Vaccine and testing reqs Kiel Germany port 2022

SoDifficult

Hi all. I've been reading posts on here for years but this is the first of my own.

We embark Preziosa MSC later this month out of Kiel, Germany and are a bit confused regarding vaccines and testing requirements.

The site states: Additional Requirements for Germany

**Two doses of a non European Medicines Agency (EMA) approved vaccine plus an European Medicines Agency (EMA) approved booster (including Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson and Novavax) will be accepted for embarkation only if Guests provide a valid EU Digital Covid Certificate or equivalent or an antigen test taken 24 hours prior arrival in Germany.

So we have a few questions...

1) What specifically does "non European Medicines Agency (EMA) approved vaccine" mean?

One of us is good, but the other has 2 doses of Sputnik V (Gam-COVID-Vac) and 1 Johnson and Johnson booster. Is Sputnik V considered a "non-EMA approved vaccine? Or are we going to have trouble?

2) If the above combination will work, it then states "...will be accepted for embarkation ONLY if Guests provide a valid EU Digital Covid Certificate or equivalent OR an an antigen test taken 24 hours prior arrival in Germany.

So... would 2x Sputnik V + 1 Johnson and Johnson Booster, and a test 24 hours before entering Germany qualify? Or is it better, or even possible, to get the EU Digital Covid Certificate instead? Or am I missing something here?

3) Elsewhere it states we are required to provide a negative antigen test from 48 hours prior to embarkment time. However, based on the above **German notice with the 24 hour test before entering Germany. Does this mean that the 2x non-EMA vax + EMA booster and neg antigen test 24 hours prior to entering Germany will cover the 48 hour test as well?

We will be in Copenhagen, Denmark for a few days then going to Hamburg for 1 night before taking the train to the Kiel port. So if we take a 24 hour test at 12:00 Friday in Denmak, arrive Hamburg, Germany at 12:00 Saturday, embark Kiel 12:00 Sunday, we are all good? Based on this, it would clear the 24 hour Germany req for the vax combo, plus the 48 hour req for MSC.

4) Lastly, any recommendations on where to get the antigen test in Copenhagen? Or is there a way to use the ihealth self test from USPS?

I know I'm overthinking this, but I know people and have read about others who've been denied boarding due to vax and testing issues. We went on a B2B Crystal cruise out of Bahamas last July and they were fine with just our first 2 doses, including Sputnik V. MSC is just far more complicated.

Thanks in advance. Really hope someone can help figure this out.

Edited by SoDifficult

Hi

I found this on the page of the German government.

Since 1st of June there are no Covid related entry requirements active.

Attached is the link of the official German site of the foreign ministery

16 minutes ago, paddy1112 said:

Hi

I found this on the page of the German government.

Since 1st of June there are no Covid related entry requirements active.

Attached is the link of the official German site of the foreign ministery

there is no link attached...fyi.

We are also considering same/similar cruise and not sure if worth it or not...we would fly into Hamburg a few days in advance and then would have to try to figure out how to get a test somewhere there?  It seems like a hastle.

While there are no more covid restrictions in germany, this does not apply to embarkation, where MSC sets the rules.

@SoDifficult To my understanding (just looked up at german MSC website) two doses of Sputnik V (which is a non-EMA approved vaccine) together with one dose of Johnson & Johnson plus negative antigen test should qualify for boarding Preziosa.

This may also be the only possible option. I doubt that an EU digital covid certificate would be given to that person - at least not in germany, because this would require a booster with a mRNA-vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) after two doses of a non-EMA approved vaccine.

We did a cruise with Preziosa from Kiel 3 weeks ago, everything covid-related was checked at embarkation.

Edited by RudiRatlos

1 hour ago, RudiRatlos said:

While there are no more covid restrictions in germany, this does not apply to embarkation, where MSC sets the rules.

@SoDifficult To my understanding (just looked up at german MSC website) two doses of Sputnik V (which is a non-EMA approved vaccine) together with one dose of Johnson & Johnson plus negative antigen test should qualify for boarding Preziosa.

This may also be the only possible option. I doubt that an EU digital covid certificate would be given to that person - at least not in germany, because this would require a booster with a mRNA-vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) after two doses of a non-EMA approved vaccine.

We did a cruise with Preziosa from Kiel 3 weeks ago, everything covid-related was checked at embarkation.

I thought you still had to wear masks in Germany on Public Transportation (but that is just from reading news on the internet!)...You are saying that there are no more mask rules in the country...right?

And secondly, how easy is it to get a Covid test in major city (Hamburg) for the required "within 2 days of sailing" test?  We are thinking of doing the MSC cruise out of Keil, and would fly in 3 or 4 days early (so would have to get the test in Germany).

thanks for your information!

Sorry for the misunderstanding, face masks are mandatory in public transport and some facilities like hospitals and medical practices

(I would not consider this a "restriction", as no one is excluded from using public transport or visiting certain places).

Covid tests are easily available in all german cities - just google "coronatest" or "covid-test" and the name of the city.

Thank you all for the replies. I'm actually on my flight to Copenhagen now. My main concern was the Sputnik V vax, and if that will qualify. Sounds like a yes?

I'm heading to Hamburg this Friday and embarking Sunday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Edited by SoDifficult

• 2 weeks later...

So a few updates. We flew to Copenhagen prior to arrival in Germany. We got our antigen test in Copenhagen, Denmark 48 hours (Friday @ 12pm) prior to our cruise departure out of Kiel, Germany (Sunday @ 12pm). We arrived in Germany Saturday at 4pm, so this test cleared the 24 hours prior to arrival in Germany and also the within 48 hours of embarkment.

The 2x non-EMA (Sputnik V) plus 1x Johnson Johnson dose was accepted, so we got on the cruise ship with no issues.

Public transit in Copenhagen requires no masks, but masks were required, though not enforced, on Germany public transportation.

No mask or testing requirements have been required on the MSC Preziosa. 

I have more to say regarding the actual cruise quality, but that's for another time/post.

Happy cruising!✌️🌏🛳️

Edited by SoDifficult