A Journey to the Last Frontier: Serenade of the Seas Alaskan Itinerary Review

14 minutes ago, Travel R said:

Thank you for the suggestion.

I upload the photos using the "choose files" option (below the dialogue screen) and they all appear one-after the other.

I did not think about being able to manipulate them after they are uploaded (or think that it would be possible) - I'll take your suggestion and insert a hard return between each.

You are always a wealth of knowledge, myself and the CC community do appreciate it.

THANK YOU!

What I do is once they are loaded, I insert them one at a time by touching the desired photograph. Then I hit return, add whatever text I need, hit return again and repeat process.

I try and keep it under 8 pics per post.

Now this is with my Android phone, not sure of iPhone procedure. My laptop is similar, but I'm using Chrome there

Until I can get the photos I took with my camera, here's a few shots of the balcony or from the balcony taken with my cell phone (and I can also play around with the spacing)

The Photos:

• Random shot of the passing scenery with an island in the foreground, snow-capped mountains in the background, with puffy clouds looking down from above
  • A picture of my feet also providing a perspective of how big the hump balcony is. I am sitting on the part that is beyond what the other balcony's include. You can also see the unfortunate obstruction from the life raft covers below.
  • Another photo from the balcony (this time feetless) with a view of a colorful sky and more mountainous landscape beyond. It is also why I would recommend a balcony on an Alaskan cruise.
  • A reflection of the balcony from the sliding door
  • A blazing morning sun rising above the Alaskan frontier - note the low cloud cover awaiting to be cast off by the coming day. [However, some of the cloud cover did stick around as you will see in many of the photos, but it did not hinder our views of the glaciers!]

[@John&LaLa - It worked! Thanks again!!!]

x012.thumb.jpeg.5b00c6c5c306029ef02d519d08362e68.jpeg

x013.thumb.jpeg.ca5226af36a571b602139b7461a9bc57.jpeg

x014.thumb.jpeg.c45a97a0a4ab1644adeb577cf28b3dfd.jpeg

x015.thumb.jpeg.8a22bbc7875f2470a7d4643ebbdb1a5e.jpeg

x016.thumb.jpeg.3dc9271a4bf859b397ea9dad00a0600a.jpeg

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 2

A few more photos of our balcony and stateroom:

• My three wonderful ladies sitting on the balcony (I took the desk chair and placed it outside) as we sailed down the Tracy Arm
  • Two additional photos of the balcony.  One looking forward, the other looking towards aft with my pillow set-up to see over the railing, with my cell phone, camera (case), and note pad ready for me to memorialize this journey,
  • Photo of the balcony from across the room
  • Two photos of the stateroom

From these photos you can see how much space there is and why I love the hump!

Note - I did not take any photos of the cabin from the other direction (towards the door)

P1040057.JPG

P1040412.JPG

P1040434.JPG

P1040544.JPG

P1040557.JPG

P1040559.JPG

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 1

A. Color Commentary

Since the beginning of the written word, Love is the topic most inscribed.  Love is good. Love is nice. Love makes us do crazy things.  However, it should be hunger that should be thrown into center stage as the desire that most greatly motivates mankind and have volumes written to the same heights as love stories. Love is a safe topic.

A good story contains a solid plot, a great story also intertwines great sub-plots (or even better sub-sub-plots).  It is within these peripheries that hunger takes its stand.  Baum places it in his greatest adventures in the form of the a not so subtle Hungry Tiger (famine was a concern in the early 19th century) and Dahl included an always famished Augustus Gloop as a side-story to scorn not only those that overate, but of the larger sin of gluttony. Speaking of which, gluttony, which can be attributed to hunger and overeating, was written in the Good Book centuries before these “modern” stories were put to print.  The bible contains multiple references to hunger – both physical and spiritual. Even the great Bard artfully included the theme of hunger within his cannon (Europe was hit with torrential floods during his life, which wiped out the crops, leading to widespread hunger and food riots); you may remember that the people were up in arms as the curtain rises in Corialanus, and the root of the drama in King Lear is thought to be food, or the lack thereof.

When it comes to doing crazy things, love needs to take a step back to hunger. Real life stories are even more incredible than those found in fiction.  Consider the story of a plane crash in the Andes where the survivors resorted to cannibalism to survive. In the late 1800s, a case (R. vs Dudley and Stephens) was brought before the English court prosecuting survivors of a shipwreck for dining on their cabin boy. While much has been written about the atrocities of World War II, the photos taken after the liberation of concentration camp show the lowest depravity of human nature caused by their fellow human beings. Less known is the story of the prolonged siege of Leningrad (1941-1944). When the food ran out they ate the horses. When the horses ran out they ate the pets, then the rats scuttling about.  When those were gone they ate . . . .

On a cruise we (most of us), like it or not, become gluttons and the cruise lines take pride in allowing us its passengers to turn to our most primitive natures.  Food is available on many ships 24/7, with an overabundance to be found during most waking hours.  For breakfast alone there are four places to eat – and all without a premium added to your bill. If hungry enough, you can hit the Home Run of Breakfasts by having a continental breakfast ordered to your room, then stop by the assortment of Danish and a breakfast sandwich at Park Café on your way to the Main Dining Room for a full sit-down meal, then top it off by heaping a few platefuls of tantalizing morsels at the buffet.

Let us take a moment now to reflect on how lucky we are to be able to partake in such regal sustenance where there are others, even in the world today, that would kill for what some of us may take for granted.

