cruises so there is the possible loss of the B2B discount if one guest backs out of either cruise, there is the insurance which I am insisting they book separately (in case the one backs out of one of the cruises).....

How I get stuck with making & following the reservations, I don't know...just lucky I guess.  I am strongly suggesting she find another more dependable friend!!

• Like 1