Looking for Cozumel Chankanaab Park dive shop recommendations

islandwoman

I have dived Cozumel previously, and I know that boat dives reach better sites than shore dives.  But we are arriving at 9 AM on a Celebrity Cruise and also, it will have been nearly a year since we dived.  We'd like to do a weight check and an equipment check etc.  That is not something that is encouraged by boat dive trips who want you to roll into the water and immediately follow the dive master to depth.  So we have decided to go to Chankanaab Park to do a shore dive or two. 

The problem is, the last time (admittedly quite a few years ago now) that I dived Chankanaab Park, I developed an excruciating headache a few minutes into the dive.  I think it was bad air.  I don't remember the name of the dive shop where I rented that tank. 

Can anyone recommend reliable dive shop at Chankanaab Park?

• 5 weeks later...

We have always gone with Cozumel H2O in Cozumel.  They have been fantastic.  Unfortunately they are a boat dive outfit, so not the most helpful information.  You could always email them about renting tanks or ask them about doing a check to make sure they include time / opportunity to do one if you change your mind and do the boat thing.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Thanks 1

If your concern is the late arrival in port, I can tell you I've had two great experiences with Dive Paradise. They are located just across the street from the Wyndham Hotel, which was an $8 cab ride last time (I think rates have gone up a bit since then).

The reason I use them is that they offer what I believe to be the only 10:00 a.m. 2-tank Express Boat. Their state-side rep, Susan, is great to work with, and I've not had more than 4 other divers on the boat with me. I believe this is a far-superior experience to diving with any of the shops at Chankanaab Park. I will be diving with them at the end of this month off Symphony.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

If your concern is the late arrival in port, I can tell you I've had two great experiences with Dive Paradise. They are located just across the street from the Wyndham Hotel, which was an $8 cab ride last time (I think rates have gone up a bit since then).

The reason I use them is that they offer what I believe to be the only 10:00 a.m. 2-tank Express Boat. Their state-side rep, Susan, is great to work with, and I've not had more than 4 other divers on the boat with me. I believe this is a far-superior experience to diving with any of the shops at Chankanaab Park. I will be diving with them at the end of this month off Symphony.

We've already returned from our cruise. We went to Chankanaab Park and just went snorkeling.  But I will keep your information for the next time.  Thank you.

Have a great time next month!

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2022 at 12:30 PM, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

Thanks for this! We are looking to dive in Cozumel in about two weeks and we found Dive Paradise, but weren’t sure about booking them. Glad to hear you had good some good experiences with them! I am hoping your recent one was as well

Great dives on our last visit. Dive buddies were two very experienced divers staying in hotels on the island, and three young guys off one of the Carnival ships and freshly certified.

We did Santa Rosa Wall, a great drift up to 23m with some cool swim-throughs, and Tormentos Reef, a shallower 18m drift which I had never dived before. Visibility was great and the water was 29C!

Enjoy your dives! 

• Like 1