Whoa, that took a 180 turn.  When I sat down to write the commentary, I was going in a completely different direction.  I had originally jotted down the line “After a morning filled with activity, my body roars with an immense appetite to rival the Hungry Tiger of Oz” which was quickly removed and replaced with the above. Not sure why I turned so serious, but I am very fortunate to be able to cruise and travel the world and place three meals before my family day.

[Did You Know: The Wizard of Oz was a series of books written by Frank L. Baum.  There were 14 books in the series and was very popular during the first half of the 20th century.  While Dorothy is the main character, and the Tin Man, Scarecrow, and the Cowardly Lion appeared throughout the series, there were a number of other side characters that became just as important to the storyline.  The movie, released in 1939, only covers 2/3rds of the first book and a number of the facts were changed (e.g., Dorothy’s Ruby Red slippers were Silver in the book, but the Ruby Red showed up better in technicolor). The books are not very long and written for kids, but it is an interesting and very quick read and allows you to see more vividly the world Baum had created.

Baum had passed in 1919, meaning that his works have been in the Public Domain since 1989 (which is why Wicked was able to be easily published, then produced on Broadway (the show was very good, but the book was a lot better). I wonder if it would be viable to make another movie or TV series based on books 2 thru 14. If interested, PM me.]

B. Breakfast

Sitting down for breakfast is a rarity for me.  When courting the 9 to 5 routing, I awaken early, walk the dog, log into my computer to take care of personal stuff (e.g., writing posts on cruise critic), and make myself breakfast (with my laptop right on the counter next to me).  I then stand while consuming my morning’s repast.  On weekends, I am on my feet by the crack of dawn (of course walk the dog) reach for a banana and some protein, then head out for a ride or a run.  Once back home, it is usually a quick breakfast before showering and starting my day. 

The only constant exception is the first Sunday of each month when my DD17 and I sample different diners in NJ. [This began about 2 years ago when I was teaching her to drive.  I would ask her drive to a different diner each week to get her used to travelling on the highways. Although she is now a very good, licensed driver, we have continued the tradition (once a month) and have visited multiple diners all over the state of New Jersey. Her embarkation to attend university this fall will be bittersweet, particularly on the first Sunday of each month.]

While my non-cruise life is usually hectic and I am on the move, I do enjoy the chance to sit down and enjoy a leisurely breakfast – especially with my family. In this post I will describe my experiences in the various food venues onboard, and the service provided. In addition, I will take to commenting on the food served.  Please note that when it comes to food, all opinions are respected since taste is subjective.  However, I was employed in the restaurant industry for a number of years. I originally slaved as a bus buy and worked my way to chef. I have also authored articles and have been writing a culinary-themed blog for about 6 years. Does it mean that my opinion on how the food tastes is of more authority than anyone else – no. But it does mean that I might know slightly more than the average Joe about whether a particular dish was prepared in an acceptable manner.

C. Breakfast in the MDR

Breakfast in the Reflections Main Dining Room was on Deck #4.  I do not remember a morning where we waited more than 3 minutes to be seating, and many times we were seated almost immediately.  The venue opened at 8 AM, and we usually arrived a few minutes after. Most people are seated by the window first, and although we arrived only minutes after opening, most window seats were taken (and I usually asked for one each morning – but we did get one on our last day of the cruise).  The room was never very crowded, nor was it ever filled to capacity and some mornings (e.g., days at sea) it looked fairly empty when we first arrived. If we were seated close to other tables many times good conversation was had.

The MDR menu never changed, and (or a family member) had most of the items listed. I will go through the menu as it appeared each morning and give you my 2 cents.

Healthy Start

Granola Parfait – they offer three types of yogurt (plain, blueberry, and strawberry) with berries and granola on top. This was the thing my DDs enjoyed most on the menu. After a few days I ordered it with plain yogurt – all that came out was plain yogurt without berries or granola. I decided not to return it, but when I took a spoonful the yogurt tasted like it had turned (my DW also ordered it with strawberry, and her yogurt was also no good). I decided to take a change later on and it was not bad.

Seasonal Fruit Plate – It’s fruit, can’t say anything bad. Although it is not very large and never came with bananas.

Breakfast Power Wrap – None of us tried this. It included cheese and did not want to play my odds on getting something with cheese in it.

From the Bakery

Danishes, Croissants, Muffins -  Croissants were good and flakey (although could have been more buttery), Danishes were good based upon your personal tastes (my DW’s favorite were the cinnamon), and the Muffins were okay

Cereal

Hot Cereals – I had the Oatmeal a few times (with raisins and brown sugar) good, but it was always very watery. I did not have the cream of wheat or grits (I believe the grits were served with cheese)

Cold Cereals – I had the Raisin Bran a few times.  After not enjoying most items on the menu, my DW would order a double portion of Rice Krispies. She really did not enjoy most of the items she had ordered (including eggs), so she relegated herself to Rice Krispies and Danish for the second half of the trip.

Entrées

Express Breakfast – Not bad, the eggs were cooked well and the sausage was very good. The bacon was nice and crispy, but too thin.

Eggs Your Way – I ordered a sunny side up egg one day to go with my pancakes. The eggs were too well done so the yolks were dry and hard, which kind of defeats the purpose of ordering sunny side up eggs

Omelet Your Way – This was the dish most ordered by me.  Besides the sunny side up eggs, the remainder of the egg dishes were prepared well.  I ordered various omelets (without cheese) throughout the week and was satisfied.

