Does NCL Escape use Key-card-activated electricity system in Cabins?

btc1951

3 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

To keep the AC on?

That's our concern when we are out for any extended time.  It's not charging devices.

It's trying really hard NOT to return to a hot cabin/suite, one that could take considerable time to cool off again, especially if we were gone for a full day or such.

GC

The card slot switch controls the lights and outlets.  It does not control the HVAC system.

4 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

The card slot switch controls the lights and outlets.  It does not control the HVAC system.

It definitely does on at least some ships.  (Perhaps not all NCL ships?)

Having the power shut off left a very warm suite, especially if it was a side where the sun was shining...  Our Butler suggested leaving a card in the slot for this specific purpose.  (I don't remember which ship that was on; it may or may not have been NCL, but I think it was.)

GC

7 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Shall I summon the engineer to explain?

There's always airflow of some kind into the room, there's no question about that.  The air that you control with the thermostat device I believe DOES get shut off, or at least reduced in effectiveness when the card is removed.  This may depend on the ship as @GeezerCouple indicated.

2 hours ago, hallux said:

Shall I summon the engineer to explain?

There's always airflow of some kind into the room, there's no question about that.  The air that you control with the thermostat device I believe DOES get shut off, or at least reduced in effectiveness when the card is removed.  This may depend on the ship as @GeezerCouple indicated.

I have traveled on 14 of NCL's 17 ships, including each of the recently built mega-ships which are most likely to feature the key card electric power switch.  On several of them I have experimented with the question of whether the key card switch controlled the HVAC.  In each case, I set the AC to maximum cooling before removing my card to leave the ship for the day.  Upon returning the room was considerably cooler than when I left that morning, indicating that the AC had been operating at full blast the entire day.  This may not be the case on all NCL ships.  I will acknowledge that possibility.  As one who paid for university classes in electrical engineering by working summers as a construction electrician, however, I have always had a deep curiosity in how electrical systems operate.  This inspires me to experiment, test, and verify things like the key card switch.  It is possible that things are different on some ships, or that things have changed since the last time I sailed on one ship or another, but I will stand by the results of my empirical testing and my competence in the operation of electrical systems.

Some of the rechargeable devices may have LITHIUM batteries and thus pose a possible

hazard if left on too long and cooked to a fire temperature. Some of the older models do

not have the automatic shut off or reducing the charging function when fully charged.

Electric toothbrushes aside and USB charging stations should not pose a safety hazard.

In any event leaving a charging device next to material that could spark a fire - avoid that.

No smoking in your stateroom applies to your devices also - - -