Breakfast Burrito – My DD ordered this early in the week and was not impressed.

NY Bagel and Lox – My DW ordered this on the first morning we arrived at the MDR. Although the lox was good, she detested the bagel (as I had mentioned in a prior post – definitely not NY bagels) and was turned off by the sauteed onions (a real NY bagel and lox should have raw onions).  She did not order it again (although I make it for her quite often back home). It’s something called a bagel that looks like, but does not taste like a bagel with smoked salmon.

The Classic Benedict – This was something I was excited to see on the menu.  The Hollandaise sauce was good, the ham used was tasty, but the bread they placed under it all was horrible (the same “English Muffin” they used at Park Café for the egg and cheese sandwich). I only ordered it once.

Market Vegetable Breakfast Bowl – None in my party ordered this.

French Toast – My DD22 ordered this early in the cruise and was not favorably taken with it. I tried it on a subsequent day with the same opinion.  The dish was not very fluffy or flavorful without the whipped cream and strawberries.  The strawberries were not fresh (more of a compote) and had that sugary frozen taste to it. Of course, I am partial to a French toast made with a brioche bread, which IMHO would have also enhanced the taste (and consistency).

[Food for thought: The dish was not originated in France, but in Albany New York. An innkeeper named Joseph French created the dish and not being an English major, listed it at French toast instead of French’s toast.

Buttermilk Pancakes – I tried the chocolate (from my daughter) and ordered the banana pancakes myself – I did not care for the batter they used, too thick and not very fluffy, although they were most likely made fresh, they tasted more like frozen than not.  My advice – add a touch of Cream of Tartar to make the flapjacks fluffier, and a few drops of vanilla extract to enhance and provide an extra level to the taste, also add a few more eggs to the batter provide for a more enjoyable consistency.

Sides

The sausage was good (nicely spiced, but probably frozen and just hated up), the bacon good and nice and crispy (but too thin). The corned beef hash was okay, but very salty, and the hash brown potatoes were nothing to write home about (little taste and probably frozen and baked).

Coffee – as previously mentioned, the brew was “okay” at best with enough milk/cream and sweeteners.

Sorry if you believe that my food review as of yet has been too critical, but this is exactly how I saw (tasted) it. Generally, I thought that throughout the cruise, I felt that any dishes built around bread for its base came out flat. The breakfasts were nothing to write home about, but to tell you the truth, even a week after coming home, all I remember about this meal was the time spent with my family and sitting down to a relaxing meal.

Although I may not have always enjoyed the fare, it was a relaxing and enjoyable experience.

@RoyalCaribbean or any other cruise line – if you would like to provide compensation in the form of a complimentary cruise (for myself and my wife), we would be willing to reciprocate as taste-testers to not only provide comments and criticism on the food and its preparation, but to also add suggestions on how to enhance each of the dishes. Please PM me with your interest and we can work out the details. I am being serious, please contact me.

C. Breakfast in the Windjammer

To sum up my critique of this venue: the dishes in the windjammer were average at best. This venue, however, provided for a larger selection of items than in the MDR, although like the MDR, the dishes seemed to be the same each day.  The highlights (for me) were the waffles where you can add your own toppings, a few of the Pan-American rices, and the baked beans (which, as I had once discovered, is a big breakfast thing in the UK). A big benefit is that you could take as much bacon as you wished (which I did).

I was not impressed with the buffet on this ship for any of our meals throughout the cruise in general – the quantity of the food was in great supply, but the quality of the food did not hold to my expectations based on prior sailings. I found this disheartening since I really love buffets, especially breakfasts (I used to love Big Boys buffet breakfasts when on vacations, but have not been to one in years. [Did you know: there are 274 Big Boy restaurants in Japan.]), and have been to a few others through the years.  This was weak in comparison – even compared to prior cruises on RCI or other cruise lines.

The buffet has returned to its pre-COVID ways (it’s been like that for a little while not on the Serenade). Although there are still no trays available, passengers are free to take food from the buffet themselves (i.e., not served by the staff). Many are still as slow as molasses, still taking items with their hands, and still eating food while waiting on the buffet lines. My personal pet peeve – still piling the food on their plates and leaving a ton of uneaten food behind. Things never change.

[Tips: (1) Arrive at the WJ early or late – if you go during prime-time, it will be crowded and seating will be limited, especially in bad weather when the outdoor spillover will be unavailable. (2) There are usually one or two stations for made-to-order food in the WJ located towards the back/middle of the food section.  During our sailing, the station on the left provided waffles (not exactly made-to-order, but they are constantly being cooked nearby) and you added your own items from a toppings bar, on the right you could order omelets where they will add your favorite fillers. (3) If there is an item the staff is serving and you want more, do not be shy and ask for more. (4) Wash your hands before AND after eating.]

D. Breakfast: Park Café (already discussed)

The third option as I had already discussed in detail previously is the Park Café.  A very small selection, but a lot less crowded and boisterous than other options, especially if you get up late and just want a small bite with a side of java while lounging in the Solarium.

E. Room Service

We did not make use of this service during our cruise. But note that unlike our earlier days of cruising there is a limited complimentary menu (only) in the mornings and an upcharge for the remainder of the day (with a larger menu). Partaking in breakfast via room service is a nice option allowing one to order coffee and pastries to have out on your deck without the inconvenience of leaving your stateroom. [Note: The premium room service is $7.95 plus an automatic 18% tip, so order as much as you want.]

In sum, no one is going to go hungry on a cruise. Whereas I may have experienced a culinary nightmare, my nightmare on this very same cruise may have been a heavenly cornucopia to others.

Up Next . . . . A Tour of the Mighty Cruise Ship Serenade

Edited by Travel R

Photos from the various breakfasts during the week:

• Pancakes with a "fruit" topping
  • Eggs Benedict
  • Danishes and deserts at Park Café 
  • Early morning sunrise from the Park Cafe area
  • Egg sandwich (sans the cheese) from Park Café
  • Heaping Pile of food courtesy of the Windjammer

P1030813.JPG

P1030817.JPG

P1030827.JPG

P1030882.JPG

P1030887.JPG

P1030893.JPG

Edited by Travel R

More breakfast photos and food porn:

• Oatmeal and toasted bagel (with lox and butter)
  • A look at the morning's welcome through a window in the MDR
  • The outside section of the Windjammer devoid of passengers at 6 AM
  • Eggs Benedict (again)
  • Half-eaten bagel (not particularly appetizing, but I thought it may make for a good study shot)
  • Scrambled Eggs
  • Coke and a sandwich at a hotel - could have been breakfast (or dinner)

P1040191.JPG

P1040188.JPG

P1040539.JPG

P1040691.JPG

P1040692.JPG

P1040693.JPG

P1040801.JPG

Edited by Travel R

Doing this same ship/itinerary in a couple of weeks. Seeing your breakfast review (and some of the other reviews of other ships) has left me feeling slightly apprehensive about the food situation.

crossing my fingers for your dinner reviews!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zimmerman said:

Doing this same ship/itinerary in a couple of weeks. Seeing your breakfast review (and some of the other reviews of other ships) has left me feeling slightly apprehensive about the food situation.

crossing my fingers for your dinner reviews!

Although your despondency toward dinner is rational, there were a few highlights amidst a plethora of disappointments. In my opinion, the evening meal rated much higher, although my family was only slightly more pleased with their selections.

Here's a teaser: We had relegated ourselves solely to the MDR for dinner and left the Windjammer to the fancy of others.  I've read good things about the steaks in Chops in this cruise, however, sans the upcharge, the complementary steak in the MDR was one of the highlights. I will admit, I am usually quick to criticize such an entrée at most eateries, but I found it to be cooked to the degree requested, tender to the bite, and well seasoned). Other highlights such as the Prime Rib, Escargot, and the Fried Chicken (yes, really), will be discussed during the the 6:30 - 8:00 Chapter of this thread (and I will also note that the desserts were fabulous); following a tour around the ship, our ports and excursions, and lunch.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

2 hours ago, Travel R said:

P1040801.JPG

Edited 2 hours ago by Travel R

I apologize - this was neither breakfast or dinner. Upon further review of the packaging (I read it), this sandwich was a quick snack we had picked up from a food trek on the way back to the hotel while in Vancouver.

We are on this cruise next month and I want to add my thanks for your detailed, and entertaining, review!  I’m still trying to decide what clothes to pack, so if you have more suggestions about that, it would be appreciated.  

I’ll be following along for the rest of your journey!  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, justKirbo said:

I'm enjoying your review and writing. We're not on this cruise but instead doing the Ovation out of Seattle in a few weeks. Thanks for doing this.

Thank you for the compliments.

If you are wondering, why do I do this, I do it for a few reasons:

1) For the memories - I do go back from time to time to look at what I wrote to remember some of the things myself and my family had done or seen.  And sometimes to remember certain details that would have otherwise gone lost. In the months prior to this cruise I did go back to read the reviews I had written for our prior cruises.

2) To give back - Over the years I have learned so very much from Cruise Critic and our fellow members, and I feel that through these reviews I can give back and help other cruisers. Sometimes it may be by providing certain details that a reader may not have otherwise known, but also it may be learning through my mistakes. If even one cruiser can benefit by my rantings, I have done my job.

3) I like to write.  I have been in the publishing industry (although it has been referred the information industry the past decade or so) for nearly 30 years. At work most of my writing and editing is non-fictional (accounting, auditing, finance), so here I get to "spread my wings" and while the content (cruising, excursions, etc.) is non-fictional in nature, I can use my artistic license and have fun with it.

PS: From other's that have been on the Ovation, I heard that the views from the observation room is amazing with a 270 degree crow's nest view of your surroundings. Not to mention all the newer bells and whistles that the Serenade does not have.

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FrancinaTravels said:

We are on this cruise next month and I want to add my thanks for your detailed, and entertaining, review!  I’m still trying to decide what clothes to pack, so if you have more suggestions about that, it would be appreciated.  

I’ll be following along for the rest of your journey!  

You should attack this in steps.

1) What will you need to wear for the glacier viewings.

2) What you will need to wear for your excursions.

3) What you will need to wear during the day (on the ship)

4) What you will need to wear for dinner

5) What you will need to wear to sleep and exercise

Based on what you will need for each, create a combined list. If you are not okay with wearing pants two times, you can use the laundry service, or bring detergent and clean in your cabin's sink (I do this for my fitness wear).

Glacier Viewings (from outside: balcony/deck)

• Good socks
  • Long Pants (My DW wears her heavier pants)
  • T-shirt
  • Long-sleeve shirt
  • Long-sleeve sweatshirt/sweater
  • "Heavier" jacket - something not too-bulky, but nothing that is too flimsy to do any good. Something with a hood is recommended, as well as if it can also work as a wind-breaker.  I wore a "hoodie" sweatshirt (my rain jacket could ask as a wind-breaker if needed)
  • Wool hat
  • Rain jacket or poncho
  • Optional: Gloves, scarf, toe and hand warmers

Excursions

For outdoor excursions, depending on weather and temperature, it could be similar to the above.

Depending on expected temperature (we checked our phones once we reached port), my DW and DDs either wore long pants or shorts, along with t-shirts, and everyone brought along a long-sleeve sweatshirt (I brought the lighter of my two).

I brought along a backpack to stow away our sweatshirts when it became too warm, but in the backpack, I also brought along two wool hats and a pair of hand/toe warmers - none of which we had used.

If you have one of the excursions that go atop the glacier, look at their suggestions, they may list gloves and boots.

During the Day

I wore shorts most days (on and off the ship), my DW and DDs would vary.  Most of the day we wore some type of t-shirt, with socks and sneakers. However, my DW would almost always have a sweatshirt with her to wear in case she got cold on the ship (e.g., depending where you sat in the WJ, there could be a cool breeze, or if we were taking a walk along the top deck).

I brought 1 t-shirt for each day.  Yes, I wore some shorts more than once (oh my).

I brought more than enough underwear, not just for each day, but also for exercising.

Dinner

For dinner I brought along 3 pair of dress slacks, a polo shirt for each night, and shoes and black socks. [Yes, I did wear each of the slacks twice.]

For the formal nights, I brought along and wore a suit with button-down and tie.

I'll talk about formal night a little later in this review, but not many people wore shorts (and there were those that unfortunately had the airports lost their luggage and had no other choice).  Most people looked decent.  A lot of people wore button-down shirts (many without ties) and polo shirts, but there was a number of people (like me) wearing a suit. There were a pax in jeans and t-shirts to round out the passengers.

Sleepwear and Fitness

This is up to you and what you wear when off to the land of slumber or when sweating up above. Note - I bring detergent to clean my gym clothing so I do not need to bring too many pair.

I hope this helps,

Travel R

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I appreciate your self awareness.

Just tellin' it how it is.

Thus far the review for the current cruise has not placed the culinary offerings in a positive light, my family is throwing this experience out the window and considering a cruise on RCI again for next year. We understand that supply chain and staffing issues have impacted the food options currently presented, and believe during the due course of the coming year, most of these inadequacies will be corrected.

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Back to Alaska, or....?

Alaska is in the queue for the future, but unfortunately not that soon. Although I already have a desired itinerary planned out, at least in my head.

We will be sailing much further south: Mexico, Belize, and Honduras, out of Tampa. We are waiting for a few planets to align so I can book (like a nice BOGO sale, or $0 down payment, since we will again be sailing with my DDs).  Yeah, the ship is old as sin (Grandeur), but the itinerary looks intriguing. 

Edited by Travel R

A. Color Commentary

Star Ship Date 29.06.2022.

The morning operation to consume the rations has been completed.

Next mission to launch in approximately 1 hour; will take time to stake out current local and native inhabitants.

Scouting report shows that the locals are friendly, will provide libations by merely showing a plastic card. Structure is approximately twelve levels in height in the form of a floating city. Multiple venues are contained with supplying nourishment and entertainment. Easy to navigate by foot or glass-enclosed people movers. Camouflage not needed – attire for fitting into the populace incognito includes shorts or jeans with a t-shirt or sweatshirt emblazoned with the name of a city or state. Local customs seem to include nonstop eating, a fascination with snow and ice, and the answering of trivia.

Recommendation: Continue with Operation Enjoy Alaska

[Note to self: stop it with these goofy entries. This is a Cruise Ship not a Star Ship.]

B. Ship Services

Throughout the ship one can find a number RCI services available, especially up and down the levels of the Centrum. Although conveniently located, we did not use most of them, including:

• Next Cruise – you are able to book a future cruise with some early-bird savings. The advertisement states up to $600.
  • Loyalty Ambassador – no need for us to visit during this cruise (still a lot of nights to cruise on RCI before Diamond), and
  • Business Center – you can pay for time on their computers (and internet)
  • Conference Room – we were not attending any conferences, nor had a large group that needed to meet
  • Medical Clinic – Thank goodness we did not have to go to medical this cruise.
  • Shore Excursion Desk – Two of our three excursion were not through RCI, and there was no issues with the one we booked pre-cruise, so there was no need to visit

The one service I did pay a visit (once) was Guest Services, and since I did not write down the reason  (in my notes) for this quest, I have since completely forgotten the main reason for my going (maybe about a discrepancy in the Compass via the Royal App), but I do remember asking them for the weather at the upcoming port (the person behind the desk Googled it on her phone – LOL!). The line (in the morning) was very short and the person at the desk was happy and helpful.

Yeah, I know, as a family we are very much self-sufficient. If (when), one day, we ever get to sail in high-style via a suite, we are going to have one very bored genie.

C. Internet (On and Off the ship)

C1. Internet Package (Zoom)

Not sure how much help I am going to be here as well, since we did not purchase the Internet Package. Speaking to other passengers, they commented that the connection was good, but not great and some during the sailing could be spotty (although it is far better than in years past).

C2. Free WiFi Connectivity

My family made use of the Internet when we sailed closer to port, and for Juneau, Sitka, and Ketchikan, we received a Wi-Fi signal a few miles out of each location while still on the ship (so you do not need to wait until closed in to a port, and when close I tested the strength of the signal.

No one needed WiFi during or vacation for work or any urgent matter, and there were enough other things to keep everyone busy, so we have continued our tradition of not purchasing WiFi while on a vacation.

As it turns out, the amount of Internet we received during the trip was more than enough for myself and my DW – and my DDs were okay with it (although they did lose a few Snapchat “streaks” during the stretch between Ketchikan and Vancouver.).

[Did You Know: The source code for the world’s first web browser was publicly released on April 30, 1993, making it possible for the world to communicate via the Internet, and almost thirty years later complain about how bad it is on cruise ships.]

D. Photos

Although I try to dress for formal night, it is a very rare occasion when myself or my DW to purchase a photo. In nine cruises we had only done so twice – on our very first cruise (the photo when we boarded the ship) and the cruise where we were accompanied by both friends and family. For this trip we took the obligatory photo before entering the ship, and the one when they came around to our table.  [They had a station set up by the stairwell we go down to get to the MDR, but avoided it during both formal nights.] My DW stopped by the shop to peruse through the photos, but as usual, exited the shop without a single purchase.

Although we did not use the service, it may be a good way to capture these moments in professional photos of yourself or your family while donning your Sunday best (or whatever you are wearing at the time). The only exception is when the girls have travelled internationally without us – I will pay for the package through the phone company.

As an aside, we still used our phones. Besides taking plenty of photos on my camera, we took multiple pics on our cell phones for the memories – in addition to asking fellow pax sometimes take photos of us as a family. I will admit, however, there were some early mornings lying in bed where I played Solitaire on the phone (no Internet needed).

[Did You Know: The first photograph to ever believed to be taken was taken by Nicephore Niepce in 1826 and the details of its subject can be explained by its title “View from the Window at Le Gras.”]

E. COVID and Cleanliness Protocols

Most of the COVID protocols are relegated to the physicality of boarding the cruise ship. 

• Getting vaxed.
  • Providing proof that you are vaxed.
  • Getting tested in a narrow window of time prior to the cruise.
  • Providing proof that you are negative.
  • Wearing a mask while going through security/customs

Once onboard passengers are free walk around unmasked in any venue and although there are some signs to mask-up and keep your distance (and suggestions in the Compass) in addition to a few mentioned from time to time, masking and distancing is really not pushed.  The crew, however, are all masked (and as mentioned, my first steward became and remained on sick call after Day 4; no notice as to her illness).

As to cleanliness, it is the same as in the past – with a few additional anti-bacterial machines positioned throughout the ship. There is the usual welcome person at the WJ telling you to use hand sanitizer and clean your hands. One of the WJ "welcomers" on our cruise was highly entertaining – he danced, he sang, he hit the walls to a beat, it placed a smile on (most) passengers as we walked by. As mentioned above – passengers were free to serve themselves at the buffet (but no trays to be found).

At this point we should all know a thing or two about masking and distancing; we have been living with this pandemic long enough (far too long). 

I will admit that myself and my family did not wear masks, and probably did not think much about distancing, except for once. While on line one night (it was a formal night) for entry into the MDR, I heard a girl (wearing a mask) in front of us coughing and stating (in a low voice) that she thinks she has temperature to another, then asked the other individual to feel her forehead.  They felt the girl’s forehead and nodded yes. While I would have expected at least the girl with the cough to withdraw to their stateroom, herself and her party remained online to sit for dinner.  I could not have covered my face with my own mask any faster, then immediately requested my family to follow suit (yes – we carried masks on our persons throughout the cruise), in addition to taking a step back. Luckily, we were seated a moment later. I am not going to argue the validity of vaxing, testing, or wearing masks, but if you have symptoms any illness, stay in your cabin, especially while on a cruise ship – it’s not a hard concept to comprehend.

However, there were several people wearing masks on the cruise (and in ports). In fact, there was a family (of 4) that each donned masks during our (informal) M&G (Meet and Greet).  Overall, wearing masks was not the fashion of this sailing. I sat side-by-side with many others in the theaters, the bars/lounges, and other venues without nary a mask in-sight. This was also true of the elevators where we were sometimes packed face-to-face inside the glass cages like sardines.

[Warning: I am not sure how the conversation began, but my DD22 was talking to our first room steward (we shared the same one) who mentioned that they (the room attendants) are asked to look at the contents of the garbage of the rooms they are cleaning.  If there are too many tissues or other items that may indicate illness by one of the passengers, they are supposed to report it to their manager.]

Post cruise there were a large number of members on the FB page for this sailing that reported testing positive for COVID after the cruise, and one unfortunate couple that tested positive while on the ship and spent 10 days looking at four walls in a Vancouver hotel. I felt ill myself a few days after the cruise and thought I may have contracted C-19, but fortuitously tested negative on two occasions a few days apart. I think back to that girl with the cough and temperature on the queue to enter the MDR; I am sure at some point, she at the very least, removed her mask to eat.

[Did You Know: The following was an origin I had always wondered about, but did not research until now . . . the etymology of the term/word “Norovirus.” The first known outbreak occurred in 1968 in the city of Norwalk, Ohio (no, not on a cruise ship), and it is from this city where its name was derived.]

F. Ship Announcements

We had an issue hearing any of the announcements from our room. In fact, we had to open the door to our stateroom to discern anything that was being said (which was really annoying, especially when in or recently exiting the shower).  Not sure if it was a bad speaker in the room or if it was supposed to transmit over the TV and working improperly.

G. Ship’s TV

I had posted a list of channels in my prior thread, but while upon the ship, the corresponding station #s were different. I did not compare them until I arrived back home, so never jotted down the exact channel #s (my apologies).

From the recesses of my memory, I recall that channel 3 was the ship’s channel that displayed our location and various other info such as speed, depth of the water, how far we have travelled, temperature, local/ship time and a few other pieces of data. Chanel 24 showed the bridge cam focused forward of the ship (with a view of the helipad; and some keep this channel all evening to serve as a nightlight). 

The cruise directors show could be seen on Chanel 2 in the morning hours (their “show” reminded me of watching QVC – although they were selling the RCI/ship’s services and excursion instead of trinkets and costume jewelry); but it was left on to play in the background. Chanel 30 was the Chanel Guide.  There was one movie station, and a decent movie could be found every now and again. I did not watch much, but from time to time would skim through the stations to see what was on. I only had the time to watch one flick (and partial at that) – the Gunfighter (1950) with Gregory Peck; BTW a classic western with a fantastic storyline that is not like most westerns of the time, a few child-oriented stations, some sports stations, BBC and a few other news stations. [Tip:  although I jest about the cruise director’s show, they do provide some helpful info on last two mornings of the cruise regarding disembarkation.]

I took issue with only one aspect of the TV - the Closed Captioning functionality did not work.  There were a few times when I was away too early in the morning to get up and walk around the ship (or exercise) that I would have watched a movie with CC while the was TV on mute so not to awaken my DW. I may have been nice if we had the options for more movies, but in hindsight, I am in the cabin long enough to enjoy.

If someone has a list of the channels on the Serenade and would like to supplement this post, it would be appreciated.

H. Royal App

Not part of the layout of the ship, but in the earlier section of this thread, I have not come around to discussing the Royal, so this is a good of a place as any to discuss.  Prior to this voyage, I believed the App would be a necessary tool needed for all aspects of the ship’s enjoyment.  The Royal App was not needed while on the cruise itself, but did play a hand in providing convenience for specific instances, such as: checking on an event or activity later in the week or the desire get an early start on deciding on what to eat from the evening’s menu. Yes, I did make use of the later option – its never to early to have your dinner order ready.

The Royal App did come in very handy pre-cruise for Check-in, uploading documents, and various health and safety protocols. Because many of the activity and entertainment options were not posted or modified within the week before sailing and many on the day of, it was only marginally beneficial for pre-cruise planning.

I downloaded the App fairly late in the game – I only did so when required to download our COVID vaccination information.  [Note: The uploading of documents/information to the App was very easy and done fairly quickly.] At that time I uploaded this information there were only a few activities and entertainment options available for viewing, although did provide the dinner menus (which is probably the same for each sailing).  As we got closer to the cruise, RCI began to add and modify their activity and entrainment offering (e.g., there were not many live entertainment options listed, even two weeks prior to sailing, but they added a lot to the cruise/App after we boarded). A caveat - what RCI lists on the Royal App pre-cruise may be modified.

Although the App acted in some ways like a crystal ball, providing a glimpse at future menus and entertainment, for me the App’s weakness (while aboard) is the failure to provide a chronological list of the activities, entertainment, etc. on a given day as provided in the Compass. Although it is possible to create a schedule of activities you want to see/attend (on the App), if changes occur, it is not easy to easily ascertain what your alternatives may be. Until the Royal App has that functionality, I hope they do not do away with the distribution of copies of the Compass.

[Did You Know: The first mobile App was included with the Nokia 6110 (in 1997). It was the game “Snake” and was built into the system.]

I. Elevators & Outward Looking Ship

One of the benefits for sailing the Serenade on the Alaskan itinerary is that she is a little smaller than her RCI cousins sailing Alaska, and that the vessel is an outward-looking ship.  In almost every venue there are large windows that look out onto the ocean and the surrounding wilderness outside.  Even the elevators are placed on the exterior of the ship and include large glass windows that allow her guests to enjoy an amazing vista of natural beauty. The Serenade includes a helipad with a mostly unobstructed views of the surrounding environment, especially when sailing the Tracy Arm, Sawyer Glacier, and the Hubbard Glacier.

[Side note: I have read a number of reviews from pax that have sailed the Ovation – that also seems like a great ship to see the 49th state, especially with it’s 270 degree viewing rooms (and other newer bells and whistles). The big difference between the two ships is that Serenade can dock at more ports than the Ovation due to its smaller size. Other ship on this and other lines all have their benefits and detractors when sailing in Alaska.]

Although I will note that some of the windows need replacing or a good cleaning – they are not as transparent as they probably were when the ship was first launched two decades ago (2002). The thousands of nautical miles, salt water, mother nature, and sea air do take their toll after a while.

Like all of their ships, the day of the week is printed on the carpeting on the elevator’s flooring and swapped out each morning. But since the views are amazing while looking outward, why would anyone look down to notice?

[Did You Know: The world’s first glass elevator was built during the 1950s at the El Cortez Hotel in San Diego, CA. Did this provide inspiration to Dahl?]

J. Navigating the Ship

The Serenade is not a very large ship (comparatively) and figuring out how to traverse from one desired venue to the next became easy after only a day or two (it’s the Serenade, not the Oasis).  Tip: The key is to determine which direction is forward (front) or aft (rear). This can be deduced by the direction indicated on the signage (it will literally have an arrow with the word “aft” or “forward”). A second way to determine direction is to look outside (which is perfect for this type of vessel) – the waves/wake is moving toward aft. Then once you know that the dining room and Windjammer is aft and the main Theater is forward, all other venues are relative).

K. Premium Coffee (Café Latitudes)

On previous cruises my DW had usually frequently asked me to pick up some premium coffee on my way back from exercising (and she would usually take it to the MDR with her).  She mentioned premium coffee only once while we were wondering about the ship, and did not mention it to me again. I believe she purchased coffee early on in the cruise (obviously without me) and did not care for it much. I will drink almost any coffee – I just put enough sweetener and flavorings in it to dampen the taste, so I was okay with the complimentary coffee served throughout the ship. [Tip: The coffee café has a rewards card, so if you purchase “X” amount of coffees, you can get one “free.”]

I sadly have no photo of the coffee shop or ice cream parlor to share. What is interesting is that early in the cruise I saw a long line and my DW said that it was for the coffee place, but I do not ever remember seeing it (or the ice cream case (Ben & Jerry's).  It is located on Deck 6 and open almost all day (11 AM to 10 PM).  Although I had frequented the Schooner and Safari lounges on the same deck multiple times throughout the cruise, they were a turn away from the staircase, and but once, I really needed to traverse deck 6 (which also kept me away from the casino).

L. Review of Compass

Not sure if I should have opened this section with a discussion of the all-informative Compass, or not, but here it lies. As most of you know, the Compass is a short newsletter that provides the day’s happenings (activities, entertainment, etc.) taking place throughout the ship.

This four-page booklet is extremely helpful. Since it is provided the previous evening, you can plan the following day. You can ascertain where you will need to be, and at what times, and in the obverse, determine what you will be missing due to these already-selected activities.  The Compass differs from the Royal App. Events, entertainment, etc., are displayed separately by time for that day only. In contrast, in the App a person can see what activities are available for a specific category, in addition to the days and times it will be available; but you cannot easily view each activity to compare it with other activities occurring on that day. 

I personally find it much easier to plan my day using the Compass (until the App can be formatted in a similar fashion). FYI, when the cruise industry emerged from the pandemic, RCI was withholding physical copies of the Compass unless it was specifically requested by the passenger to the stateroom attendant. Luckily, this was not the case on our cruise, nor had I heard of any instances on the Serenade during past sailings (I made a request for two copies to be provided each day).

[Tip: Many passengers make sure to pack a highlighter, marker, or pen so they can mark-up the Compass to make it easier for them to plan their days. I have brought a pen and highlighter on the past several cruise, but I have yet marked up my daily schedule with either of these writing implements.]

Besides the information on activities and entertainment, the Compass also provides information about the various venues such as dining, shopping, and ship’s services, including phone numbers (extensions). The Compass is also used as a means of advertisement, notifying passengers about sales and deals going on around the ship (e.g., one to be on the lookout for is the day of the laundry sale).

[Note: The Compass is printed two days in advance, so it will not reflect any last-minute changes.] I prefer the format of the Compass-type newsletter on Carnival (Fun Times), the pertinent activity information is perforated making it easier to cut out and take with you, instead of having to take the entire booklet.

M. Royal Shops

I only walked into one or two briefly as I made my way across Deck 5. It was just a quick browse, with no intention to purchase anything – and this included the kiosks in the center of the aisle.  My DW and DDs also did a separate walk-through and did a little browsing themselves, but also kept their money in their pockets.  Sorry, I did not look at comparative prices of watches, jewelry, or any other items, so I do not even know if they had good deals.

N. Heliport

There is a heliport/helipad at the forward part of the ship (in the front).  It is accessible from Deck 5.  I have not seen it closed off to the public (although was only on it during the viewing of the Hubbard Glacier).  A view of the helipad can be seen all times via the ship's TV on channel 24. It is not just a place to view glaciers, I have seen people taking in the views from that location at the bread of dawn to watch the sun rise over the Alaskan skies (~4:15 AM).

P. Food Venues, Bars, and Lounges

This post is not all-inclusive and deliberately leaves off a number of areas of the ship that will be discussed separately, such as food venues, bars, and lounges. Since my children are much older, and I have little knowledge of their current status, I have refrained from commenting on those areas as well. Evening entertainment venues such as the Theatre and Disco will also be discussed at a later time.

If you have a question about any area of the ship please feel free to ask (even if it has not been discussed as of yet; or if you want more details about an area already put forth.

Up Next . . . . Ports, Excursions, and Glaciers (It's the part I have been looking forward to, hopefully you are looking forward to it too.)

Can't get to the photos I had taken with my camera right now, but here's a few from my cell phone to tide us over right now . . .

Photos:

• A page taken from the Compass
  • The day-plate from one of the elevators
  • A view of the Serenity Pool area (yeah, I may have already shared this)
  • A negative COVID test (since it was mentioned in this post)

Although I had my cell phone with me during most of this voyage (something I originally did not want to do), I did not take many pictures, for which I used my camera (something I also had with me at all times).

x017.jpeg

x003.JPG

x018.jpeg

x019.jpeg

Edited by Travel R